LISTEN: The 49ers Pick Is In! →

There are 372 users in the forums

The Soccer Thread 13/14

He's baaaaaaack!!!!!!!

Will get some playing time in a Copa del Rey match today before facing Atletico on Saturday.
Originally posted by NinerAce:
He's baaaaaaack!!!!!!!

Will get some playing time in a Copa del Rey match today before facing Atletico on Saturday.

Definitely back!!!!!

2 goles and a few good runs and passes in just 30 minutes... in form already.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
He's baaaaaaack!!!!!!!

Definitely back!!!!!

2 goles and a few good runs and passes in just 30 minutes... in form already.

Damn it I missed it. f**kin A

Glad he's back though. Bar a still ahead of Real in liga
Originally posted by 4ML:

Don't miss the game on Saturday, bro. Atletico is a very physical team. Should be an awesome match.
  • NickV
  • Veteran

Eusebio died on Sunday of a heart attack aged 71.

He was laid to rest in wet weather at the Lumiar cemetery in the north of the city soon after nightfall.

Earlier, thousands lined Lisbon's streets as the funeral cortege passed on its way from Benfica's Luz stadium where cheering fans paid tribute.

Mourners applauded and held up flowers on seeing the coffin draped in the colours of Eusebio's club Benfica.

At the stadium, some 10,000 fans sang and let off firecrackers. The coffin was placed briefly on a golden plinth at the centre of the pitch before the hearse took it on a circuit of the stadium.

"For me, he is simply the creator of football," said 24-year-old fan Luis Marques.

One banner left at a statue of Eusebio read: "I haven't come to say goodbye, but to say thank you."

Widely considered one of the best players of all time, he scored 733 times in 745 professional matches.

Famed for his blistering acceleration and dribbling skills, Eusebio was named European Footballer of the Year in 1965.

He won the European Cup with Benfica in 1962 and was in the side that lost to Manchester United in the 1968 Wembley final.

In the 1966 World Cup, Eusebio's goals helped Portugal win all their group games as title holders Brazil were eliminated in the first round.

He then starred in a dramatic 5-3 win over North Korea in the quarter-finals, with his four goals helping his side come back from 3-0 down.

Portugal went on to lose 2-1 in the last four to England, with Eusebio in tears as he left the pitch at the end of the game.

Obviously wayy before my time, but this is the guiy my Dad grew up cheering and rooting for when he was a kid. Portugals greatest player (until CR7 retires) and Benficas best player by a long long way. Sad day for all Benfiquistas. Sundays game against the pigs (Porto) is going to have extra emotion. Hopefully this event gels the team together and push them towards the title.
[ Edited by NickV on Jan 9, 2014 at 9:14 AM ]
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

Don't miss the game on Saturday, bro. Atletico is a very physical team. Should be an awesome match.

Not missing that for anything. When Messi went down...I was hoping he'll be back for this game against Atletico.

Btw...who do think should sit out? Sanchez and Pedro have been playing lights out and obviously Neymar can't be kept out. So, who do you pick between Pedro and Sanchez?

IMO...Pedro should go back to being a sub in the 58-60th minute. That's a better role for him...but if Sanchez is struggling - maybe sub him out at halftime. I also love the way Fab is playing this year. This is what was expected from him when he joined. Both Sanchez and Fab took couple years but now they're a HUGE part of this team.
Not missing that for anything. When Messi went down...I was hoping he'll be back for this game against Atletico.

Btw...who do think should sit out? Sanchez and Pedro have been playing lights out and obviously Neymar can't be kept out. So, who do you pick between Pedro and Sanchez?

IMO...Pedro should go back to being a sub in the 58-60th minute. That's a better role for him...but if Sanchez is struggling - maybe sub him out at halftime. I also love the way Fab is playing this year. This is what was expected from him when he joined. Both Sanchez and Fab took couple years but now they're a HUGE part of this team.

I think Alexis should start over Pedro as well. And I think Martino agrees too. In the two games this calendar year, Alexis has been subbed and Pedro has not, which leads me to believe that Pedro will be rested on Saturday.

Fab has been great but I think he will also start on the bench and come in for Iniesta or Xavi in the last third of the game.

I think Alexis should start over Pedro as well. And I think Martino agrees too. In the two games this calendar year, Alexis has been subbed and Pedro has not, which leads me to believe that Pedro will be rested on Saturday.

Fab has been great but I think he will also start on the bench and come in for Iniesta or Xavi in the last third of the game.

Rumors from a Barca newspaper are that Martino might not start Messi tomorrow... that it will be Neymar-Cesc-Alexis up front. Also that Mascherano will start over Bartra... I would prefer Bartra. Otherwise, the starting 11 will be as expected.
Hi all, I support leeds united, the team that knocked barca out of the 1975 european cup semi finals :)
[ Edited by woody01530 on Jan 10, 2014 at 11:31 AM ]
Originally posted by woody01530:
Hi all, I support leeds united, the team that knocked barca out of the 1975 european cup semi finals :)

I have the programme from that game

Hello strategic partners. Take it you're all supporting Leeds United from here on in.

We all love Leeds
We all love Leeds

Rumors from a Barca newspaper are that Martino might not start Messi tomorrow... that it will be Neymar-Cesc-Alexis up front. Also that Mascherano will start over Bartra... I would prefer Bartra. Otherwise, the starting 11 will be as expected.

Now it looks like both Messi and Neymar well start on the bench.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

Now it looks like both Messi and Neymar well start on the bench.

It was kind of frustrating. We didn't go for the kill and that's disappointing. Oh well...it was a really fun game.
Originally posted by NickV:

Eusebio died on Sunday of a heart attack aged 71.

He was laid to rest in wet weather at the Lumiar cemetery in the north of the city soon after nightfall.

Earlier, thousands lined Lisbon's streets as the funeral cortege passed on its way from Benfica's Luz stadium where cheering fans paid tribute.

Mourners applauded and held up flowers on seeing the coffin draped in the colours of Eusebio's club Benfica.

At the stadium, some 10,000 fans sang and let off firecrackers. The coffin was placed briefly on a golden plinth at the centre of the pitch before the hearse took it on a circuit of the stadium.

"For me, he is simply the creator of football," said 24-year-old fan Luis Marques.

One banner left at a statue of Eusebio read: "I haven't come to say goodbye, but to say thank you."

Widely considered one of the best players of all time, he scored 733 times in 745 professional matches.

Famed for his blistering acceleration and dribbling skills, Eusebio was named European Footballer of the Year in 1965.

He won the European Cup with Benfica in 1962 and was in the side that lost to Manchester United in the 1968 Wembley final.

In the 1966 World Cup, Eusebio's goals helped Portugal win all their group games as title holders Brazil were eliminated in the first round.

He then starred in a dramatic 5-3 win over North Korea in the quarter-finals, with his four goals helping his side come back from 3-0 down.

Portugal went on to lose 2-1 in the last four to England, with Eusebio in tears as he left the pitch at the end of the game.

Obviously wayy before my time, but this is the guiy my Dad grew up cheering and rooting for when he was a kid. Portugals greatest player (until CR7 retires) and Benficas best player by a long long way. Sad day for all Benfiquistas. Sundays game against the pigs (Porto) is going to have extra emotion. Hopefully this event gels the team together and push them towards the title.

LEGEND
Ballon d'Or results:
1 - Cristiano Ronaldo (28% of the votes)
2 - Lionel Messi (25%)
3 - Frank Ribery (23%)

Congrats to Ronaldo on his second award!
Share 49ersWebzone