LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 133 users in the forums

The Soccer Thread 13/14

• Silky
  • Veteran
What a rough draw. The US has to play out of their minds to advance.
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
Just remember back to 2002 fellas! Where we advanced to the quarters by beating #1 Portugal and tying host SKorea. It is possible!!!!!!

Although, man its gonna be tough...

Much like the Niners this year, I think they can do it. Not sure if they will, though.
  • Silky
  • Veteran
Didn't Vernon give a speech to the last WC team? I know he did the curling thing, but I remember him doing something for soccer.
Damn, what a rough draw.

Have to come out with urgency because that first game will be must-win. Have to beat Ghana with Germany and Portugal on deck.

Oh well, let's do it!
Semi-homefield advantage doe....those other three NTs are coming to the Western Hemisphere

Best chance in a while for the US to surprise
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Semi-homefield advantage doe....those other three NTs are coming to the Western Hemisphere

It's only a 2 hr difference for Ghana and Portugal doe
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:

Lmao you already sound desperate
The only way I see the US advancing is, sadly, tying either Germany or Portugal, beating Ghana, and hoping that other things break our way. Like having Germany beat everyone, Portugal tying both us and Ghana, and then us beating Ghana.

Playing for ties... Exactly the kind of thing that keeps soccer from catching on here....
Man...we just can't get a break can we? What a draw...

Regardless, I think we may be able to at least give these teams a fight and battle it out for that runner-up spot coming out of this group. Call it homerism, whatever. I believe.

In other news, WHAT A DRAW FOR IRAN! My motherland has never had a better chance of getting their first World Cup group stage win (again, not talking about advancing, just a win would do for now)! Argentina, Bosnia, and Nigeria! Now definitely no pushovers but Bosnia and Nigeria are teams they could definitely hang with and squeeze a win or two out of. I'm very happy for them and their fortunate drawing. Hopefully, it leads to something! Knowing them, they could very well go 0-3 lol

Good week for Neymar. Came very close to having back to back Hat tricks.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerAce:
Good week for Neymar. Came very close to having back to back Hat tricks.

He has played (surprisingly) great since day 1. Now, he's playing more confidently and looking to score. With Messi out - this is exactly what barca needed
Originally posted by 4ML:
He has played (surprisingly) great since day 1. Now, he's playing more confidently and looking to score. With Messi out - this is exactly what barca needed

11 goles, 10 assists in 23 games... excellent indeed. Has gotten comfortable with the Barca system a lot quicker than anyone thought.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerAce:
Originally posted by 4ML:

11 goles, 10 assists in 23 games... excellent indeed. Has gotten comfortable with the Barca system a lot quicker than anyone thought.

Definitely.

I fukin' hate the fact that Barca is facing ManCity in CL.

Share 49ersWebzone