LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 268 users in the forums

2012-13 Los Angeles Lakers Thread

Originally posted by jrg:
Orlando obviously ran a different system than LA, but still Howard should at least have the ball in his hands 99% of possessions. He may pass out, but the offense needs to run through him imo.

Uh.....what? The offense needs to run through Dwight? I agree that he needs to get his touches, but he's not playing with Jason Richardson and jameer f**king Nelson anymore.
Mike Trudell ‏@LakersReporter

So, @DwightHoward is dunking in multiple teammates in 5-on-5-on-5 drills. Looks terrific, and large. Video later.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
I think the statement - if backed up by actions - is HUGE on Kobe's part for a few reasons. First, he's incentivizing Howard to re-sign with the Lakers (financial reasons notwithstanding). Second, he's buying patience in an effort to head-off issues. It's like the wealthy power broker telling the child on his lap, "someday, all of this will be yours" in an effort to get the kid to appreciate it and, at the same time, not undermine daddy while he's in control.

Finally, Kobe can always give Howard the Superchicken line: "Fred, you knew the job was dangerous when you took it." Howard came here KNOWING (or at least he should have known) that he was not going to be The Man. Yet.

I can't argue with a man who backs his argument with Superchicken lines. #respect

This all just feels a little too good to be true right now, to be honest.
They ain't played a game yet, bro. A LOT could happen. It is going to be a fun ride, though.***

• jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Orlando obviously ran a different system than LA, but still Howard should at least have the ball in his hands 99% of possessions. He may pass out, but the offense needs to run through him imo.

Uh.....what? The offense needs to run through Dwight? I agree that he needs to get his touches, but he's not playing with Jason Richardson and jameer f**king Nelson anymore.

Offense flows through the most dominant player. Nobody is more dominant on the Lakers than Howard. What I'm really getting at is he needs to at least touch the ball each possession in my opinion.
Yes sir...

LOL at Pau.
[ Edited by LA9erFan on Oct 4, 2012 at 4:54 PM ]

Offense flows through the most dominant player. Nobody is more dominant on the Lakers than Howard. What I'm really getting at is he needs to at least touch the ball each possession in my opinion.

Like I said, he needs to get his touches. But this is no ordinary squad he's joining. Literally a HoFer at every position in the starting lineup. He's never been on a team with so much talent. Not many have, actually. It's not like he's racked up with Jameer Nelson and Hedo.
  • jrg
  • Veteran

Like I said, he needs to get his touches. But this is no ordinary squad he's joining. Literally a HoFer at every position in the starting lineup. He's never been on a team with so much talent. Not many have, actually. It's not like he's racked up with Jameer Nelson and Hedo.

Doesn't matter who he is playing with. You guys are running an offense based off constant passing and motion. Who better to create open looks for the rest of the team than Dwight Howard. Howard commands double teams most of the time. That will give your Kobe and Nash and Gasol their shots. And..since you have now said it twice..I realize he isn't w/ Orlando anymore.
[ Edited by jrg on Oct 4, 2012 at 5:35 PM ]

Doesn't matter who he is playing with. You guys are running an offense based off constant passing and motion. Who better to create open looks for the rest of the team than Dwight Howard. And..since you have now said it twice..I realize he isn't w/ Orlando anymore.

• jrg
  • Veteran

Doesn't matter who he is playing with. You guys are running an offense based off constant passing and motion. Who better to create open looks for the rest of the team than Dwight Howard. And..since you have now said it twice..I realize he isn't w/ Orlando anymore.

Well yeah..

Obviously Nash, lol..but I mean when Howard is being hounded down in the paint.

Well yeah..

I've said all along that he needs his touches. My point the whole time is it's Nash's show. He's gonna decide and generate the offense. Mike Brown has said it more than once. This is Nash's show. As it should be.
  • jrg
  • Veteran

Well yeah..

I've said all along that he needs his touches. My point the whole time is it's Nash's show. He's gonna decide and generate the offense. Mike Brown has said it more than once. This is Nash's show. As it should be.

We'll see. I may be just used to the 2 plays the Magic ran under SVG. Either a pick and roll w/ Jameer and Howard or Jameer dribbling down court, passing down into the paint to Howard (and D12 either taking it to the rack or kicking it out to a 3pt shooter).
My understanding is that a big part of the Laker offense is going to start with a Nash/Howard pick and roll, which flows into the Princeton offense once Howard rolls to the hoop. (if a scoring opportunity hasn't been created off of the pick & roll)

The great thing about Howard is that he doesn't need to touch the ball to get guys open. He runs so well in transition that wings/guards have to help on him in order to buy time for their big man to get back. That means that there are guards and forwards open on the perimeter in semi-transition. Orlando got buckets off of this all the time, and it was Howard who got the guy open by running the court. Secondly, he's such a huge threat on the pick and roll that he gets a ton of the defense's attention, and they have to collapse into the paint, which again gets guys open on the perimeter. He's definitely a threat in the post as well, but he doesn't NEED the ball to get guys open. Just being a threat gets guys open.

That's the beauty of Nash & Howard. Howard's going to be getting guys open by drawing attention, and then you have Steve friggin' Nash deciding which open guy to give it to. They're arguably the two best players in the league in those particular situations, they're playing together, and those two things compliment each other instead of getting in each other's way. I can hardly wait.
Guys, this is Ron Artest's team. Don't get it twisted
Webzone kings lakers meetup??
Share 49ersWebzone