LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 254 users in the forums

2012-13 Los Angeles Lakers Thread

doesn't meek score in bunches?
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
^

http://www.telly.com/I79XH?fromtwitvid=1

Why does Dwight end up taking a jumper from the top of the key?

Haha, that was just where they decided to stop the sequence. If they go to that spot in a game scenario, ideally Dwight would be going to the rack instead of shooting a jumper. But there were 7 different scoring options before they got to that cut.

#1 - Nash gives it to Howard rolling to the hoop.
#2 - Nash racks it himself.
#3 - Artest with the corner 3 if the defense collapses on Nash.
#4 - Skip pass to Kobe for the open shot (Nash made this pass)
#5 - Dwight in the post (Kobe made this pass)
#6 - Kobe for a jumper off the rub screen by Artest (Dwight made this pass)
#7 - Pau in the post on the weakside.
#8 - Dwight flashing middle (Nash made this pass and Dwight took the shot)

I'm really curious to see Princeton in game action this year.
Holy f**k so many options. If I was Nash my head would explode
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:
doesn't meek score in bunches?

he does now
Nash needs to really do something about that hair. Lol
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:

There goes gasol slouching in the pic , pau needs to get his mojo back!

...in accordance with the prophecy...
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Curious to see how Howards goofiness will mesh with Bryants seriousness.
Originally posted by jrg:

was just going to post this. I love that Kobe is all business and takes his emotions out on the basketball court, but I really hope Dwight opens him up and the Lakers play FUN basketball. Seeing Nash, Kobe, Ron, Gasol, and Dwight having fun and playing basketball seems like it would be ridiculously entertaining

Kobe's quote on this was "Even great whites swim with a smile."

I think Kobe will be good for Dwight in terms of teaching him how to be a champion, but I'm more concerned about Kobe making him feel like he's part of the "supporting cast". This is still Kobe's team, because he's going into his 17th year with the team and is still a great player, but Dwight's better than he is at this point. I don't think Dwight will take kindly to the idea that he's along for the ride on this, which I understand.
[ Edited by LA9erFan on Oct 4, 2012 at 11:53 AM ]

I think Kobe will be good for Dwight in terms of teaching him how to be a champion, but I'm more concerned about Kobe making him feel like he's part of the "supporting cast". This is still Kobe's team, because he's going into his 17th year with the team and is still a great player, but Dwight's better than he is at this point. I don't think Dwight will take kindly to the idea that he's along for the ride on this, which I understand.

I've never seen Howard as a goofball on the court. Off is a whole different story. No problem with that.

Kobe's already laying the foundation for heading that last issue off, P: When he was talking on media day about this being HIS team now, he also made it clear that he is near the end and that when he's gone, it is going to be HOWARD's team.
  • jrg
  • Veteran

Exactly. That's another thing. What if Kobe is throwing up 28 shots a night and the Lakers lose and Howard starts thinking "WTF this is my team now"

You and I both know how selfish Dwight can be. Didn't used to be that way, but if he isn't getting his touches it'll get interesting.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Orlando obviously ran a different system than LA, but still Howard should at least have the ball in his hands 99% of possessions. He may pass out, but the offense needs to run through him imo.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
I've never seen Howard as a goofball on the court. Off is a whole different story. No problem with that.

Kobe's already laying the foundation for heading that last issue off, P: When he was talking on media day about this being HIS team now, he also made it clear that he is near the end and that when he's gone, it is going to be HOWARD's team.

Ya, Howard brings it every single night. There are a couple of technical things that separate Howard from Bynum (pick & roll defense being the biggest one), but really, the main difference between the two is that you know what you're going to get with Howard. You get the same guy every night. That's not to say he doesn't have bad games, but in terms of attitude, he's extremely consistent. He's actually very similar to Kobe in this respect.

I don't think that's much of a statement on the Lakers becoming Howard's team once Kobe's gone. That much is pretty obvious. The personality of this team is primarily formed by Kobe, which makes it his team, but it also doesn't make Howard an underling either. Howard has more of an impact on the game at this point in his career, and I'm worried that Kobe's going to feel threatened by that while he's still around. I'm not worried about it being Howard's team when Kobe's gone, I'm worried about how they mesh when they're together.

Buss & Kupchak basically kicked open a 2 year championship window, and I think the two most likely things that could derail that are injuries and ego. That said, Kobe knows how to win titles, and I don't think he gets NEARLY enough credit for sacrificing his game to win 3 titles with Shaq. I think they'll figure it out.
[ Edited by LA9erFan on Oct 4, 2012 at 12:13 PM ]
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

Ya, Howard brings it every single night. There are a couple of technical things that separate Howard from Bynum (pick & roll defense being the biggest one), but really, the main difference between the two is that you know what you're going to get with Howard. You get the same guy every night. That's not to say he doesn't have bad games, but in terms of attitude, he's extremely consistent. He's actually very similar to Kobe in this respect.

I don't think that's much of a statement on the Lakers becoming Howard's team once Kobe's gone. That much is pretty obvious. The personality of this team is primarily formed by Kobe, which makes it his team, but it also doesn't make Howard an underling either. Howard has more of an impact on the game at this point in his career, and I'm worried that Kobe's going to feel threatened by that while he's still around. I'm not worried about it being Howard's team when Kobe's gone, I'm worried about how they mesh when they're together.

Buss & Kupchak basically kicked open a 2 year championship window, and I think the two most likely things that could derail that are injuries and ego. That said, Kobe knows how to win titles, and I don't think he gets NEARLY enough credit for sacrificing his game to win 3 titles with Shaq. I think they'll figure it out.

I think the statement - if backed up by actions - is HUGE on Kobe's part for a few reasons. First, he's incentivizing Howard to re-sign with the Lakers (financial reasons notwithstanding). Second, he's buying patience in an effort to head-off issues. It's like the wealthy power broker telling the child on his lap, "someday, all of this will be yours" in an effort to get the kid to appreciate it and, at the same time, not undermine daddy while he's in control.

Finally, Kobe can always give Howard the Superchicken line: "Fred, you knew the job was dangerous when you took it." Howard came here KNOWING (or at least he should have known) that he was not going to be The Man. Yet.
Share 49ersWebzone