There are 135 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2012-13 Los Angeles Lakers Thread

He said they will not duplicate the 7 seconds or less offense. Said this team is not built the same way his other teams were. He said they will use more if not all of the shot clock to get the shot they want.
Lakers ownership is a disaster right now. Jerry must be senile, because everything seems to be driven by his idiot son Jimmy. We're now on the third coaching change by Jimmy, and this one could get real ugly.

Ugly enough for us to lose Dwight at the end of the season.
He said he would be lucky if Nate McMillan chose to come to the Lakers to be apart of his staff. He said if he joined the Lakers, he wouldn't think he would be here long before somebody offered him a head coaching job.
Originally posted by kray28:
Lakers ownership is a disaster right now. Jerry must be senile, because everything seems to be driven by his idiot son Jimmy. We're now on the third coaching change by Jimmy, and this one could get real ugly.

Dwight's not going anywhere.
Still not decided on when he will start coaching the team. They asked him about Friday or Sunday, but he said he needs to see how he feels after the flight. Everything still up in the air, as far as when he takes the reigns.
Originally posted by DaDDieO:
An Uptempo, high-octane offense with old legs and an ailing back, huh? This is gonna be interesting.

Grant Hill & Jerry West both made the same point recently regarding this. They said that an uptempo style is a lot easier on older players because they're not banging up against the opposition in a half court set as much. Their argument was that from an injury perspective, this is easier on old guys.

The problem is that normally old guys CAN'T run with the younguns. Nash is an exception to that rule & Howard is the best floor running big in the league (and he's fairly young). I think Kobe would be effective if running from the SF position. Artest = no way....Pau = less than ideal, unless Howard's on the bench and he's playing center.

It's definitely gonna be interesting.
He said that he won't rush the transition to his system. He'll just let the play at first, and slowly add bits and pieces. Having Nash will help the rest of the team learn the system.
Said he won't try to limit Nash's minutes too much. Acknowledged that he's older than when he had him before, but he'll let Steve decide if he needs more rest or not.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

Mike Brown proved to be a mistake, but forgive me for not feeling like our management has been a disaster 7 games after an offseason where we acquired Steve Nash and Dwight Howard, and certainly not because we went from Mike Brown to Mike D'Antoni.

The Randy Pfund days were a disaster. This is a transition that we needed to make, and I'm glad they had the stones to make it now instead of waiting another 20 games.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:

Mike Brown proved to be a mistake, but forgive me for not feeling like our management has been a disaster 7 games after an offseason where we acquired Steve Nash and Dwight Howard, and certainly not because we went from Mike Brown to Mike D'Antoni.

The Randy Pfund days were a disaster. This is a transition that we needed to make, and I'm glad they had the stones to make it now instead of waiting another 20 games.

Agreed. No doubt it's a cluster f**k, but it's 100% needed to happen. Rather sooner than later.
Kupchak's comments to the press about the Phil situation:

Quote:
KEVIN DING @KevinDing

Just talked to Mitch Kupchak, who said Lakers decided they could overcome PR situation of not hiring Phil and pick coach they wanted more.

Mike Bresnahan @Mike_Bresnahan

Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak on his midnight phone call to Phil J: "In those kind of situations, there's not a lot of small talk."

Dave McMenamin @mcten

Mitch Kupchak met with the Lakers beat writers today to clear up how D'Antoni/PJax went down. His message: the P&R was better fit than the triangle offense

Mike Trudell @LakersReporter

In essence, Kupchak and Dr. Buss/Jim Buss thought D'Antoni's system best fit the personnel, & maximized Howard & Nash.

KEVIN DING @KevinDing

It boiled down to how much more use Mike D'Antoni could get out of Nash and Howard despite "enormous pressure" to hire Phil, Kupchak said.

Mike Trudell @LakersReporter

Difficult not to hire Phil, but they didn't think the triangle suited personnel as well, particularly w/the season already underway.

KEVIN DING @KevinDing

I asked Kupchak about whether Phil had a vision for using Nash in the triangle. Kupchak said: "Obviously I wasn't convinced."
Said he won't try to limit Nash's minutes too much. Acknowledged that he's older than when he had him before, but he'll let Steve decide if he needs more rest or not.

I'll be surprised if Nash even plays half the season.It took him about a game and a quarter to get hurt. It was Phoenix' awesome medical staff that somehow kept him playing all these years. Look at Grant Hill, he leaves the Suns, and he's already hurt now.

Sorry, but the way they treated Phil was so utterly bush league that I am having a tough time coping with my disappointment.

I'll be surprised if Nash even plays half the season.It took him about a game and a quarter to get hurt. It was Phoenix' awesome medical staff that somehow kept him playing all these years. Look at Grant Hill, he leaves the Suns, and he's already hurt now.

A guy kneed him hard below the knee and hairline fractured his leg. Not much you can do to prevent that.

Get the Latest News at Lakers365.com