There are 75 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2012-13 Los Angeles Lakers Thread

• 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Kobe made First Team All-NBA for a record-tying 11th time.

You shoulda heard the warriors play by play guy Bob Fitzgerald on the radio. Saying how Curry got robbed and Kobe didn't deserve to be on the First team because the Lakers were so horrible this year. lol

lol...the guy is tripping. Curry got robbed of all-star nod, not all-nba teams. He's not there yet. All-NBA teams are hard to make. James Harden made the 3rd team...and he had an amazing season. Curry won't make the 4th team if they had one.
I'm kinda hoping Dwight leaves. The best case scenario would be that he re-signs and we trade him at the deadline or next summer, but I think that's unlikely.

If he walks, I think we'd be smart to approach Kobe and see if he'd be agreeable to a trade, because we're blowing it up. Chicago makes sense for all parties involved, IMO. I'm hoping that Pau's gone either way. Supposedly Charlotte is interested in him.
I'm kinda hoping Dwight leaves. The best case scenario would be that he re-signs and we trade him at the deadline or next summer, but I think that's unlikely.

If he walks, I think we'd be smart to approach Kobe and see if he'd be agreeable to a trade, because we're blowing it up. Chicago makes sense for all parties involved, IMO. I'm hoping that Pau's gone either way. Supposedly Charlotte is interested in him.

Trade Kobe?

Trade Kobe?

I cant believe he said that

I get you just want to blow things up and rebuild from scratch but I just don't think thats going to happen. Kobe isn't going to agree to a trade and management, as well as Kobe, isn't going to be ok with just giving up on next year. There's just 0% likelihood of us shipping Kobe, even if he demanded that we do so! The city of LA would explode and Kupchak and Jim Buss' heads would have billion dollar rewards on them.

I think it's highly likely we attempt to do this: Resign Dwight, keep Pau, and give it all one last go next year (aka repeat this nightmare of a season AGAIN presuming the injury bug sticks around). Then in 2014, pending Kobe's health, we're just going to have Nash and Dwight on payroll and throw as much cash as possible to one of the marquee FAs (LeBron, Carmelo, Paul George) and try to gobble up a guy or two from a list that consists of a lot of intriguing quality guys (Eric Bledsoe, Avery Bradley, OJ Mayo, Kyle Lowry, Luol Deng, Andre Igoudala, Chris Bosh). I think we all agree that's what management WANTS to happen.

We can't hope to rebuild via the draft, what do we have? A 2013 2nd rounder, 2014 1st rounder, 2015 2nd rounder? Sure, we suck it up this year, our 2014 1st rounder could be a top 5 pick and we call it a day but at what cost? The heat and turmoil that would surround a terrible Laker team this entire upcoming year would be historical.

What I'm hoping for still remains that Kobe rehabs the entire season and sits it out. We resign Dwight. Trade Pau to Charlotte for the #4 overall pick, Tyrus Thomas, and Sessions (I think that works salary wise, maybe off by a bit). We then ship Sessions (3rd team involved in deal) or buy him out. We draft Trey Burke and have him and Dwight go out there every night with Nash and the current roster. I would imagine that the team we'd send out there would be bad enough to get us a top 10 pick. Then in 2014, we get a solid draft pick in what should be a rich draft class and still have cap room to make a splash in FA. Resign a fully rehabbed and ready to go Kobe to a MODEST one-year deal (with a player option for a 2nd year) and we go out there and try to make something happen in 2015.

Trade Kobe?

Absolutely. We're not contending for a title next year if Dwight leaves (chances are slim even if he stays)...why not get something in exchange for Kobe to help us rebuild? You think Kobe's gonna wanna stick around on a team that has no shot at a title in his last years?
And I believe our assistant Steve Clifford just got signed as Charlotte's HC. Hopefully, he has a crush on Pau?

Trade Kobe?

Absolutely. We're not contending for a title next year if Dwight leaves (chances are slim even if he stays)...why not get something in exchange for Kobe to help us rebuild? You think Kobe's gonna wanna stick around on a team that has no shot at a title in his last years?

I hear you, but it's still blasphemous.

When I think of the team not being in contention, I think back to the tear before we got Pau. Phil was handing out quotes about how we weren't close, blah blah blah. Insert Pau, and it's 3 straight Finals appearances. I know it's not that easy, but with a franchise like the Lakers with the means and the ability to make it happen, I say don't trade Kobe ever in forever ever.
Originally posted by GameOver:
I get you just want to blow things up and rebuild from scratch but I just don't think thats going to happen. Kobe isn't going to agree to a trade and management, as well as Kobe, isn't going to be ok with just giving up on next year. There's just 0% likelihood of us shipping Kobe, even if he demanded that we do so! The city of LA would explode and Kupchak and Jim Buss' heads would have billion dollar rewards on them.

I think it's highly likely we attempt to do this: Resign Dwight, keep Pau, and give it all one last go next year (aka repeat this nightmare of a season AGAIN presuming the injury bug sticks around). Then in 2014, pending Kobe's health, we're just going to have Nash and Dwight on payroll and throw as much cash as possible to one of the marquee FAs (LeBron, Carmelo, Paul George) and try to gobble up a guy or two from a list that consists of a lot of intriguing quality guys (Eric Bledsoe, Avery Bradley, OJ Mayo, Kyle Lowry, Luol Deng, Andre Igoudala, Chris Bosh). I think we all agree that's what management WANTS to happen.

We can't hope to rebuild via the draft, what do we have? A 2013 2nd rounder, 2014 1st rounder, 2015 2nd rounder? Sure, we suck it up this year, our 2014 1st rounder could be a top 5 pick and we call it a day but at what cost? The heat and turmoil that would surround a terrible Laker team this entire upcoming year would be historical.

What I'm hoping for still remains that Kobe rehabs the entire season and sits it out. We resign Dwight. Trade Pau to Charlotte for the #4 overall pick, Tyrus Thomas, and Sessions (I think that works salary wise, maybe off by a bit). We then ship Sessions (3rd team involved in deal) or buy him out. We draft Trey Burke and have him and Dwight go out there every night with Nash and the current roster. I would imagine that the team we'd send out there would be bad enough to get us a top 10 pick. Then in 2014, we get a solid draft pick in what should be a rich draft class and still have cap room to make a splash in FA. Resign a fully rehabbed and ready to go Kobe to a MODEST one-year deal (with a player option for a 2nd year) and we go out there and try to make something happen in 2015.

Paul George is a restricted free agent, and Indiana would match a max offer for him without batting an eye. He gets a 3 year extension next summer, just like every other young stud has, and he won't hit FA until '17.

I really don't think LeBron is going anywhere, but you obviously go after him if he wants to come.

Carmelo? Being invested in Dwight & Carmelo with little cap space for much else and being locked into them for 4 years sounds like a title team? Sounds to me like a 2nd round exit every year with no flexibility at all.

Eric Bledsoe & Avery Bradley are guys that are RFA's that you'd have to throw ridiculous money at to get. They're not going anywhere without being extremely overpaid, which is inherently a bad idea. OJ Mayo, Kyle Lowry, Luol Deng, Andre Igoudala, Chris Bosh? You MIGHT be able to get Mayo or Lowry if you have 2 max guys, and the rest of the roster is full of minimum players. The other guys will make too much. Howard + Melo + Lowry + merry minimums? Not close to a title contender.

I know the team won't deal Kobe, even if Dwight walks. But it's what they should do. Kobe + Pau + Nash means we're not a title contender, and we're not bad enough to get a top pick. The '14 draft is one of our best chances to rebuild. Deal Kobe & Pau for picks and/or young players on rookie contracts. LA will always be a destination for stud FA's. We won't always have a chance to build through the draft. We've never won a title without a superstar that we've acquired through the draft. If we expect to build the next champion solely through free agency, we're on crack. That's what you call the New York Knicks.
I hear you, but it's still blasphemous.

When I think of the team not being in contention, I think back to the tear before we got Pau. Phil was handing out quotes about how we weren't close, blah blah blah. Insert Pau, and it's 3 straight Finals appearances. I know it's not that easy, but with a franchise like the Lakers with the means and the ability to make it happen, I say don't trade Kobe ever in forever ever.

The Lakers had a franchise talent on the roster at the time, a very promising young player (Bynum), a really good role player (Lamar), and most importantly...the assets to trade for a guy like Gasol. (Marc Gasol, biggest expiring contract in the league, draft picks) We don't have any of that. Going into next year, the assets that we have are Steve Nash & the 2014 draft pick. The first 1st Round pick that we can trade isn't until 2019. It's not the same thing.
Chicago gets: Kobe Bryant
Lakers get: Jimmy Butler, Charlotte's 1st Round pick (probably a 2016 pick), Carlos Boozer, Richard Hamilton, Kirk Hinrich

Lakers do this because: They desperately need assets to rebuild. Butler's a superb player making pennies on a rookie contract, Charlotte's 1st Rounder will likely be very high, because they're a terrible organization, and the other guys are included to make the trade legal.

Chicago does this because: Rose/Kobe/Deng/Gibson/Noah is arguably the title favorite.

Kobe does this because: Why would he want to spend his last years on a rebuilding team with no shot at a title?

Charlotte gets: Pau Gasol
Lakers get: #4 pick in '13 draft, Ben Gordon, Tyrus Thomas

Believe it or not, this is a rumor coming out of Charlotte. They would be insane to do this, but they're a terrible organization, so who knows. They'd like to get out of Thomas' contract (expiring in '15), want front court scoring, and don't think highly of this draft. Like I said, I think it's insane, but you absolutely do this if you're the Lakers.

So anyway, after all the , it comes down to this IMO when it comes to rebuilding the Lakers.

Step 1) Liquidate all of your assets NOW, while you still can. And that includes Kobe. Let's say that the deals above went through & MWP was amnestied.

2013-14 Lakers

PG: Steve Nash, Steve Blake, Kirk Hinrich
SG: Ben Gordon, Richard Hamilton
SF: Jimmy Butler
PF: Carlos Boozer, Anthony Bennett (drafted w/4th pick)
C: Jordan Hill, Robert Sacre

That team suuuuuucks. Probably the worst in the NBA. Puts the Lakers in great position to get either Andrew Wiggins or Jabari Parker. IMO, Wiggins is a sure fire superstar, and Parker's close behind. But let's say we don't get a Top 2 pick with that team, and draft #4 and get Andrew Harrison instead.

2014 Free Agents of Note: LeBron James (but let's say he stays in Miami)

2014-15 Lakers

PG: Andrew Harrison
SG: someone bad
SF: Jimmy Butler
PF: Anthony Bennett
C: Someone bad

This is probably still one of the 5 worst teams in the NBA. The Lakers pick is Top 5 protected in '15, but even if they lose it they're in good shape.

TL;DR summary

Stud free agents will always want to come to LA. Between 2015-17, you have a lot of stud FA's. In this scenario, you get Butler, a top pick in this year's draft, give yourself a shot at Andrew Wiggins, Jabari Parker, or one of the other studs in '14, perhaps a Top 5 pick in '15, Charlotte's pick in '16, and you can STILL sign two max players out of a pool of Kevin Durant, Paul George, Rajon Rondo, Russell Westbrook, Kyrie Irving, Marc Gasol, Kevin Love, LaMarcus Aldridge, & John Wall. You're a title team by 2017-18 at the latest.
[ Edited by LA9erFan on May 27, 2013 at 5:35 PM ]
That doesn't sound like something the Los Angeles Lakers would do. But maybe that's just me.
That doesn't sound like something the Los Angeles Lakers would do. But maybe that's just me.

It definitely doesn't. And I think we're in deep s**t because of that. I'm extremely worried about us turning into the Knicks.

Again, the "Laker way" has always involved acquiring a superstar through the draft. Never won a title without one. Good luck doing that while trying to win with Kobe/Pau/Nash, winning 38 games and getting the 12th pick & having all of your assets come off the books.

It definitely doesn't. And I think we're in deep s**t because of that. I'm extremely worried about us turning into the Knicks.

Again, the "Laker way" has always involved acquiring a superstar through the draft. Never won a title without one. Good luck doing that while trying to win with Kobe/Pau/Nash, winning 38 games and getting the 12th pick & having all of your assets come off the books.

Since the Suns figure to be God awful for as long as Sarver owns the team, and as pathetic as it is, I'm looking forward to this.
Get the Latest News at Lakers365.com