LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 267 users in the forums

2012-13 Los Angeles Lakers Thread

Originally posted by 9erReign:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
But we acquired Kobe through trade.

Trade was agreed to prior to the draft and the Lakers told the Hornet who to draft. The Lakers drafted Kobe.

The facts are that the Charlotte Hornets drafted Kobe Bryant with the 13th pick in the 1996 draft.

Trade was agreed to prior to the draft and the Lakers told the Hornet who to draft. The Lakers drafted Kobe.

this thats like saying Eli Manning was a Charger...same s**t we all knew what was going to happen in the draft
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:

this thats like saying Eli Manning was a Charger...same s**t we all knew what was going to happen in the draft

You just agreed with reign. lol

It would be just as incorrect to say Eli was drafted by the giants.

Eli and Kobe are completely different.
I'm lost

Eli and Kobe are completely different.

What a lame post on your part. lol

They were both drafted by one team and traded to another before ever playing for their original team. Their situations are almost identical, as far as how they ended up on their teams. lol

They were both drafted by one team and traded to another before ever playing for their original team. Their situations are almost identical, as far as how they ended up on their teams. lol

There was no trade agreed to before picking Eli. No other team told the Chargers who to pick. Also the NBA requires draft day trades to not be official yet so the team that trades the pick is announced as drafting them, unlike the NFL.
"WE HAVE NEVER WON A TITLE WITHOUT A SUPERSTAR THAT WE ACQUIRED THROUGH THE DRAFT. NEVER EVER EVER."

Well no s**t thats because the Superstars that we acquired through the draft went on to become some of the best players in the history of the game. (Baylor, West Johnson, etc...) and even outside of those select few when this team had the picks during the 80s, 90s, and 2000s this team didn't acquire anybody from the draft worth a damn. (exception being Kobe) and you expect to hit on 2 out of 4 lottery picks to make this team a contender On top of that this team needs a new head coach to go along with your lottery picks. I agree that this team needs to rebuild but I think relying solely on the draft is going to be a huge mistake not to mention something that the FO won't even consider

We don't need 2 out of 4 lottery picks to become superstars. We just need them to become very good players BECAUSE WE STILL HAVE ROOM TO SIGN TWO SUPERSTAR FREE AGENTS AT THAT POINT. Expecting 2 out of 4 lottery picks to become very good players isn't unreasonable at all, especially when at least two of those picks would be in the Top 5. That's par for the course, and you have a decent chance that one of them becomes a superstar.

Now flip that around...you sign two max free agents first, and then how do you fill out the team? If Dwight leaves, who exactly are the stud muffins that you're gonna be signing to make this team a title contender sooner than my plan? Carmelo Anthony in '14 and Marc Gasol in '15? How about Dwyane Wade in '14 and LaMarcus Aldridge in '15? Then you have $20M left and 10 roster spaces to fill. Nowhere even close to a title. Meanwhile, you're picking 12th-15th in 2014 because you didn't tank, you lose your draft pick in '15, pick 18th-20th in '16, and lose your draft pick in '17.

So you end up with a squad built around something like Rajon Rondo, Kevin Love, & 2 picks in the teens over the next 4 years = CHAMPIONSHIP

I never said that we need to entirely rely on the draft...I'm saying that we can't completely ignore it. We just need a couple of top notch, young ball players on rookie contracts, and THEN we can go out and sign a couple of max free agent kind of guys. Otherwise we'd have to hit an enormous home run with a draft pick in the teens...a guy who's really good right away...which happens incredibly rarely.

Lastly, Kobe was acquired through the draft. C'mon now. And as it pertains to this discussion, we traded an existing asset (Vlade) in exchange for a very talented draft choice...which is exactly what I'm proposing we do now.
[ Edited by LA9erFan on May 29, 2013 at 10:13 PM ]

There was no trade agreed to before picking Eli. No other team told the Chargers who to pick. Also the NBA requires draft day trades to not be official yet so the team that trades the pick is announced as drafting them, unlike the NFL.

You're a fool if you think there was zero discussion between the chargers and the giants before the draft. And no matter what the hornets and the Lakers agreed upon predraft, the whole plan woulda been out the window if another team picked Kobe.

Either way, you're completely wrong here. So please, continue to sound like a know-it-all that's 100% wrong.

I know and then he completely s**ts on it
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
We don't need 2 out of 4 lottery picks to become superstars. We just need them to become very good players BECAUSE WE STILL HAVE ROOM TO SIGN TWO SUPERSTAR FREE AGENTS AT THAT POINT. Expecting 2 out of 4 lottery picks to become very good players isn't unreasonable at all, especially when at least two of those picks would be in the Top 5. That's par for the course, and you have a decent chance that one of them becomes a superstar.

Now flip that around...you sign two max free agents first, and then how do you fill out the team? If Dwight leaves, who exactly are the stud muffins that you're gonna be signing to make this team a title contender sooner than my plan? Carmelo Anthony in '14 and Marc Gasol in '15? How about Dwyane Wade in '14 and LaMarcus Aldridge in '15? Then you have $20M left and 10 roster spaces to fill. Nowhere even close to a title. Meanwhile, you're picking 12th-15th in 2014 because you didn't tank, you lose your draft pick in '15, pick 18th-20th in '16, and lose your draft pick in '17.

So you end up with a squad built around something like Rajon Rondo, Kevin Love, & 2 picks in the teens over the next 4 years = CHAMPIONSHIP

I never said that we need to entirely rely on the draft...I'm saying that we can't completely ignore it. We just need a couple of top notch, young ball players on rookie contracts, and THEN we can go out and sign a couple of max free agent kind of guys. Otherwise we'd have to hit an enormous home run with a draft pick in the teens...a guy who's really good right away...which happens incredibly rarely.

Lastly, Kobe was acquired through the draft. C'mon now. And as it pertains to this discussion, we traded an existing asset (Vlade) in exchange for a very talented draft choice...which is exactly what I'm proposing we do now.

I understand now I still love you

Now if you keep bringing up trading Kobe

You're a fool if you think there was zero discussion between the chargers and the giants before the draft. And no matter what the hornets and the Lakers agreed upon predraft, the whole plan woulda been out the window if another team picked Kobe.

Either way, you're completely wrong here. So please, continue to sound like a know-it-all that's 100% wrong.

There's a significant difference between "having discussion" on a trade and agreeing to a trade in principal and picking for another team. San Diego selected Eli Manning with the intention of him playing for the Chargers. Charlotte selected Kobe Bryant with the intention of him playing for the Lakers.

Not sure what the bolded has to do with anything. Couldn't you say that about any plan to acquire a particular player in a draft? If you're selecting #2 and you really like a guy, but #1 takes him, you gotta go in a different direction.

Saying that Kobe wasn't acquired through the draft is splitting hairs in this discussion. I'm advocating that the Lakers trade existing assets for a draft pick. That's what we did to get Kobe. Whether they do that before the draft or acquire a guy's draft rights 5 minutes after he's taken doesn't matter one bit.
[ Edited by LA9erFan on May 30, 2013 at 8:47 AM ]

There's a significant difference between "having discussion" on a trade and agreeing to a trade in principal and picking for another team. San Diego selected Eli Manning with the intention of him playing for the Chargers. Charlotte selected Kobe Bryant with the intention of him playing for the Lakers.

Not sure what the bolded has to do with anything. Couldn't you say that about any plan to acquire a particular player in a draft? If you're selecting #2 and you really like a guy, but #1 takes him, you gotta go in a different direction.

Saying that Kobe wasn't acquired through the draft is splitting hairs in this discussion. I'm advocating that the Lakers trade existing assets for a draft pick. That's what we did to get Kobe. Whether they do that before the draft or acquire a guy's draft rights 5 minutes after he's taken doesn't matter one bit.

hmm, i could be wrong, but from what i remember eli did not want to play for the chargers. didn't he say he wanted to play for the giants? the chargers just drafted him to they could trade him to the giants, no? idk, all i know for sure that it was a dick bag move from eli.

The fact remains that we did not draft Kobe. We traded for him. Twisting this fact to fit an opinion/train of thought is fine, but it doesn't make it true. Call it spitting hairs if you like, but its the truth.

I'm sorry if I make you feel like a liar by pointing this out. lol jk
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Question: If Lakers are able to trade Pau and amnesty MWP, can't they sign CP3 and then re-sign Dwight Howard?
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Question: If Lakers are able to trade Pau and amnesty MWP, can't they sign CP3 and then re-sign Dwight Howard?

My understanding is no. We have $84,224,930 on the books right now. If we trade Pau we'd have to take at least $14 million or so back in salary so we'd only shed $5 million dollars. That brings us to $79,224,930 roughly and then amnesty MWP ($7,727,280) and you're at $71,497,650. Last time I checked the salary cap was $70,307,000 for next season.

So we're still S.O.L. We could do a sign/trade for CP3 but LAWLZ at the idea of the Clips EVER allowing that to happen.
Share 49ersWebzone