LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 227 users in the forums

2012-13 Los Angeles Lakers Thread

• 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GameOver:
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Question: If Lakers are able to trade Pau and amnesty MWP, can't they sign CP3 and then re-sign Dwight Howard?

My understanding is no. We have $84,224,930 on the books right now. If we trade Pau we'd have to take at least $14 million or so back in salary so we'd only shed $5 million dollars. That brings us to $79,224,930 roughly and then amnesty MWP ($7,727,280) and you're at $71,497,650. Last time I checked the salary cap was $70,307,000 for next season.

So we're still S.O.L. We could do a sign/trade for CP3 but LAWLZ at the idea of the Clips EVER allowing that to happen.

But if you trade Gasol to a team like Sixers or Cleveland...who got the cap room, they you don't have to take anything back. You get trade exception too if I'm correct and that can be very helpful even if you don't sign CP3.
Question: If Lakers are able to trade Pau and amnesty MWP, can't they sign CP3 and then re-sign Dwight Howard?

nope Stern would veto that too
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:

nope Stern would veto that too

This

My understanding is no. We have $84,224,930 on the books right now. If we trade Pau we'd have to take at least $14 million or so back in salary so we'd only shed $5 million dollars. That brings us to $79,224,930 roughly and then amnesty MWP ($7,727,280) and you're at $71,497,650. Last time I checked the salary cap was $70,307,000 for next season.

So we're still S.O.L. We could do a sign/trade for CP3 but LAWLZ at the idea of the Clips EVER allowing that to happen.

But if you trade Gasol to a team like Sixers or Cleveland...who got the cap room, they you don't have to take anything back. You get trade exception too if I'm correct and that can be very helpful even if you don't sign CP3.

Do the Sixers or Cavs have an $18 million trade exception laying around?
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

Do the Sixers or Cavs have an $18 million trade exception laying around?

Nope...nor do they need to.

Let's take Cavs as an example. If I understand the rules correctly (and correct me if I'm wrong) Cavs can trade 19th overall pick for Gasol and that's it. They have the cap room to take his contract without going over the cap. In that scenario, Lakers don't have to take on $14-15M back in salary. That trade will essentially create a $18M trade exception for the Lakers and it can be used within a year even if they are well over the cap.

So, Lakers can resign Dwight and trade for Josh Smith or Paul Milsap (via sign n' trade) by offering the trade exception and you've a contender that can compete in the West.
Until Dwight Howard either signs somewhere or is renounced (meaning that the Lakers can't re-sign him), 150% of his previous salary counts against the cap. It's to avoid the exact loophole that you're talking about. Therefore, signing CP3 can't happen.

However, trading Gasol to a team with cap space would create the TPE that you're referring to.
I stand corrected then. Carry on, 4ML
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Until Dwight Howard either signs somewhere or is renounced (meaning that the Lakers can't re-sign him), 150% of his previous salary counts against the cap. It's to avoid the exact loophole that you're talking about. Therefore, signing CP3 can't happen.

However, trading Gasol to a team with cap space would create the TPE that you're referring to.

Gotcha. That makes sense.

That exception can be huge in trading for an all-star caliber player.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

NBA salary cap rules always confuse me. I just feel expiring contracts of Pau and Artest are assets that Lakers can use this summer to build a contender quickly. I still feel Dwight will sign with Lakers especially if they can get a player like Al Horford or Josh Smith from Hawks (trade Gasol to Cavs for exception and trade that exception to Hawks).

Unless Lakers feel they can bring Lebron in 2014 summer, I think this is a better route for them and continue to be contenders in 2013-2014 season.

NBA salary cap rules always confuse me. I just feel expiring contracts of Pau and Artest are assets that Lakers can use this summer to build a contender quickly. I still feel Dwight will sign with Lakers especially if they can get a player like Al Horford or Josh Smith from Hawks (trade Gasol to Cavs for exception and trade that exception to Hawks).

Unless Lakers feel they can bring Lebron in 2014 summer, I think this is a better route for them and continue to be contenders in 2013-2014 season.

Also looks like I was off with my numbers in my previous post.

The NBA is projecting a salary cap of $58.5 million for next season.

Cap number for next season is 58.5 million. So just by having Kobe and Dwight (presuming max deal) on the roster, we'd be right at the cap. Between TWO guys! But then taking that into account, who would want to have Pau Gasol take up almost a third of their salary cap? Even if it's just for one season. That team would have to have $18 million to spare under the cap and come to the conclusion that Pau would be worth it and then not be able to do anything else (via FA) but use the MLE, bi-annual exception, and veteran's minimums to fill up any other holes they may see in their roster.

I still think Gasol is a valuable asset and can be shipped. I just don't think we'll be able to get much out of it.

• 4ML
  • Veteran

Also looks like I was off with my numbers in my previous post.

The NBA is projecting a salary cap of $58.5 million for next season.

Cap number for next season is 58.5 million. So just by having Kobe and Dwight (presuming max deal) on the roster, we'd be right at the cap. Between TWO guys! But then taking that into account, who would want to have Pau Gasol take up almost a third of their salary cap? Even if it's just for one season. That team would have to have $18 million to spare under the cap and come to the conclusion that Pau would be worth it and then not be able to do anything else (via FA) but use the MLE, bi-annual exception, and veteran's minimums to fill up any other holes they may see in their roster.

I still think Gasol is a valuable asset and can be shipped. I just don't think we'll be able to get much out of it.

Cavs have the cap room, and so would the Hawks and Sixers. Just 1 year on the deal should interest some teams. There are teams who are a player away from making the playoffs such as Cavs and Sixers and may feel that they can use Pau to get in. They will then again be factor in 2014 FA.

Getting the exception can be the biggest asset for the Lakers, IMHO. You can sign Dwight and another big name player via trade.
Kobe's off crutches and walking.

Deer antler?
Dubai Kobe fan takes out full page ad in the LA Times giving a shout out to Kobe:

Hooray!
Share 49ersWebzone