There are 128 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2012-13 Los Angeles Lakers Thread

Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by HudsonValley:
Originally posted by dobophile:
Originally posted by valrod33:
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9285372/phil-jackson-compares-michael-jordan-kobe-bryant-book

This.

Jordan is better, and by a wide margin. The only ppl I've known that have a hard time accepting this are Laker fans. They come up with an array of justifications to excuse Jordan's superiority over Kobe. Wouldn't be surprised to see them discount Phil Jackson just to show some Kobe love.

I don't know any Laker fans personally that think Kobe is better than Jordan. I think he's easily the best player since Jordan. Maybe Lebron can take that title from him someday, but he's gotta long way to go before that happens.

Phil writes a book about something that everybody already knows just to make some $$$ and all of the sudden it's a hot topic again. I only have one response to Phil's book. "Yeah, no s**t. " lol

LOL, same here. My problem was always the considerably disparity that people put between them. Jordan's almost universally overrated and outside of LA Kobe is largely underrated by fans, but MJ was still the better player.

Kobe is the best player since MJ. McGrady, Carter, Iverson, Pierce, all these guys came into the league around the same time as Kobe, and these are arguably the best players (not counting the big men such as Garnet, Duncan, Shaq) of this era. West, Chamberlin, Russel, Kareem, Magic, MJ, Kobe...all these guys dominated their eras. This is now Lebron's era.

This is actually unfair for Kobe. He played in an era with 2 extremely great players. One could argue Tim Duncan or Shaq are the greatest player of Kobe's era. Jordan's era had some great players but no one was close to as great as Duncan and Shaq. Maybe Hakeem, but only because he was in a two year zone.

Personally, I think Kobe and Michael are closer than most think with Mike having a slight edge. Kobe is just unfortunate that guys like Duncan and Shaq played in the same era. Duncan and Shaq were far beyond any second fiddle in Jordan's era. Not only that, now old Kobe has to deal with Lebron conversations that diminish what Kobe has actually done.

Duncan and Shaq are arguably the greatest players at their position, but it's a position that is limited, and can't dominate 4 quarters of a game or take over any aspect of the game.

Big men, great or not, mostly just influence that paint and mid range area; their defense mostly shows up around the paint area; they only influence so much in a game. While a guard, or small forward, can technically take over any part of the game. Assists, 3 point shot, points in the paint, offensive rebounds, and on defense they also have the potential to do it all. That's why when it comes to the greatest players off all time, I tend to only put guards or small forwards in there. Magic, MJ, Kobe..these guys could do it all on the court, and unlike big men they could put up 50+ points at will almost.

I agree. Just saying that the 90's didn't really have players as dominant as Duncan or Shaq to take attention or titles away from Jordan. The Kobe/Shaq became a nonfactor once Kobe won it without Shaq. Also amazing how much influence Phil Jackson had in both Kobe's and Jordan's success.

Malone was a great big man, just not that good defensively from what little i recall. Barkley was also a great player, lacked an all around game, but is still considered one of the greats. But i see what i mean, since i wouldn't consider them as good as Shaq or Duncan, close though, maybe if they had some titles. However, then you can argue that the reason they don't have titles is because MJ was so great.
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by HudsonValley:
Originally posted by dobophile:
Originally posted by valrod33:
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9285372/phil-jackson-compares-michael-jordan-kobe-bryant-book

This.

Jordan is better, and by a wide margin. The only ppl I've known that have a hard time accepting this are Laker fans. They come up with an array of justifications to excuse Jordan's superiority over Kobe. Wouldn't be surprised to see them discount Phil Jackson just to show some Kobe love.

I don't know any Laker fans personally that think Kobe is better than Jordan. I think he's easily the best player since Jordan. Maybe Lebron can take that title from him someday, but he's gotta long way to go before that happens.

Phil writes a book about something that everybody already knows just to make some $$$ and all of the sudden it's a hot topic again. I only have one response to Phil's book. "Yeah, no s**t. " lol

LOL, same here. My problem was always the considerably disparity that people put between them. Jordan's almost universally overrated and outside of LA Kobe is largely underrated by fans, but MJ was still the better player.

Kobe is the best player since MJ. McGrady, Carter, Iverson, Pierce, all these guys came into the league around the same time as Kobe, and these are arguably the best players (not counting the big men such as Garnet, Duncan, Shaq) of this era. West, Chamberlin, Russel, Kareem, Magic, MJ, Kobe...all these guys dominated their eras. This is now Lebron's era.

This is actually unfair for Kobe. He played in an era with 2 extremely great players. One could argue Tim Duncan or Shaq are the greatest player of Kobe's era. Jordan's era had some great players but no one was close to as great as Duncan and Shaq. Maybe Hakeem, but only because he was in a two year zone.

Personally, I think Kobe and Michael are closer than most think with Mike having a slight edge. Kobe is just unfortunate that guys like Duncan and Shaq played in the same era. Duncan and Shaq were far beyond any second fiddle in Jordan's era. Not only that, now old Kobe has to deal with Lebron conversations that diminish what Kobe has actually done.

Duncan and Shaq are arguably the greatest players at their position, but it's a position that is limited, and can't dominate 4 quarters of a game or take over any aspect of the game.

Big men, great or not, mostly just influence that paint and mid range area; their defense mostly shows up around the paint area; they only influence so much in a game. While a guard, or small forward, can technically take over any part of the game. Assists, 3 point shot, points in the paint, offensive rebounds, and on defense they also have the potential to do it all. That's why when it comes to the greatest players off all time, I tend to only put guards or small forwards in there. Magic, MJ, Kobe..these guys could do it all on the court, and unlike big men they could put up 50+ points at will almost.

I agree. Just saying that the 90's didn't really have players as dominant as Duncan or Shaq to take attention or titles away from Jordan. The Kobe/Shaq became a nonfactor once Kobe won it without Shaq. Also amazing how much influence Phil Jackson had in both Kobe's and Jordan's success.

Malone was a great big man, just not that good defensively from what little i recall. Barkley was also a great player, lacked an all around game, but is still considered one of the greats. But i see what i mean, since i wouldn't consider them as good as Shaq or Duncan, close though, maybe if they had some titles. However, then you can argue that the reason they don't have titles is because MJ was so great.

Would be interesting to see Jordan/Pippen Bulls go against Kobe/Shaq Lakers. Personally, I think the Lakers would win. Jordan and Kobe could possibly lock each other down or Pippen on Kobe but NO ONE would be able to lock down Shaq.

Tim has 4 titles but I don't think Spurs beat the Bulls as Tim is the only great player on his team.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by HudsonValley:
Originally posted by dobophile:
Originally posted by valrod33:
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9285372/phil-jackson-compares-michael-jordan-kobe-bryant-book

This.

Jordan is better, and by a wide margin. The only ppl I've known that have a hard time accepting this are Laker fans. They come up with an array of justifications to excuse Jordan's superiority over Kobe. Wouldn't be surprised to see them discount Phil Jackson just to show some Kobe love.

I don't know any Laker fans personally that think Kobe is better than Jordan. I think he's easily the best player since Jordan. Maybe Lebron can take that title from him someday, but he's gotta long way to go before that happens.

Phil writes a book about something that everybody already knows just to make some $$$ and all of the sudden it's a hot topic again. I only have one response to Phil's book. "Yeah, no s**t. " lol

LOL, same here. My problem was always the considerably disparity that people put between them. Jordan's almost universally overrated and outside of LA Kobe is largely underrated by fans, but MJ was still the better player.

Kobe is the best player since MJ. McGrady, Carter, Iverson, Pierce, all these guys came into the league around the same time as Kobe, and these are arguably the best players (not counting the big men such as Garnet, Duncan, Shaq) of this era. West, Chamberlin, Russel, Kareem, Magic, MJ, Kobe...all these guys dominated their eras. This is now Lebron's era.

This is actually unfair for Kobe. He played in an era with 2 extremely great players. One could argue Tim Duncan or Shaq are the greatest player of Kobe's era. Jordan's era had some great players but no one was close to as great as Duncan and Shaq. Maybe Hakeem, but only because he was in a two year zone.

Personally, I think Kobe and Michael are closer than most think with Mike having a slight edge. Kobe is just unfortunate that guys like Duncan and Shaq played in the same era. Duncan and Shaq were far beyond any second fiddle in Jordan's era. Not only that, now old Kobe has to deal with Lebron conversations that diminish what Kobe has actually done.

Duncan and Shaq are arguably the greatest players at their position, but it's a position that is limited, and can't dominate 4 quarters of a game or take over any aspect of the game.

Big men, great or not, mostly just influence that paint and mid range area; their defense mostly shows up around the paint area; they only influence so much in a game. While a guard, or small forward, can technically take over any part of the game. Assists, 3 point shot, points in the paint, offensive rebounds, and on defense they also have the potential to do it all. That's why when it comes to the greatest players off all time, I tend to only put guards or small forwards in there. Magic, MJ, Kobe..these guys could do it all on the court, and unlike big men they could put up 50+ points at will almost.

I agree. Just saying that the 90's didn't really have players as dominant as Duncan or Shaq to take attention or titles away from Jordan. The Kobe/Shaq became a nonfactor once Kobe won it without Shaq. Also amazing how much influence Phil Jackson had in both Kobe's and Jordan's success.

Malone was a great big man, just not that good defensively from what little i recall. Barkley was also a great player, lacked an all around game, but is still considered one of the greats. But i see what i mean, since i wouldn't consider them as good as Shaq or Duncan, close though, maybe if they had some titles. However, then you can argue that the reason they don't have titles is because MJ was so great.

Would be interesting to see Jordan/Pippen Bulls go against Kobe/Shaq Lakers. Personally, I think the Lakers would win. Jordan and Kobe could possibly lock each other down or Pippen on Kobe but NO ONE would be able to lock down Shaq.

Tim has 4 titles but I don't think Spurs beat the Bulls as Tim is the only great player on his team.

if i had to choose, i'd take the team phil is coaching that game
Do you guys think Phil is an attention whore at all? Last time he had a hiatus from coaching, he wrote that book that had some juicy stuff about the Kobe/Shaq thing. Now, the Jordan/Kobe thing. And his media tour where he is giving all these details about the Laker's coaching situation last year.

I know he is trying to make money off his book, but does he really need it? Is this more so he can get his attention and stay relevant? I think he loves the attention... that is why his book contains those "controversial" things that get people talking.
Originally posted by sacniner:
Do you guys think Phil is an attention whore at all? Last time he had a hiatus from coaching, he wrote that book that had some juicy stuff about the Kobe/Shaq thing. Now, the Jordan/Kobe thing. And his media tour where he is giving all these details about the Laker's coaching situation last year.

I know he is trying to make money off his book, but does he really need it? Is this more so he can get his attention and stay relevant? I think he loves the attention... that is why his book contains those "controversial" things that get people talking.

LOL. Just a little. I've read 3 separate Phil Jackson headlines in the last 24 hours.
So it looks like I'll be hosting a podcast through LakersGround, with the backing/financial support of the site. It will likely be a roundtable type of thing, where me and a couple of other guys will talk Lakers. The target audience is going to be more hardcore fans than regular sports talk radio, with more in depth discussions on things like coaching strategies, scouting reports, front office moves, etc. It will incorporate things like trade rumors as well, just like normal talk radio, but will certainly have a geekier vibe to it, overall. We want it sound like a bunch of very informed dudes shooting the s**t about the Lakers. It's a few months away from hitting the air, but I'm excited for the opportunity.

To this end, there are some rumblings about a Phil return. Someone on LG posted that they had inside info about it being a done deal. Privately, someone with some Laker connections said that he's not totally off base, but it's nowhere near being done. Phil & Jeanie are trying and have recruited Dwight to the cause. (hence the stories that are coming out) Kobe has been recruited as well, but it's uncertain how far he'd go to push MDA out. If he gets on board, MDA is likely gone and Phil is likely in.

This is a rumor, and as such should be taken with a grain of salt. But that's the rumblings right now.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
So it looks like I'll be hosting a podcast through LakersGround, with the backing/financial support of the site. It will likely be a roundtable type of thing, where me and a couple of other guys will talk Lakers. The target audience is going to be more hardcore fans than regular sports talk radio, with more in depth discussions on things like coaching strategies, scouting reports, front office moves, etc. It will incorporate things like trade rumors as well, just like normal talk radio, but will certainly have a geekier vibe to it, overall. We want it sound like a bunch of very informed dudes shooting the s**t about the Lakers. It's a few months away from hitting the air, but I'm excited for the opportunity.

To this end, there are some rumblings about a Phil return. Someone on LG posted that they had inside info about it being a done deal. Privately, someone with some Laker connections said that he's not totally off base, but it's nowhere near being done. Phil & Jeanie are trying and have recruited Dwight to the cause. (hence the stories that are coming out) Kobe has been recruited as well, but it's uncertain how far he'd go to push MDA out. If he gets on board, MDA is likely gone and Phil is likely in.

This is a rumor, and as such should be taken with a grain of salt. But that's the rumblings right now.

That's awesome about the podcast. Will definitely check it out.


And I would be thrilled to have Phil back. I can't imagine anybody that would be against the idea, including Kobe.
I'm down for the idea of pushing MDA out and I will check out the podcast
you guys should bring back Brian Shaw
Kobe made First Team All-NBA for a record-tying 11th time.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
That's awesome about the podcast. Will definitely check it out.


And I would be thrilled to have Phil back. I can't imagine anybody that would be against the idea, including Kobe.

ALL OF THIS.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Kobe made First Team All-NBA for a record-tying 11th time.

You shoulda heard the warriors play by play guy Bob Fitzgerald on the radio. Saying how Curry got robbed and Kobe didn't deserve to be on the First team because the Lakers were so horrible this year. lol
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Kobe made First Team All-NBA for a record-tying 11th time.

You shoulda heard the warriors play by play guy Bob Fitzgerald on the radio. Saying how Curry got robbed and Kobe didn't deserve to be on the First team because the Lakers were so horrible this year. lol

Fitzgerald is an idiot and ever since the Warriors started becoming relevant he's become one of the biggest homers
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Fitzgerald is an idiot and ever since the Warriors started becoming relevant he's become one of the biggest homers

Unfortunately, i agree with this. The votes shouldn't matter about the team's performance; rather than the players'

And if the warriors were sooo horrible, didn't they only finish one game better than the lakers?!?!
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
you guys should trade for Mike Brown

fixed
Get the Latest News at Lakers365.com
...