There are 194 users in the forums

2012-13 Los Angeles Lakers Thread

Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Ariza, Okafor, & Pau are all expiring contracts. They don't get any cap relief. They can have faith in Wall/Beal and just add another cheap young player instead of dealing #3 in return for one year of Pau, who probably isn't even a better player than Ariza & Okafor are combined at this point.

Fair. Then why not Ariza, Nene/Blatche (whichever they find less valuable), and next years 1st rounder?

Pau to Toronto for Lowry, Landry Fields and next years 1st rounder?

Pau to Sacramento? All pending on new ownership and what their mentality is but if they wanted to clean shop we could take Marcus Thornton, Jason Thompson/Chuck Hayes (whichever they find less valuable).

Pau to Minnesota for Derrick Williams, cap fillers, and next years 1st rounder?

Pau to Milwaukee for Jennings (sign/trade since I think he's a RFA), Gooden and next years 1st rounder? Rumor is they don't even want to keep Jennings so they get something out of him, get rid of Gooden and give it a go with Sanders, Ersan, and Pau. To be honest, I DO NOT want Jennings but presuming he came in here and the change of scenery as well as our culture here got him to change his game and improve, it would be a nice change of pace from what we currently have at the PG position. I'd prefer a sign/trade with Reddick but for some reason I don't think that's as feasible as this idea.

Pau to ATL for Horford? Let's them rebuild from scratch after losing Josh Smith this offseason. Puts them in prime position to get #1 pick and Horford is a talented guy who I think can flourish at the 4 next to Dwight.

Pau to ORL for Harrington, Glen Davis, draft pick?

I'm also a becoming a big fan of letting Meeks go and throwing the mini mid-level at Dorrell Wright, former Warrior/Sixer. He can play the 3 spot once we amnesty MWP.

The overarching point of this post is...we have options, they are slim and none of them are ideal but they're options nonetheless. My preferred route, pending we can't get anyone who appears to be a bottom dweller to ship us their 1st rounder, is to ship Pau to Atlanta for Horford. I'm a fan of Horford and he'd be a great tandem with Dwight if we can get him to resign too.
You're overvaluing Pau way too much dude
Originally posted by marshniners24:

I might be...he's a MASSIVE expiring contract this year...and it's not like the guy can't play either or is a cancer in the locker room...why wouldn't a team like Milwaukee try it out for a year? Why wouldn't Altanta want to start from scratch, what do they have going for them right now?
Originally posted by GameOver:

I might be...he's a MASSIVE expiring contract this year...and it's not like the guy can't play either or is a cancer in the locker room...why wouldn't a team like Milwaukee try it out for a year? Why wouldn't Altanta want to start from scratch, what do they have going for them right now?

IMO the only one that is reasonable is the Marcus Thornton and Chuck Hayes one just because Hayes sucks and has a big contract. The fit wouldn't be very good with Pau/Cousins but it could work...

Although all the other ones are bad.

Horford is one of the best bigs in the game and is still young no way they do that straight up for Pau..

IMO the only one that is reasonable is the Marcus Thornton and Chuck Hayes one just because Hayes sucks and has a big contract. The fit wouldn't be very good with Pau/Cousins but it could work...

Although all the other ones are bad.

Horford is one of the best bigs in the game and is still young no way they do that straight up for Pau..

I'd imagine you guys would ship Cousins out too for #4 pick in Charlotte. Rebuild.

Horford, I mean...yes, he's talented and I can get them wanting to keep him but for what? They've got nothing over there and Horford and Louis Williams are the only contracts on the books beyond next year. If they lose Josh Smith this year, I don't even see them in the postseason...they could just get rid of him. Send out Pau with Jeff Teague, Louis Williams and a bunch of nobodies, get the #1 pick, grab Wiggins/Parker and rebuild. Plus, they'll have A LOT of cap space and if they manage it right, can be an attractive destination.

I'm tossing ideas out to see how their received for a reason, to judge my own level of sanity. So I appreciate the 2 cents marsh, but if this is the reality behind Pau then I almost want to say f**k it and just keep him. If we can't turn him into a draft pick or just one young talent, then it's pointless to deal him.
No I like the ideas it's fun to think about.

But lol at trading cousins. Especially for the #4 pick.

I think Pau for a first this year is probably the best you guys could get though. Next years draft is too good people will want to hang onto their picks IMO.

Also Pacersbros lets go
[ Edited by marshniners24 on May 29, 2013 at 11:27 AM ]
No I like the ideas it's fun to think about.

But lol at trading cousins. Especially for the #4 pick.

I think Pau for a first this year is probably the best you guys could get though. Next years draft is too good people will want to hang onto their picks IMO.

Also Pacersbros lets go

Not to thread jack but...

The Cleveland Cavaliers, Charlotte Bobcats and Dallas Mavericks are three teams that have interest in trading for DeMarcus Cousins if the new ownership of the Sacramento Kings decide to part ways with their most valued asset, according to sources.

The Bobcats are motivated to turnaround their long rebuilding situation and would surely be willing to build a package for Cousins around the No. 4 pick.

Cousins would be 'Plan C' for the Mavericks if they are unable to sign either Chris Paul or Dwight Howard.

Cousins is entering the final season of his contract before reaching restricted free agency.

If we could get Trey Burke plus some young guy for Pau, I'd do it. Otherwise, meh.

P.S. Paul George for President
[ Edited by GameOver on May 29, 2013 at 11:36 AM ]
Lol also "according to sources" the Kings were 100% the Seattle Supersonics

And of course those teams have intrest, doesn't mean the Kings do. Their new front office hasn't even moved in yet lulz

The only way I'm doing that deal is the #4 pick, their first next year, and MKG.
[ Edited by marshniners24 on May 29, 2013 at 11:45 AM ]
Lol also "according to sources" the Kings were 100% the Seattle Supersonics

And of course those teams have intrest, doesn't mean the Kings do. Their new front office hasn't even moved in yet lulz

The only way I'm doing that deal is the #4 pick, their first next year, and MKG.

Jesus...is this how you feel about the deals I bring up involving Pau? That's ridiculous marsh lol
Jesus...is this how you feel about the deals I bring up involving Pau? That's ridiculous marsh lol

I was being a liiiitle crazy there but yea for the most part lulz

Fair. Then why not Ariza, Nene/Blatche (whichever they find less valuable), and next years 1st rounder?

Pau to Toronto for Lowry, Landry Fields and next years 1st rounder?

Pau to Sacramento? All pending on new ownership and what their mentality is but if they wanted to clean shop we could take Marcus Thornton, Jason Thompson/Chuck Hayes (whichever they find less valuable).

Pau to Minnesota for Derrick Williams, cap fillers, and next years 1st rounder?

Pau to Milwaukee for Jennings (sign/trade since I think he's a RFA), Gooden and next years 1st rounder? Rumor is they don't even want to keep Jennings so they get something out of him, get rid of Gooden and give it a go with Sanders, Ersan, and Pau. To be honest, I DO NOT want Jennings but presuming he came in here and the change of scenery as well as our culture here got him to change his game and improve, it would be a nice change of pace from what we currently have at the PG position. I'd prefer a sign/trade with Reddick but for some reason I don't think that's as feasible as this idea.

Pau to ATL for Horford? Let's them rebuild from scratch after losing Josh Smith this offseason. Puts them in prime position to get #1 pick and Horford is a talented guy who I think can flourish at the 4 next to Dwight.

Pau to ORL for Harrington, Glen Davis, draft pick?

I'm also a becoming a big fan of letting Meeks go and throwing the mini mid-level at Dorrell Wright, former Warrior/Sixer. He can play the 3 spot once we amnesty MWP.

The overarching point of this post is...we have options, they are slim and none of them are ideal but they're options nonetheless. My preferred route, pending we can't get anyone who appears to be a bottom dweller to ship us their 1st rounder, is to ship Pau to Atlanta for Horford. I'm a fan of Horford and he'd be a great tandem with Dwight if we can get him to resign too.

I agree that we have options with Pau. However, I don't want to take big salary back (a guy like Nene, for example), because that interferes with our ability to sign legit max contract guys. I also don't want us investing in the wrong player. (someone like Jennings, for example) I want young assets that can actually help us contend for a title.

If a guy's a good player on his rookie contract and he fits that description, Pau's not good enough to get him. That's why I want a draft pick in exchange for him.
I agree that we have options with Pau. However, I don't want to take big salary back (a guy like Nene, for example), because that interferes with our ability to sign legit max contract guys. I also don't want us investing in the wrong player. (someone like Jennings, for example) I want young assets that can actually help us contend for a title.

If a guy's a good player on his rookie contract and he fits that description, Pau's not good enough to get him. That's why I want a draft pick in exchange for him.

Fair but I can't name too many teams that'd be interested in Pau that would potentially have a top 10, let alone top 5, draft pick.

I really think we should pursue the Horford deal...I don't know what's going on in ATLs head but I'm going to start scouring their forums to see what the consensus is there. They have to be thinking start from scratch.
We trade away and sell all of our picks! We haven't drafted anyone worth a damn (other than Marc Gasol in the 2nd Round) because we never even have picks. A bunch of good luck in the draft? We can conceivably have up to 4 lottery picks between now and 2016 if we liquidate our assets now. We'd only need two of those guys to be good players. Other than Miami, who had an inimitable free agent union in '10, every good team in the league built the bulk of their team through the draft, and used FA to supplement that.

And so what about the TWC deal? That means we could re-sign guys and go well into Luxury Tax territory, but if all we're doing is signing free agents from elsewhere, we can only "make it rain" up to the salary cap threshold. What...you think Rajon Rondo, LaMarcus Aldridge, a 37 year old Kobe Bryant, & a bunch of vet minimum dudes make us title contenders in '15-16?

THE MATH DOES NOT WORK IF ALL WE'RE DOING IS SIGNING FA'S. THERE'S NOT ENOUGH MONEY TO GO AROUND. WE HAVE NEVER WON A TITLE WITHOUT A SUPERSTAR THAT WE ACQUIRED THROUGH THE DRAFT. NEVER EVER EVER.

"WE HAVE NEVER WON A TITLE WITHOUT A SUPERSTAR THAT WE ACQUIRED THROUGH THE DRAFT. NEVER EVER EVER."

Well no s**t thats because the Superstars that we acquired through the draft went on to become some of the best players in the history of the game. (Baylor, West Johnson, etc...) and even outside of those select few when this team had the picks during the 80s, 90s, and 2000s this team didn't acquire anybody from the draft worth a damn. (exception being Kobe) and you expect to hit on 2 out of 4 lottery picks to make this team a contender On top of that this team needs a new head coach to go along with your lottery picks. I agree that this team needs to rebuild but I think relying solely on the draft is going to be a huge mistake not to mention something that the FO won't even consider
But we acquired Kobe through trade.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
But we acquired Kobe through trade.

Trade was agreed to prior to the draft and the Lakers told the Hornet who to draft. The Lakers drafted Kobe.
Share 49ersWebzone