There are 129 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

London 2012 Olympics Thread

Pretty good opening ceremony.

It's basically impossible to outdo the overwhelming numbers and discipline of Beijing's opening, but this had a good story and good growth through the program with a few welcome moments of levity that opening ceremonies don't typically include. The start was a little weak in my opinion, but there were solid segments and it grew stronger and stronger with some nice moments here and there that crescendo'd into a very nice finish.
[ Edited by mug0mug on Jul 28, 2012 at 12:18 AM ]
The opening was cool. Paul should have done at least 3 songs.
I really liked the symbolism behind the Olympic flames. From what the torch was composed of (204 copper-leaves, each symbolizing the countries that were at the games) and then it coming together to signify the union of 204 countries for the Olympics.
[ Edited by 49ersRednGold on Jul 28, 2012 at 1:05 AM ]
Thought it was excellent, lots of heritage (industrial revolution, WW1, Kenneth Brannagh as Brunel), little bit of politics (nurses), the Queen, bit of comedy, great section on British music, nice touch with the flame. Now for Cavendish to get the ball rolling in the Road Race.
Originally posted by redrose49er:
Thought it was excellent, lots of heritage (industrial revolution, WW1, Kenneth Brannagh as Brunel), little bit of politics (nurses), the Queen, bit of comedy, great section on British music, nice touch with the flame. Now for Cavendish to get the ball rolling in the Road Race.

Are you going to any of the events? Are you close to London?
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Watching women beach volleyball...Russia is kicking China's highly rated team's assss!

Russian women
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Nope not going, tickets were a nightmare and I live too far away (on the Isle of Man!). I'll be watching on TV, especially the Road Race today

RIP Olympics & England

Nope not going, tickets were a nightmare and I live too far away (on the Isle of Man!). I'll be watching on TV, especially the Road Race today

My daughter is at the road race. Well, part if it anyway!!
Originally posted by English:

Are you going to any of it? You are close to London right?
Originally posted by English:

Are you going to any of it? You are close to London right?

Yes, but I am not too bothered about it. No plans to attend
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
I hope I can catch some canoeing, handball, ping pong, and trampline.

I get tired of watching gymnastics and swimming and track (racing most of the time only). Although I do enjoy a good race in the pool or on the track, the prime time coverage has no variety.

It's fun to watch other strange olympics sports.

I never get tired of watching women's gymnastics.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
I hope I can catch some canoeing, handball, ping pong, and trampline.

I get tired of watching gymnastics and swimming and track (racing most of the time only). Although I do enjoy a good race in the pool or on the track, the prime time coverage has no variety.

It's fun to watch other strange olympics sports.

I never get tired of watching women's gymnastics.

12 year old Chinese girls?
Opening ceremonies = The world's worst halftime show
Originally posted by okdkid:
Opening ceremonies = The world's worst halftime show

Would have been ok if it were the length of a halftime show.