Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

NCAA source: "Unprecedented" penalties against Penn State

• SoCold
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Originally posted by spizzy:
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
What you are failing to understand/acknowledge, is that this scandal was an INSTITUTION-WIDE coverup. If you think it was JUST Paterno and Sandusky, you are sorely mistaken. The Athletic Department, the school's administration as well as the football program itself put the good and success of the football program over protecting innocent children who were molested on their own school grounds. While the current players did nothing wrong, the football program and school definitely deserves the punishment it is receiving.

Institution wide coverup. Lulz. Oh yeah you are right my biochem professor, Dr. Hankey knew what was going on and had to cover it up

This thing is too close to the heart for you. Don't get caught up on that generalization. The people who represented the institution MOST publicly - the administration - were the people that covered it up.

Maybe not institutional-wide, but sure as hell a LARGE, unexplicable cover-up - by the most important people to Penn State's image.

this

dude should have been canned many years ago
instead he continued to coach/rape for many years
If thats the best you can come up with, I am going to leave it alone. But I recommend you read up and do some research. If you think it was just Sandusky and Paterno that had their hands in this scandal, you are simply misinformed.

When did I say that? Obviously you haven't been frequent in these threads lately.
Penn State and the NCAA are just trying to save face, so if they feel that these sanctions make amends for it then that's great. I'm sure the victims feel like justice has been served now that those wins are vacated.....
Originally posted by English:
A sensible post? No way

It's a post that you agree with, to a great extent. That doesn't make it sensible or otherwise.

Of course its sensible.
Originally posted by toeshawn:
The derp penalty

lolz
I still think the vacating the wins penalty that the NCAA hands out is the stupidest penalty. So now players who lost those games will say hey we won and feel the joy of victory or will the teams that finished second to Penn State in the big 12 start to make championship rings.
If thats the best you can come up with, I am going to leave it alone. But I recommend you read up and do some research. If you think it was just Sandusky and Paterno that had their hands in this scandal, you are simply misinformed.

When did I say that? Obviously you haven't been frequent in these threads lately.

1) You are right, I dont frequent these threads.

2) Some dude posted that TWO people were responsible for this scandal...I responded that it was an institutional coverup, not just two people...and YOU were the one who responded with that smart ass comment about your biology teacher.

What was I supposed to think after you did that?
Originally posted by Dino:
Penn State and the NCAA are just trying to save face, so if they feel that these sanctions make amends for it then that's great. I'm sure the victims feel like justice has been served now that those wins are vacated.....

You don't really understand a legal system, do you? It isn't about revenge and it can't be about righting wrongs. That is for fantasy and Robin Hood.
joe paterno would be on his way to prison if he was still alive along with spanier and everyone else involved. vacating the wins seems like a huge issue for the ncaa because they wouldnt want joe paterno to be on top of the list of all-time wins. well, at least that's what i think.
Originally posted by schmons:
joe paterno would be on his way to prison if he was still alive along with spanier and everyone else involved. vacating the wins seems like a huge issue for the ncaa because they wouldnt want joe paterno to be on top of the list of all-time wins. well, at least that's what i think.

Ah..no he wouldn't. The Freeh report would hold no grounds in a criminal proceedings. Doesn't mean a criminal investigation wouldn't be launch and come to the same conclusions but you can't just assume that.
It's kind of hard to fathom Penn St sucking.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
A sensible post? No way

It's a post that you agree with, to a great extent. That doesn't make it sensible or otherwise.

Of course its sensible.

No, it isn't. It is neither sensible nor not sensible. These are judgements that simply indicate your mental pre-sets on this issue.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
A sensible post? No way

Of course its sensible.

No, it isn't. It is neither sensible nor not sensible. These are judgements that simply indicate your mental pre-sets on this issue.

In my opinion my post was quite sensible. I think the NCAA went overboard with their punishment and it hurts so many people that had nothing to do with this scandal. AN immense fine, some smaller sanctions, putting people in jail, and having them make LARGE donations to Child Abuse Charities would have been enough. I could care less about Joe Paterno's legacy so taking the wins away is meaningless. It doesnt hurt anyone.

Now, what ISNT sensible are posts that want to burn the school down or close the University.

You certainly can disagree although. Doesnt matter to me.
Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility
I don't think the NCAA went overboard. Burning the Uni down was an overreaction. This penalty is not, in my view, unreasonable taking all things into account.

It sends the right message.