LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 305 users in the forums

NCAA source: "Unprecedented" penalties against Penn State

I actually feel bad for Bill O'Brien. Dude gets one of the premier college coaching jobs and now this. I wonder if he will stay with the team or leave. The football program is going to take a major step back and even the best coach in the world will not be able to stop it. With a payoff to playing hard and well all season gone for four years I can't see too many players wanting to go the school or even many of the ones already there wanting to stay. You have to wonder if Bill O'Brien will want to ride this thing out or step back until he can get a much better opportunity somewhere else.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
I don't understand vacating 14 years of wins. Sandusky was not on the football staff after the allegations surfaced, and nothing to do with this scandal involved any cheating that would help Penn State win games. That part of the penalty doesn't make sense. Maybe Bobby Bowden lobbied for that one. I understand the other penalties the university needs to be punished.
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
I actually feel bad for Bill O'Brien. Dude gets one of the premier college coaching jobs and now this. I wonder if he will stay with the team or leave. The football program is going to take a major step back and even the best coach in the world will not be able to stop it. With a payoff to playing hard and well all season gone for four years I can't see too many players wanting to go the school or even many of the ones already there wanting to stay. You have to wonder if Bill O'Brien will want to ride this thing out or step back until he can get a much better opportunity somewhere else.

he knew what he was getting into

any coach taking that job expecting the NCAA not to do anything isnt bright
Originally posted by BobS:
I don't understand vacating 14 years of wins. Sandusky was not on the football staff after the allegations surfaced, and nothing to do with this scandal involved any cheating that would help Penn State win games. That part of the penalty doesn't make sense. Maybe Bobby Bowden lobbied for that one. I understand the other penalties the university needs to be punished.

it is the NCAA trying to let schools know you cannot place the football program and a coach above a school. They let the reputation of the school and program get in the way of doing the right thing. Thats my reading of it anyways.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
it is the NCAA trying to let schools know you cannot place the football program and a coach above a school. They let the reputation of the school and program get in the way of doing the right thing. Thats my reading of it anyways.

Somehow I think they may have got people's attention! I am glad they didn't woos out, but this punishment seems quite fair to current players.

Exactly.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
I still don't agree with vacating the wins. No bowl games for 4 years and $60 mil fine are a pretty big punishment. Vacating the wins alters history, baseball didn't take away any of Pete Rose's 4,000+ hits, or take yards away from O.J.'s 2,000+ in a 14 game season. Like I said Sandusky had nothing to do with the wins they took away.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:

he knew what he was getting into

any coach taking that job expecting the NCAA not to do anything isnt bright
Also a Bill O'Brien probably doesn't get the job if a cloud wasn't hanging over it. I am sure there were candidates with more impressive resume's who weren't interested.
These sanctions will cripple the Penn State football program for years.

$60 Million fine: The NCAA President said that amount equals one year of revenue from the Penn State football team.

They vacated 112 wins from 1998-2011

All of the players can transfer to new schools and play immediately.

No Bowl games for four years

Scholarships reduced to only 15 per year for the next four years-

The NCAA reserves the right to initiate a formal investigation and to impose sanctions against individuals involved in this case after the conclusion of any criminal proceedings.

The University must implement the reforms listed in the Freeh Report

The Penn State Athletic program is on probation for five years. During that time they must work with an "Academic integrity Monitor" that the NCAA will select.

The Academic Integrity Monitor will report Quarterly on the progress Penn State is making on implementing the required reforms.
I still don't agree with vacating the wins. No bowl games for 4 years and $60 mil fine are a pretty big punishment. Vacating the wins alters history, baseball didn't take away any of Pete Rose's 4,000+ hits, or take yards away from O.J.'s 2,000+ in a 14 game season. Like I said Sandusky had nothing to do with the wins they took away.

Not going to argue it. You can make a case for doing it and you can make a case for not doing it. Bottom line is they did it. The 60 million represents the money they made off a football team which was placed above the school, stripping the wins goes in line with stripping the revenue. Again, thats my read. I personally don't give a s**t. PSU jacked this up, whatever happens to it now happens. The only thing I cared about is the students being allowed to transfer because it wasnt their fault. Looks like they will be allowed to. The 60 million is the best part. Bottom line is nothing the NCAA or the criminal system can do will make it ok for the victims. So now its just about delivering the message and prosecuting the wrong.

• Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Not going to argue it. You can make a case for doing it and you can make a case for not doing it. Bottom line is they did it. The 60 million represents the money they made off a football team which was placed above the school, stripping the wins goes in line with stripping the revenue. Again, thats my read. I personally don't give a s**t. PSU jacked this up, whatever happens to it now happens. The only thing I cared about is the students being allowed to transfer because it wasnt their fault. Looks like they will be allowed to. The 60 million is the best part. Bottom line is nothing the NCAA or the criminal system can do will make it ok for the victims. So now its just about delivering the message and prosecuting the wrong.

agree with rubberdick
special scholarship exemptions will also be made also for players that decide to transfer so it doesn't affect the school they are transferring to (ie no one is losing a scholarship at the other school)
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Don't know all the sick details but I know he was charged with touching boys for 15 years!
Maybe if Joe came forward 14 of those years don't happen!?!

14 years of the program erased GOOD!
Originally posted by schmons:
special scholarship exemptions will also be made also for players that decide to transfer so it doesn't affect the school they are transferring to (ie no one is losing a scholarship at the other school)

thats really good. Its one thing to allow transfer, but all the scholarships being gone is another. Thanks
of course you vacate the wins, Paterno's wins record was practicably unbreakable, there's no way he should had stayed up on top as the standard for coaching excellence in college football, and man does it still hurt to type that because I almost like a PSU-alumni refused to believe JoePa was so negligent throughout this ... massacre ... I agree with the punishment, all of it, nothing can be harsh enough because the damage to those people affected by PSU's actions, or lack thereof, will be permanent.

Like Rubber, I'm just glad the current players won't be obligated to pay the price for someone else's sins
Share 49ersWebzone