hmmm....So any Penn State players want to come out and play in Tempe
Suckas!!!!!
also, someone check in with spizzy to make sure he is okay
Penn State wont be relevant for another 20 years

BOOK IT
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BobS:
I still don't agree with vacating the wins. No bowl games for 4 years and $60 mil fine are a pretty big punishment. Vacating the wins alters history, baseball didn't take away any of Pete Rose's 4,000+ hits, or take yards away from O.J.'s 2,000+ in a 14 game season. Like I said Sandusky had nothing to do with the wins they took away.

This x 1 million
The victims families have been served TRUE JUSTICE....they can finally move past this ordeal

The fine is the only punishment that makes sense. The rest of the punishments only attack people that had nothing to do with scandal. Taking away scholarships and bowl eligibility does not bring justice to an already convicted felon, a dead man, and disposed administrators awaiting their own trials. These other penalties only hurt the new coaching staff, the fans, and worst of all, the players.

I think the harshest penalty has been finding out that myself, my friends, my family, the current football team, and everyone who has ever lived in State College are pedophiles and felons
Originally posted by spizzy:
The victims families have been served TRUE JUSTICE....they can finally move past this ordeal

The fine is the only punishment that makes sense. The rest of the punishments only attack people that had nothing to do with scandal. Taking away scholarships and bowl eligibility does not bring justice to an already convicted felon, a dead man, and disposed administrators awaiting their own trials. These other penalties only hurt the new coaching staff, the fans, and worst of all, the players.

I think the harshest penalty has been finding out that myself, my friends, my family, the current football team, and everyone who has ever lived in State College are pedophiles and felons

I don't think the fine by itself means anything. Surely most US universities have loads of rich supporters who would get together to cover a chunk of this, if it meant make or break for the programme?
I think the punishment is extreme. While it isnt the death penalty and football will thankfully continue, this will crush the program and the community.

In my opinion the penalty should have been more like:
1) Huge fine ( I said earlier 50 Million but 60 million is fair)
2) Proceeds from football ticket sales ( say $2 from every ticket sold) to go to Child Abuse Charity
3) Punishment to the fullest extent of the law to anyone who covered up the scandal
4) Smaller sanctions on the program ( at most to equal USC's 3 year/ 10 scholarship reduction)
5) 1 year bowl ban

I think this would have sent a severe message, really hurt the University in the pocketbook, and punished the people who REALLY deserved to be punished. It would have allowed the football program which is so important to that community to recover in a couple of years rather than the decade which it will probably take.

This does not mean I dont have the greatest empathy for the victims of this crime. I most certainly do. I just think this sanctions are too extreme and hurt way too many people that had nothing to do with it.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I think the punishment is extreme. While it isnt the death penalty and football will thankfully continue, this will crush the program and the community.

In my opinion the penalty should have been more like:
1) Huge fine ( I said earlier 50 Million but 60 million is fair)
2) Proceeds from football ticket sales ( say $2 from every ticket sold) to go to Child Abuse Charity
3) Punishment to the fullest extent of the law to anyone who covered up the scandal
4) Smaller sanctions on the program ( at most to equal USC's 3 year/ 10 scholarship reduction)
5) 1 year bowl ban

I think this would have sent a severe message, really hurt the University in the pocketbook, and punished the people who REALLY deserved to be punished. It would have allowed the football program which is so important to that community to recover in a couple of years rather than the decade which it will probably take.

This does not mean I dont have the greatest empathy for the victims of this crime. I most certainly do. I just think this sanctions are too extreme and hurt way too many people that had nothing to do with it.

A sensible post? No way

A sensible post? No way

It's a post that you agree with, to a great extent. That doesn't make it sensible or otherwise.
Originally posted by ImaMod:
One sicko shouldn't ruin it for a whole football program. The players didnt do anything. Sandusky will be in jail for the rest of his life and Joe Paterno is dead. The 2 guys that should be punished are gone, I dont get what good this is going to do. Its not going to do anything or punish whoever was involved in this, all those guys are gone. Punishing the school isn't going to make sure a sicko doesn't rape kids again, like I said, the people that should've been punished are gone. Anyone who was responsible for what happened is gone
Right now they're just going to punish people that weren't responsible for what happened.. I dont think its logical

What you are failing to understand/acknowledge, is that this scandal was an INSTITUTION-WIDE coverup. If you think it was JUST Paterno and Sandusky, you are sorely mistaken. The Athletic Department, the school's administration as well as the football program itself put the good and success of the football program over protecting innocent children who were molested on their own school grounds. While the current players did nothing wrong, the football program and school definitely deserves the punishment it is receiving.
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
What you are failing to understand/acknowledge, is that this scandal was an INSTITUTION-WIDE coverup. If you think it was JUST Paterno and Sandusky, you are sorely mistaken. The Athletic Department, the school's administration as well as the football program itself put the good and success of the football program over protecting innocent children who were molested on their own school grounds. While the current players did nothing wrong, the football program and school definitely deserves the punishment it is receiving.

Institution wide coverup. Lulz. Oh yeah you are right my biochem professor, Dr. Hankey knew what was going on and had to cover it up

Institution wide coverup. Lulz. Oh yeah you are right my biochem professor, Dr. Hankey knew what was going on and had to cover it up

If thats the best you can come up with, I am going to leave it alone. But I recommend you read up and do some research. If you think it was just Sandusky and Paterno that had their hands in this scandal, you are simply misinformed.

This thing is too close to the heart for you. Don't get caught up on that generalization. The people who represented the institution MOST publicly - the administration - were the people that covered it up.

Maybe not institutional-wide, but sure as hell a LARGE, unexplicable cover-up - by the most important people to Penn State's image.
Share 49ersWebzone