There are 129 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Official 2012 MLB Draft Thread

Here is what Keith Law had to say about Agosta (RHP from St. Mary's that he had ranked #54 and we drafted at #84):


"Agosta doesn't have size but he does have three pitches to profile as a potential starter, with significant promise if he has to move to the pen because of his stature. Agosta will sit 89-93, showing a little better than that but not sitting there, with a hard slurvy breaking ball at 79-81 that he can move around the zone and an above-average changeup that he doesn't use often enough.

The fastball has some late tailing life but not enough sink, and his stature means he can't naturally get downhill plane on the pitch. Agosta cuts himself off slightly and comes a little bit across his body as a result, but he takes a long stride with good extension out front to partially alleviate the drawbacks of his height. The three pitches give him a mid-rotation starter ceiling, while he could be a top-tier reliever if the lack of fastball plane means he can't start."
Originally posted by IdentityCrisis:
Here is what Keith Law had to say about Agosta (RHP from St. Mary's that he had ranked #54 and we drafted at #84):


"Agosta doesn't have size but he does have three pitches to profile as a potential starter, with significant promise if he has to move to the pen because of his stature. Agosta will sit 89-93, showing a little better than that but not sitting there, with a hard slurvy breaking ball at 79-81 that he can move around the zone and an above-average changeup that he doesn't use often enough.

The fastball has some late tailing life but not enough sink, and his stature means he can't naturally get downhill plane on the pitch. Agosta cuts himself off slightly and comes a little bit across his body as a result, but he takes a long stride with good extension out front to partially alleviate the drawbacks of his height. The three pitches give him a mid-rotation starter ceiling, while he could be a top-tier reliever if the lack of fastball plane means he can't start."

Too much emphases on his size.

I think ultimately, he will be a reliever....which isn't a bad thing.
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:
Too much emphases on his size.

I think ultimately, he will be a reliever....which isn't a bad thing.

thats why I felt we should have taken Marcus Stroman at #20. His ONLY knock is his size. Other than that, many say he has the best stuff in the entire draft and could be pitching THIS YEAR in someone's bullpen and a future front of the rotation guy if a team will start him.

i feel like you should aim for high upside talent guys that drop for erroneous reasons.
  • Garcia
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 29,677
Giants got 3 pitchers?
Originally posted by Garcia:
Giants got 3 pitchers?

lol, Giants drafted 7 pitchers out of their first 8 picks.
  • Garcia
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 29,677
Originally posted by IdentityCrisis:
lol, Giants drafted 7 pitchers out of their first 8 picks.

Wow. Stocking up.
Congrats to Bennett Klimesh for getting drafted by the Reds in the 15th round. From my college.
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Congrats to Bennett Klimesh for getting drafted by the Reds in the 15th round. From my college.

From San Antonio? Can I haz an autograph?
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Congrats to Bennett Klimesh for getting drafted by the Reds in the 15th round. From my college.

From San Antonio? Can I haz an autograph?
Haha sorry man. I'm not friends with the dude and he's probably already graduated anyways. And even so, an autograph from a 15th round pick aint all that.
[ Edited by AllTimeGreat on Jun 5, 2012 at 5:20 PM ]
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 10,482
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Congrats to Bennett Klimesh for getting drafted by the Reds in the 15th round. From my college.

From San Antonio? Can I haz an autograph?
Haha sorry man. I'm not friends with the dude and he's probably already graduated anyways. And even so, an autograph from a 15th round pick aint all that.

Albert Pujols was a 13th round pick
My homie TJ Warren got drafted in the 8th round by the Phillies back in 06 lol
  • Amir
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 25,858
My boy Tim Lincecum got drafted by some team. He didn't do too well tho in the majors.
It's kind of cool though because we're only DIII and don't offer scholarships for athletics so it's not like this happens all the time. I'm curious how many times a baseball player from my school has ever gotten picked.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
The suckiest draft amongst the 3 major sports, this is the one draft where it doesnt really matter who goes where cuz you have years to develop them not much pressure right off the bat

well I have four friends who should get drafted this year so I am hoping the best. (one of them was drafted last year but stayed in school)

Jake Stewart Stanford
Mike Tauchman Bradley
Derrick Chung Sac State
DJ Crumlich UC Irvine

UPDATE.

So Stewart went in the 9th to the Tigers. Crumlich went in the 9th to the Pirates. And Chung was posted on FB he was selected by the Blue Jays. Very cool!
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
The suckiest draft amongst the 3 major sports, this is the one draft where it doesnt really matter who goes where cuz you have years to develop them not much pressure right off the bat

well I have four friends who should get drafted this year so I am hoping the best. (one of them was drafted last year but stayed in school)

Jake Stewart Stanford
Mike Tauchman Bradley
Derrick Chung Sac State
DJ Crumlich UC Irvine

UPDATE.

So Stewart went in the 9th to the Tigers. Crumlich went in the 9th to the Pirates. And Chung was posted on FB he was selected by the Blue Jays. Very cool!

Nice, very cool to see friends get their dreams started officially.