There are 146 users in the forums

The Official 2012 MLB Draft Thread

Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
Cant post insider articles, you should know this as a mod

I dont want the article, I want a damn summary. Does everything need to be spelled out to you? No wonder you work the phones.

Your words not mine.
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
someone who has ESPN insider access go look at the winners and losers of the draft and report back.

They have winners and losers after one round? This is ridiculous. You know how it supposedly takes 3 years to grade a draft in the NFL, well it takes like 5 years to grade an MLB draft and this one has barely started. I guess they're just trying really hard to build up hype....

Exactly, doesnt mean I dont want to read it.

Now someone go post it.
[ Edited by WookieOftheYear on Jun 5, 2012 at 7:43 AM ]

I dont want the article, I want a damn summary. Does everything need to be spelled out to you? No wonder you work the phones.

Your words not mine.
someone who has ESPN insider access go look at the winners and losers of the draft and report back.

They have winners and losers after one round? This is ridiculous. You know how it supposedly takes 3 years to grade a draft in the NFL, well it takes like 5 years to grade an MLB draft and this one has barely started. I guess they're just trying really hard to build up hype....

Now someone go post it.

lol, just as I suggested. Go look at my original bolded request. Someone go look and report back. damn pueblo school system failed us.

Your words not mine.

Now someone go post it.

lol, just as I suggested. Go look at my original bolded request. Someone go look and report back. damn pueblo school system failed us.
You are being reported for soliciting other zoners to illegally post insider articles, good day sir
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ImaMod:
Wow was not expecting the A's to go all high school bats with all 3 of their first rounders. The last time the A's drafted even 1 high schooler in the 1st round was 2001 (Jeremy Bonerman) and the last high school position player they drafted in the 1st was Eric Chavez (10th pick in 1996). To have not one but 3 first round prep position players is completely unprecedented.

Ya totally unexpected
I kinda like it though lol

Me too and I hope we keep it up. I've always preferred high schoolers over college guys. It seems like most of the superstars in MLB were drafted out of high school.

I agree, high schoolers have a much higher ceiling than college players most of the time.
I really like Addison Russell, our no. 11 pick. I've been reading he's good defensively, has quick hands and feet, explosive hips, has very good power, fast bat speed. The only kinda bad thing I've noticed is that he's going to have to prove that he can play SS in the big leagues, which the A's are hoping for.

Joe Stiglich ‏@joestiglich
#Athletics scouting director Eric Kubota said he sees top pick Russell staying at SS.

I also like that we took 3 infielders with our first 3 picks
I've noticed since the off season that the A's (Beane) are huge on bat speed. They're as big on that as they are on patience at the plate
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran

Picks he really liked were Astros 1st pick of Carlos Correa, Pirates pick of Appel at 8, Nats Luc Golito at 16, Red Sox Deven Marrero at 24, Rays Richie Shaffer at 25
Others he liked: San Diego, Toronto, Philadelphia, Oakland, the Cubs. (didnt give detailed descriptions on these ones like he did with the ones over der ^)

Picks he questioned were Brewers pick of Victor Roache at 28, STL pick of James Ramsey at 23, Chi Sox no. 48 pick Keon Barnum.

He gave descriptions of each one and why he did or did not like the picks.
nothing at all about the Giants
youre welcome
[ Edited by ImaMod on Jun 5, 2012 at 8:42 AM ]
Originally posted by ImaMod:

Picks he really liked were Astros 1st pick of Carlos Correa, Pirates pick of Appel at 8, Nats Luc Golito at 16, Red Sox Deven Marrero at 24, Rays Richie Shaffer at 25
Others he liked: San Diego, Toronto, Philadelphia, Oakland, the Cubs. (didnt give detailed descriptions on these ones like he did with the ones over der ^)

Picks he questioned were Brewers pick of Victor Roache at 28, STL pick of James Ramsey at 23, Chi Sox no. 48 pick Keon Barnum.

He gave descriptions of each one and why he did or did not like the picks.
nothing at all about the Giants
youre welcome

Thanks. I figured he would like the nats pick and the pirates pick. I did too. Bummed he didnt mention the giants pick.
All these players get drafted but unlike the other major leagues most of these dudes wont even play a big league game
All these players get drafted but unlike the other major leagues most of these dudes wont even play a big league game

This

Just depends how you look at it. At least they have a shot or a chance to chase the dream. It takes a lot of players to fill the A, AA, AAA rosters and a lot can happen. So many kids get a chance to play, most wash out but at least they did it.

On the flip side, the hardest league to make it in is probably the NBA. Small number of players, only like 60 picks in the draft and only the first round is really relevant. All those college players never get to move on for at least a shot.

Just depends how you look at it. At least they have a shot or a chance to chase the dream. It takes a lot of players to fill the A, AA, AAA rosters and a lot can happen. So many kids get a chance to play, most wash out but at least they did it.

On the flip side, the hardest league to make it in is probably the NBA. Small number of players, only like 60 picks in the draft and only the first round is really relevant. All those college players never get to move on for at least a shot.
I wasnt attacking these players, good for them for getting drafted. I just think its a trip that most of these guys wont pay a big league game

I wasnt attacking these players, good for them for getting drafted. I just think its a trip that most of these guys wont pay a big league game

I know you werent. Just adding on to the thought. And one of the kids I posted yesterday texted me and said he probably wont get drafted until next year. poor kid, had an injury and set him back a year. Was supposed to be cape cod league and got the coastal league instead. Good league, but not the cape.
Originally posted by IdentityCrisis:
Me too and I hope we keep it up. I've always preferred high schoolers over college guys. It seems like most of the superstars in MLB were drafted out of high school.

It may seem that way, but actually the most successful MLB players are on average drafted out of college. There have been several studies looking into this. College players (specifically bats are more likely to turn out to be solid regulars as well as stars).

College Bats > College Pitchers > HS bats > HS Pitchers

in terms of predictability of success rate.

Interesting. Would you mind giving me a few links to this if you can?

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/high-school-draftees-and-elite-seasons/

http://www.mlbbonusbaby.com/2011/7/3/2255951/mlb-draft-success-rates

The definitions of success in these cases is defined by WAR.
Giants have gone with a college starter from St. Marys, a college bat from Wake Forest, and a college closer from Oklahoma.

The closer from Oklahoma, Steven Okert is supposed to be lights out and not too far off.
Originally posted by IdentityCrisis:
I'd like to see the Giants go after Nolan Fontana or Christian Walker if theyre available at #80

Also like HS arm Hunter Virant and college bat Kenny Diekroeger

Figures, Fontana goes with the first pick of the 2nd round after I jinx it. It doesn't seem like Virant is going to be drafted. Must fit in with a guy like Freddy Avis with STRONG commits to college.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
the draft doesn't mean s**t

hard to get excited about players that probably will never end up on the team

Tigers select Jake Thompson, a 6-foot-4, 235-pound right-handed pitcher out of Rockwall-Heath High School in Heath, Texas.

Thompson is committed to play ball for TCU, next season, however, the hope is that he'll decide to sign. Thompson told Scout.com he'll weigh the options and make a "smart decision."

The Tigers took another Texas high school player with their third-round selection. At pick No. 121, outfielder Austin Schotts, a 5-foot-11, 180-pounder out of Centennial High School was taken.

His MLB.com bio describe him as having "incredible speed" and "great range." Schotts played shortstop in high school, however, if he forgoes his commitment to play for Oklahoma State, the Tigers hope to turn him into a center fielder.

The bio also called him one of the more "polished" prep bats, but said he could be a tough sign.
Share 49ersWebzone