There are 87 users in the forums

The Official 2012 MLB Draft Thread

Anyone have any insight on Yankees pick Ty Hensley, a RHP from High School in Oklahoma.
I'd like to see the Giants go after Nolan Fontana or Christian Walker if theyre available at #80

Also like HS arm Hunter Virant and college bat Kenny Diekroeger
[ Edited by IdentityCrisis on Jun 4, 2012 at 9:26 PM ]
Wow was not expecting the A's to go all high school bats with all 3 of their first rounders. The last time the A's drafted even 1 high schooler in the 1st round was 2001 (Jeremy Bonerman) and the last high school position player they drafted in the 1st was Eric Chavez (10th pick in 1996). To have not one but 3 first round prep position players is completely unprecedented.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Wow was not expecting the A's to go all high school bats with all 3 of their first rounders. The last time the A's drafted even 1 high schooler in the 1st round was 2001 (Jeremy Bonerman) and the last high school position player they drafted in the 1st was Eric Chavez (10th pick in 1996). To have not one but 3 first round prep position players is completely unprecedented.

Ya totally unexpected
I kinda like it though lol
Originally posted by ImaMod:

Ya totally unexpected
I kinda like it though lol

Me too and I hope we keep it up. I've always preferred high schoolers over college guys. It seems like most of the superstars in MLB were drafted out of high school.
Me too and I hope we keep it up. I've always preferred high schoolers over college guys. It seems like most of the superstars in MLB were drafted out of high school.

It may seem that way, but actually the most successful MLB players are on average drafted out of college. There have been several studies looking into this. College players (specifically bats are more likely to turn out to be solid regulars as well as stars).

College Bats > College Pitchers > HS bats > HS Pitchers

in terms of predictability of success rate.
Originally posted by IdentityCrisis:

It may seem that way, but actually the most successful MLB players are on average drafted out of college. There have been several studies looking into this. College players (specifically bats are more likely to turn out to be solid regulars as well as stars).

College Bats > College Pitchers > HS bats > HS Pitchers

in terms of predictability of success rate.

Interesting. Would you mind giving me a few links to this if you can?

A guy named Bonerman???
someone who has ESPN insider access go look at the winners and losers of the draft and report back.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

A guy named Bonerman???
Its supposed to be Bonderman
[ Edited by WookieOftheYear on Jun 5, 2012 at 7:21 AM ]
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

A guy named Bonerman???

LOL I meant Bonderman. Freudian slip?
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
someone who has ESPN insider access go look at the winners and losers of the draft and report back.

They have winners and losers after one round? This is ridiculous. You know how it supposedly takes 3 years to grade a draft in the NFL, well it takes like 5 years to grade an MLB draft and this one has barely started. I guess they're just trying really hard to build up hype....

They have winners and losers after one round? This is ridiculous. You know how it supposedly takes 3 years to grade a draft in the NFL, well it takes like 5 years to grade an MLB draft and this one has barely started. I guess they're just trying really hard to build up hype....

Exactly, doesnt mean I dont want to read it.

Now someone go post it.

Exactly, doesnt mean I dont want to read it.

Now someone go post it.
Cant post insider articles, you should know this as a mod
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
Cant post insider articles, you should know this as a mod

I dont want the article, I want a damn summary. Does everything need to be spelled out to you? No wonder you work the phones.
Share 49erswebzone