LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 455 users in the forums

Official 2011-12 Oakland Athletics Offseason Thread

SO I decided to start this up on the cusp of this Cahill trade.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20111209&content_id=26138636&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb&partnerId=rss_mlb&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

The A's and D-backs are closing in on a deal that will send right-hander Trevor Cahill and lefty reliever Craig Breslow to Arizona, MLB.com learned on Friday.

In return, Oakland is expected to receive prized pitching prospect Jarrod Parker and outfielder Collin Cowgill, baseball sources confirmed. Another player could also be heading Oakland's way in the multi-player package.

Cahill, who would fortify the D-backs' rotation, is owed $29 million over the next four years in a deal that also includes two club options. Oakland's decision to move the 23-year-old only further represents its latest attempt at rebuilding while it awaits word on a new stadium.
This looks like a really dumb trade to me. I dont get why theyd do this trade?

We trade a good 23 year old starting pitcher and a decent relief pitcherand get a 5'9 center fielder with obviously no power, and a prospect relief pitcher?

Seriously? Why trade a proven 23 year old? I know were rebuilding (we do every year) BUT CAHILL IS 23 YEARS OLD!!

I dont get it..
If were rebuilding... why are we trading a proven 23 year old (Cahill) who is locked up for 6 years for a UNPROVEN 23 year old relief pitcher and 25 year old CF who have barely played in the MLB??

this does not make sense billy
[ Edited by ItsKapTime on Dec 9, 2011 at 4:29 PM ]
Originally posted by ItsKapTime:
If were rebuilding... why are we trading a proven 23 year old (Cahill) who is locked up for 6 years for a UNPROVEN 23 year old relief pitcher and 25 year old CF who have barely played in the MLB??

this does not make sense billy

Oakland's decision to move the 23-year-old only further represents its latest attempt at rebuilding while it awaits word on a new stadium.

Salary dump, bro. None of us would be happy about trading Cahill, but this is the A's way of operating. I'm not shocked or surprised at all.

Cahill is $7M a year for the next four. The only way that I'd be happy about this deal is if Wolff was attempting to dump (high) salaries prior to a sale.
Originally posted by Jigga:
Salary dump, bro. None of us would be happy about trading Cahill, but this is the A's way of operating. I'm not shocked or surprised at all.

Cahill is $7M a year for the next four. The only way that I'd be happy about this deal is if Wolff was attempting to dump (high) salaries prior to a sale.

Ya I realize that but at least get something useful in return.. If were in rebuilding mode why are we trading a 23 year old for a 25 year old CF?? If we dont plan on winning in the next 5 years then trade for younger players. It just has no logic to it besides the A's being the same cheap A's. god dammit I hope this means were keeping Gio at least
The A's are stupid. They could've gotten more for trevor but I think they are purposefully trynna low ball this team so they can move to san jose.
You guys are seriously underrating Jarrod Parker. He's one of the top pitching prospects in the minors. Not a big fan of the deal myself, but it isn't nearly as bad as you guys are making it out to be.

I wish Bud Selig would stop shuffling his feet and make his decision on San Jose. Seriously his "blue ribbon panel" (more like red tape panel with the way they've operated) was supposed to announce it's decision two years ago (if not longer). Now the A's go in an endless cycle of rebuilding every 3 years as they wait to see what will happen.
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
You guys are seriously underrating Jarrod Parker. He's one of the top pitching prospects in the minors. Not a big fan of the deal myself, but it isn't nearly as bad as you guys are making it out to be.

I wish Bud Selig would stop shuffling his feet and make his decision on San Jose. Seriously his "blue ribbon panel" (more like red tape panel with the way they've operated) was supposed to announce it's decision two years ago (if not longer). Now the A's go in an endless cycle of rebuilding every 3 years as they wait to see what will happen.

Parker is a good prospect but this is a sign that the A's are totally giving up on any thoughts of contending this year. With they Pujols and Wilson signing they know there is no chance they can finish higher than 3rd in this division. Its going to be another long year for A's fans I'm afraid.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:

Parker is a good prospect but this is a sign that the A's are totally giving up on any thoughts of contending this year. With they Pujols and Wilson signing they know there is no chance they can finish higher than 3rd in this division. Its going to be another long year for A's fans I'm afraid.

I don't blame them. It'll be good for me to not follow the A's this year. Much more free time to other things that will actually be rewarding in the long run. Now that the Niners are winning, it doesn't bother me so much that the A's will compete for the #1 pick.

After looking at the trade and analysts views on it it really isn't that bad. We traded Cahill for someone who probably will be an ace and got 2 average prospects.

But it shows how bad we don't care about winning this year, and with Cahill really only having 1 good year this isn't a terrible trade but I think we could have gotten more for a 23 yrold Cahill
Gio traded to the Nationals

CSNWashington.com's Mark Zuckerman reported Thursday that a resolution is near. He wrote that Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo checked in with A's
 GM Billy Beane during the Winter Meetings, though came away at the time feeling like Beane's asking price -- three or four top prospects -- was far too high.

Zuckerman indicated that the names being bandied about from Washington's farm system include the likes of Brad Peacock, Derek Norris and A.J. Cole. Peacock and Cole were listed third and fourth among all Nationals prospects this offseason, behind only Bryce Harper and Anthony Rendon, according to Baseball America's annual rankings.

Read more: Report: A's set to deal Gonzalez

Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story 
[ Edited by ItsKapTime on Dec 22, 2011 at 1:33 PM ]
AAAA Farm team
At least Beane didn't send Gonzalez to a team in the NL West.
Originally posted by dcsham:
At least Beane didn't send Gonzalez to a team in the NL West.
or AL west ..
Rangers were interested in him and bailey

And I'm guessing you're a giants fan?
Share 49ersWebzone