LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 356 users in the forums

2011-12 General NBA Discussion Thread

Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
Go ahead and give us the Championship already

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA Minnesota has agreed to trade the 18th overall pick in Thursday's draft to Houston for Chase Budinger, league sources tell Y! Sports.
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA Houston has also included the rights to Israeli Lior Eliyahu in the deal to Minnesota, a source said.

Pics or you're a Lior
[ Edited by TheSixthRing on Jun 26, 2012 at 12:10 PM ]
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:
Originally posted by ImaMod:
ESPN NBA - Timberwolves acquire F Chase Budinger from Rockets for 18th pick in NBA Draft, according to sources

That's 3 draft picks for the Rockets now

can he play defense?

No, he's a terrible defender but he was surprisingly good offensively in Adelman's system then noticably dropped off after he left.
ESPN NBA - Timberwolves acquire F Chase Budinger from Rockets for 18th pick in NBA Draft, according to sources

That's 3 draft picks for the Rockets now

apparently they are loading up to go for Howard + Deron W

aka

Kill Brooklyn Nets Hopes & Dreams
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ads_2006:
apparently they are loading up to go for Howard + Deron W

aka

Kill Brooklyn Nets Hopes & Dreams

I knew they were going after Howard but that all makes sense now. D Will is from dallas, not sure how far it is from Houston but I bet he'd go to houston over Dallas if Howard is there. And Howard probably wouldn't have originally signed a contract extension but if they bring D Will he will, I think.

And Lowrie was basically untouchable last season but now he's in trade rumors all over the place
Budinger is a good 3 point shooter, played better defense last year, but subpar overall defensively.

David Aldridge says Howard won't stay in Houston if traded to there. It's either deal for Howard and end up losing him, or build through the draft.

Only real good players left on team:

Luis Scola
Chandler Parsons
Patrick Patterson
Courtney Lee (RFA, Jonathan Feigen of Chron.com says the Rockets will match any offer)
Kyle Lowry (Might be traded for a top 10 pick according to reports)

Kevin Martin is useless now, terrible on defense, and injury prone last year. Some think he has value as a expiring contract.

Rockets want to keep Goran Dragic and Marcus Camby, while shopping Samuel Dalembert, who has a non-fully guaranteed contract with only $1.5M of the nearly $6.7M salary guaranteed.

Donatas Motiejunas is likely coming over from Poland, while they are hoping for Sergio Lull to be convinced to come over.

Rockets could have cap room, they have only 10 players committed for 2012-2013, at $41,473,362, but between Motiejunas, the 14th, 16th and 18th picks, and Lee's RFA offer they have $8,484,524 committed. Plus Derek Fisher counts $644,005 from his buyout.

They also have player holds of $22,910,139 for 4 players(Frederic Weis, Marcus Camby, Goran Dragic and Earl Boykins).

Not sure that the 2012-2013 cap will be, I believe it was $58.836M last year.

NOTE: They have a few guys signed who can be easily waived due to non-guaranteed contracts, Courtney Fortson, Greg Smith and Diamon Simpson.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Poor Ben gordon. Id hate to be traded to the Bobcats

"@chadfordinsider: Bobcats send Corey Maggette to Pistons for Ben Gordon and a 2013 protected first rounder sources confirm to ESPN. @WojYahooNBA 1st reported"
Poor Ben gordon. Id hate to be traded to the Bobcats

"@chadfordinsider: Bobcats send Corey Maggette to Pistons for Ben Gordon and a 2013 protected first rounder sources confirm to ESPN. @WojYahooNBA 1st reported"

Damn. Looks like the Bobcats aren't taking Beal then if they ever were.
Originally posted by marshniners24:

I don't think Gordon would keep them from taking Beal. They likely made that deal for the pick from Detroit, and they're so far away from contention that by the time they might have a chance at the playoffs, Gordon will likely be off the books.

That said, I don't think they're taking Beal anyway.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by marshniners24:

I don't think Gordon would keep them from taking Beal. They likely made that deal for the pick from Detroit, and they're so far away from contention that by the time they might have a chance at the playoffs, Gordon will likely be off the books.

That said, I don't think they're taking Beal anyway.

Eh the pick is lottery protected for the pistons. I think they did it for Gordon more than for the pick.

"@chadfordinsider: Pistons save around $14M long-term in deal. Bobcats new head coach Mike Dunlap said teams biggest need was shooters."
Originally posted by Jigga:
I agree here. I intentionally practiced the Ray Allen drill as well as other outside shooting drills with my squad, because I really only had 2-3 girls that could create their own shot. Once we figured out how to correctly move the rock around on the perimeter, we obliterated defenses. Luckily, more than half of the girls on the team were fairly good shooters.

Sure, most teams played zone against us, but I had at least 5-6 different sets (including screening vs the zone) that got us open looks.

Vs man D, we ran a ton of high pick-and-roll late in the season, in order to get our best ballhanders and creators some mismatches. Needless to say, if you can pick and roll efficiently at any level, you'll get plenty of high % buckets.

Did you emphasize skip passing when doing this, or just basic ball reversal type of stuff? Also, did you run set plays vs. zones, or did you have a react & react type of zone offense?

Ya...the PnR needs to be a part of every offense.

Part of me wonders if coaching girls is easier in this sense. It's amazing how often stubborn guys dribble right into the teeth of a zone, and don't the patience to shift it first with ball movement.
[ Edited by LA9erFan on Jun 26, 2012 at 5:42 PM ]

Eh the pick is lottery protected for the pistons. I think they did it for Gordon more than for the pick.

"@chadfordinsider: Pistons save around $14M long-term in deal. Bobcats new head coach Mike Dunlap said teams biggest need was shooters."

I stand corrected. They're just dumb then.
Bobcats are coming up.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Did you emphasize skip passing when doing this, or just basic ball reversal type of stuff? Also, did you run set plays vs. zones, or did you have a react & react type of zone offense?

Ya...the PnR needs to be a part of every offense.

Part of me wonders if coaching girls is easier in this sense. It's amazing how often stubborn guys dribble right into the teeth of a zone, and don't the patience to shift it first with ball movement.

Skip passes and Popovich-like ball reversal against the zonewere key to a few of the plays. But the most important thing that I had to continue emphasize (to the ballhandlers) was to Penetrate and make the defenders commit. Most girls weren't quick enough to read and react to the swing of the ball. But it's paramount that the perimeter players have chemistry with the distributors...understanding passing lanes...knowing how to move without the rock...being ready to shoot at all times. Man, I had to repeat these things ad nauseum.

And uh, regarding boys vs girls, I had to coach the "attitudes" at times as well, bro. Girls tend to invest a bit more emotion (into everything LOL), so that made things annoying at times. But overall, they followed instructions and got used to playing my style of ball.
Originally posted by TheGoldStandard:
Bobcats are coming up.

When you win 7 games the only place to go is up
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Question:

If Mike Miller is retiring - can he be traded prior to his retirement to a team looking for cap relief and trying to get rid of a contract? Can Miami do this?
Share 49ersWebzone