There are 193 users in the forums

2011-12 General NBA Discussion Thread

Larry Bird steeping down as president of Pacers. Wow, unexpected. Great career after being a player, not common. Succeeded at every job after playing.
Go ahead and give us the Championship already

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA Minnesota has agreed to trade the 18th overall pick in Thursday's draft to Houston for Chase Budinger, league sources tell Y! Sports.
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA Houston has also included the rights to Israeli Lior Eliyahu in the deal to Minnesota, a source said.
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA The Rockets own the 14th, 16th and 18th picks in Thursday's draft. They want to make an offer that Orlando can't refuse for Dwight Howard.
Man the Wolves have a lot of white players, im starting to think Kahn might be a little racist
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by Amir:
rip hamilton would not like you as coach.

Haha. Well, the NBA's a little different, in that the defenses are so good that mid-range is often the only thing that's open, and the offensive players are so good that they can hit that on a regular basis. If he was one of my players, he'd have the green light to shoot mid-range because he's good at it.

That said, even the NBA numbers are interesting...

At rim = 62.6%
3-9 feet = 37.6%
10-15 feet = 38.3%
15-23 feet = 38.1%

Three Pointers = 52.3% (eFG, due to the extra point)

http://hoopdata.com/teamshotlocs.aspx

What if you can design some nice spot up mid-range plays?
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Larry Bird steeping down as president of Pacers. Wow, unexpected. Great career after being a player, not common. Succeeded at every job after playing. If Bird was Paki, he woulda sucked.

reported for being racist.
Originally posted by Joecool:

Haha. Well, the NBA's a little different, in that the defenses are so good that mid-range is often the only thing that's open, and the offensive players are so good that they can hit that on a regular basis. If he was one of my players, he'd have the green light to shoot mid-range because he's good at it.

At rim = 62.6%
3-9 feet = 37.6%
10-15 feet = 38.3%
15-23 feet = 38.1%

I don't understand your question.

At rim = 62.6%
3-9 feet = 37.6%
10-15 feet = 38.3%
15-23 feet = 38.1%

I don't understand your question.

The main thought behind the low mid-range percentage is that they are usually shot off the dribble. What if you are able to design plays that get the mid-range open for a spot up 15 footer? I wonder if that would increase the mid-range percentage to near 50%.
The main thought behind the low mid-range percentage is that they are usually shot off the dribble. What if you are able to design plays that get the mid-range open for a spot up 15 footer? I wonder if that would increase the mid-range percentage to near 50%.

For some guys, sure. But "spot up" mid-range shots are hard to come by, because by definition you're closer to the defenders that are trying to close out. That's why they're often from the baseline (think Ibaka/Horace Grant 15-footer) because the help only comes from one direction in that situation.
[ Edited by LA9erFan on Jun 26, 2012 at 8:45 AM ]
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
ESPN NBA - Timberwolves acquire F Chase Budinger from Rockets for 18th pick in NBA Draft, according to sources

That's 3 draft picks for the Rockets now

For some guys, sure. But "spot up" mid-range shots are hard to come by, because by definition you're closer to the defenders that are trying to close out. That's why they're often from the baseline (think Ibaka/Horace Grant 15-footer) because the help only comes from one direction in that situation.

Yes, very difficult in the NBA but maybe not HS.

What about off-ball screens getting an offensive player with a slight step-back while his man is screened.

You should see if you can come up with some innovative stuff...if the younger players can mentally handle it. Would be cool to see a game with designed wide open 10-15 footers snap of the wrist shots mixed in with bank shots from very giving angles/spots.

These types of plays could possibly get even more open threes or easy layups if the ball is moved properly to the weakside.
[ Edited by Joecool on Jun 26, 2012 at 9:17 AM ]
Yes, very difficult in the NBA but maybe not HS.

What about off-ball screens getting an offensive player with a slight step-back while his man is screened.

You should see if you can come up with some innovative stuff...if the younger players can mentally handle it. Would be cool to see a game with designed wide open 10-15 footers snap of the wrist shots mixed in with bank shots from very giving angles/spots.

These types of plays could possibly get even more open threes or easy layups if the ball is moved properly to the weakside.

Based on this post, I don't think you've seen a lot of HS basketball.

First of all, there's so much zone that the off-the-ball screen stuff that I think you're talking about is inapplicable. You need to learn how to screen the zone, but it's very different than when facing man-to-man defenses.

Secondly, the idea of these kids running off of off-the-ball screens and knocking down 15 footers without their feet set is not realistic at all. This is an age group that shoots between 55-65% (at most) at the FT line, with their feet set and no one guarding them. The idea that they'd hit that shot on a regular basis without their feet set and with defense closing out on them just isn't going to happen. Then you still have the problem of regardless of how innovative a coach is, those players are still getting their shots closer to the defense that's closing out. It's all about spacing. On top of that, you're almost never going to draw a foul while shooting from mid-range. I'd love to face a coach that designed their game plan around 10-15 footers.

I'd rather have them step back and get the extra 50% reward for shooting a three. And that's arguably an easier shot than the 15 footer, because again, you've spaced yourself from the defense. Mid-range is just not a smart shot on the HS level.
Based on this post, I don't think you've seen a lot of HS basketball.

First of all, there's so much zone that the off-the-ball screen stuff that I think you're talking about is inapplicable. You need to learn how to screen the zone, but it's very different than when facing man-to-man defenses.

Secondly, the idea of these kids running off of off-the-ball screens and knocking down 15 footers without their feet set is not realistic at all. This is an age group that shoots between 55-65% (at most) at the FT line, with their feet set and no one guarding them. The idea that they'd hit that shot on a regular basis without their feet set and with defense closing out on them just isn't going to happen. Then you still have the problem of regardless of how innovative a coach is, those players are still getting their shots closer to the defense that's closing out. It's all about spacing. On top of that, you're almost never going to draw a foul while shooting from mid-range. I'd love to face a coach that designed their game plan around 10-15 footers.

I'd rather have them step back and get the extra 50% reward for shooting a three. And that's arguably an easier shot than the 15 footer, because again, you've spaced yourself from the defense. Mid-range is just not a smart shot on the HS level.

I agree here. I intentionally practiced the Ray Allen drill as well as other outside shooting drills with my squad, because I really only had 2-3 girls that could create their own shot. Once we figured out how to correctly move the rock around on the perimeter, we obliterated defenses. Luckily, more than half of the girls on the team were fairly good shooters.

Sure, most teams played zone against us, but I had at least 5-6 different sets (including screening vs the zone) that got us open looks.

Vs man D, we ran a ton of high pick-and-roll late in the season, in order to get our best ballhanders and creators some mismatches. Needless to say, if you can pick and roll efficiently at any level, you'll get plenty of high % buckets.
[ Edited by Jigga on Jun 26, 2012 at 11:29 AM ]
Originally posted by ImaMod:
ESPN NBA - Timberwolves acquire F Chase Budinger from Rockets for 18th pick in NBA Draft, according to sources

can he play defense?
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:
Originally posted by ImaMod:

can he play defense?

All I know about him is he can jump high and he's white
Share 49ersWebzone