There are 275 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Week 7: 49er Thoughts after watching STANFORD game....

Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Colby Fleener is one of the top TEs along with Egnew of Mizzou, Ladarius Green of LA-Lafayette, and Davis Paulson of Oregon. As far as which one of those 4 goes first, it will probably depend on their work outs.



Calling Stanford's offense QB Friendly is kind of a joke. I would like to hear from you what successful offense isn't QB friendly in college...And the QB Friendly label is used to typically describe spread offenses that make a QB look a lot better than he is because it inflates his statistics.

Harbaugh used a run-first, pro-oriented offense built around a great O-line and multiple TEs in motion. Not much has changed with his offense at 49ers (although I think we are still one TE short of what Harbaugh wants to do).

And if you think Luck is removed from making decisions, I think you are totally mistaken. Just because its play action doesn't mean he isn't making a decision.

If you watch Stanford enough, you'll see they have no problem opening up the passing game if their run game struggles, but they prefer to use passing game as the killshot and use running to control possession and wear down a team.

Finally, one major reason Luck hasn't opened up his passing game much is you have to look at college recruiting to understand. Stanford has an extremely hard time getting WRs to commit, so in terms of WR talent there isn't much there outside of Owusu. Alternatively, Harbaugh was able to get a s**t load of TEs to commit because other teams weren't as focused on recruiting that position.
You missed the point, Its not about Luck being in a QB friendly system par say as we see in most college and NFL teams or it seems they have those intentions , its merely pointing out the fact that both the 49ers and Stanford don't ask a hole heck of a lot from their QB's its a run all over you mentality, again you would be foolish to ignore Luck's weaknesses that are blatantly masked kinda like someone we know down in Frisco and not saying Luck has a laundry list of them but just like any QB in the NFL they all have weaknesses that their respective teams try to cover up.
[ Edited by Natewillis2252 on Oct 24, 2011 at 3:25 PM ]
Originally posted by Natewillis2252:
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Colby Fleener is one of the top TEs along with Egnew of Mizzou, Ladarius Green of LA-Lafayette, and Davis Paulson of Oregon. As far as which one of those 4 goes first, it will probably depend on their work outs.



Calling Stanford's offense QB Friendly is kind of a joke. I would like to hear from you what successful offense isn't QB friendly in college...And the QB Friendly label is used to typically describe spread offenses that make a QB look a lot better than he is because it inflates his statistics.

Harbaugh used a run-first, pro-oriented offense built around a great O-line and multiple TEs in motion. Not much has changed with his offense at 49ers (although I think we are still one TE short of what Harbaugh wants to do).

And if you think Luck is removed from making decisions, I think you are totally mistaken. Just because its play action doesn't mean he isn't making a decision.

If you watch Stanford enough, you'll see they have no problem opening up the passing game if their run game struggles, but they prefer to use passing game as the killshot and use running to control possession and wear down a team.

Finally, one major reason Luck hasn't opened up his passing game much is you have to look at college recruiting to understand. Stanford has an extremely hard time getting WRs to commit, so in terms of WR talent there isn't much there outside of Owusu. Alternatively, Harbaugh was able to get a s**t load of TEs to commit because other teams weren't as focused on recruiting that position.
You missed the point, Its not about Luck being in a QB friendly system par say as we see in most college and NFL teams or it seems they have those intentions , its merely pointing out the fact that both the 49ers and Stanford don't ask a hole heck of a lot from their QB's its a run all over you mentality, again you would be foolish to ignore Luck's weaknesses that are blatantly masked kinda like someone we know down in Frisco and not saying Luck has a laundry list of them but just like any QB in the NFL they all have weaknesses that their respective teams try to cover up.

You are completely wrong if you don't think Stanford relies on Luck to win games....When your team is running for close to 400 yards and piling on points, why the hell would you bother throwing the ball? Stanford's team takes what opposing defenses give them.

And what weakness does Luck have? That he doesn't run a throw-first offense?

Please, give me a list of Luck's weaknesses that Stanford "covers up"
Luck is clearly the best prospect for the 2012 draft. But i never like to call any one a cant miss pick, cause there arent any.

Luck may very well be the next elway. I would love Luck in SF, but I was never on the the whole suck for luck crap. If harbaugh decided to tank, he would of lost all trust and respect from the players in the locker room.

As for Fleener, he is a draft pick, not sure where yet.
Originally posted by Natewillis2252:
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Colby Fleener is one of the top TEs along with Egnew of Mizzou, Ladarius Green of LA-Lafayette, and Davis Paulson of Oregon. As far as which one of those 4 goes first, it will probably depend on their work outs.



Calling Stanford's offense QB Friendly is kind of a joke. I would like to hear from you what successful offense isn't QB friendly in college...And the QB Friendly label is used to typically describe spread offenses that make a QB look a lot better than he is because it inflates his statistics.

Harbaugh used a run-first, pro-oriented offense built around a great O-line and multiple TEs in motion. Not much has changed with his offense at 49ers (although I think we are still one TE short of what Harbaugh wants to do).

And if you think Luck is removed from making decisions, I think you are totally mistaken. Just because its play action doesn't mean he isn't making a decision.

If you watch Stanford enough, you'll see they have no problem opening up the passing game if their run game struggles, but they prefer to use passing game as the killshot and use running to control possession and wear down a team.

Finally, one major reason Luck hasn't opened up his passing game much is you have to look at college recruiting to understand. Stanford has an extremely hard time getting WRs to commit, so in terms of WR talent there isn't much there outside of Owusu. Alternatively, Harbaugh was able to get a s**t load of TEs to commit because other teams weren't as focused on recruiting that position.
You missed the point, Its not about Luck being in a QB friendly system par say as we see in most college and NFL teams or it seems they have those intentions , its merely pointing out the fact that both the 49ers and Stanford don't ask a hole heck of a lot from their QB's its a run all over you mentality, again you would be foolish to ignore Luck's weaknesses that are blatantly masked kinda like someone we know down in Frisco and not saying Luck has a laundry list of them but just like any QB in the NFL they all have weaknesses that their respective teams try to cover up.

Just so everyone knows my point, I am not saying Luck isn't any good in fact I think he is a very good QB. My point is this to make it clearer, Every team whether its at the collegic level or the pros, all teams try to hide their QB's weaknesses and try to maximize their strengths and here are Luck's weaknesses ive assets over the last couple years.

Luck is very accurate but Stanford has masked a lot of Luck's flaws. I noticed that Luck tends to skip alil when hes pressured, kinda sounds like someone we know. Also ive noticed he has an awkward wind up, sometimes he drops the ball lower than it needs to be on his body. Luck's deep ball accuracy could use some work,he struggles at times, trying to lead a defender down the field. Sometimes his arm strength gets the best of him and he'll put too much on a pass, overthrowing the defender. Ive caught him several times this year staring down his defenders. He has a lot of work but most QB's do coming out of college, It requires good coaching to sift through the QB's weaknesses and either mask them or drill them till they are corrected.
[ Edited by Natewillis2252 on Oct 24, 2011 at 3:37 PM ]
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
You are completely wrong if you don't think Stanford relies on Luck to win games....When your team is running for close to 400 yards and piling on points, why the hell would you bother throwing the ball? Stanford's team takes what opposing defenses give them.

And what weakness does Luck have? That he doesn't run a throw-first offense?

Please, give me a list of Luck's weaknesses that Stanford "covers up"

You already answered your own question why would they ask him to win games if they can run all over anyone? Your taking it as I think he cant win ball games for Stanford that's not what im saying at all, Im just pointing out that all teams do this its not a bad thing to take away a QB's weaknesses all teams do this its smart football lol
I think we'll be taking a strong look at David DeCastro if he declares.
Originally posted by Hopper:
I think we'll be taking a strong look at David DeCastro if he declares.

Hell yea! dude is a beast! would love to bring in this guy to eventually replace Snyder.
I think my meaning her has been scewed a bit.

My point here wasn't to attack Luck. I'd love to have him on the team.

All I'm saying is that the stong innovative run game allows for Luck to get recivers wide open for relatively easy throws. This is a good thing. He SELLS the play action. He MAKES the plays that need to be made. He is a great athlete.

....I'm just saying that I think that particular offense has alot to do with it. If you don't think that the offense he plays in has protected him or that its a QB friendly system, then I don't know what to tell you. We are watching different games.
why did this get moved to this section?
Originally posted by Marvin49:
I think my meaning her has been scewed a bit.

My point here wasn't to attack Luck. I'd love to have him on the team.

All I'm saying is that the stong innovative run game allows for Luck to get recivers wide open for relatively easy throws. This is a good thing. He SELLS the play action. He MAKES the plays that need to be made. He is a great athlete.

....I'm just saying that I think that particular offense has alot to do with it. If you don't think that the offense he plays in has protected him or that its a QB friendly system, then I don't know what to tell you. We are watching different games.

I still don't think their offense falls under the QB friendly system. You could say the samething about "easy" throws for every succesful offense. No succesful offense in college is constantly asking their QB to make difficult throws.

Once again, name one offense in college where a QB doesn't make "easy" throws that puts up a ton of points. Every offense in the entire nation is about trying to create space for their playmakers (ie wide open) and every offense has a different tactic to do that. A spread offense uses a different system to get their recievers in space then a power-run Stanford offense.
Originally posted by ninertico:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Wow, great eye and analysis! Nice work Marv

Indeed!

Also, love that stat on Luck.

this