There are 212 users in the forums

Week 7: 49er Thoughts after watching STANFORD game....

Just a few thoughts on a bye week....

1) It really is amazing how similar these offenses are. 7 Linemen sets. 3 TE sets. 7 Linemen, 2 TE sets. Crazy. Motion all over the place.

2) To all the "Alex Smith is only throwing for 125 yards" critics. Andrew Luck....16-21 169 yards and 2 TDs. How did they win by so much? They RAN for 400+ yards For all of the attention Luck gets, Stanford is a RUNNING team. Just ask Toby Gerhart.

3) I think the Niners will be looking at TE Coby Fleener in the draft next year.

4) I really like Andrew Luck, but part of me wonders if he is a product of his system and that he isn't the can't miss prospect he is billed to be. It seems to me that Harbaugh is the QB Whisperer and ALL of his QBs perform.

5) It also seems that Harbaugh is treating Kaepernick the same way he treated Luck. Harbaugh redshirted Luck his first year. Even if Smith struggles, I'd be really surprised to see Kaep start a game this year.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Oct 24, 2011 at 11:16 AM ]
man I really hope we can translate all the style of offense from Stanford to the nfl!!

its so different from waht anyother team is doing I feel we are onto something!!

I hope we can perfected and inovated even more!!

playoffs here we come!!!

go niners
Wow, great eye and analysis! Nice work Marv
The Wham running play is being picked up by other teams now, both the Lions and Falcons were using it yesterday, albeit not quite as well as the 49ers run it. It's nice having a coaching staff that is competent; can't remember the last time other teams were taking plays out of our playbook.
Maybe it's the perfect time for this type of offense. The league has been moving towards a passing league with the rule changes to cater the pass and insurgence of college qb coming from the spread offense. Defense are generally built to stop the pass, getting to the qb. Harbaugh and Co. is turning that upside down. Using big bodies, against speedy defenders. Make them work through blocks and leverage. Then just when it took them all that they can to get the running game under control, there's still that passing game they have to worry about. If you think Harbaugh's offense is just a running offense, you are mistaken. Remember this guy was a former qb, there's no qb that doesn't like to throw the ball, whether he's a player or a coach.
if you watched other cardinal games, Luck does throw a lot more and it is why he gets the attention. Stanford finds and exploits the other teams weakness and it happened to be the run this game.

If you want to measure Luck, this weekends game and the one Vs Oregon are the games to watch.
Originally posted by travisdecpn:
The Wham running play is being picked up by other teams now, both the Lions and Falcons were using it yesterday, albeit not quite as well as the 49ers run it. It's nice having a coaching staff that is competent; can't remember the last time other teams were taking plays out of our playbook.

They have been doing that. They just gave it to their defense to call out at the LOS against our offense.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Oct 24, 2011 at 11:34 AM ]
Good post Marv, Ive watched a lot of Stanford games Luck is very accurate but Harbaugh has masked a lot of Luck's flaws I noticed that Luck tends to skip alil when hes pressured, kinda sounds like someone we know. Also ive noticed he has an awkward wind up, sometimes he drops the ball lower than it needs to be on his body. Luck's deep ball accuracy could use some work,he struggles at times, trying to lead a defender down the field. Sometimes his arm strength gets the best of him and he'll put too much on a pass, overthrowing the defender. Ive caught him several times this year staring down his defenders. He has a lot of work but most QB's do coming out of college, It requires good coaching to sift through the QB's weaknesses and either mask them or drill them till they are corrected
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Marvin49:

1) It really is amazing how similar these offenses are. 7 Linemen sets. 3 TE sets. 7 Linemen, 2 TE sets. Crazy. Motion all over the place.

2) To all the "Alex Smith is only throwing for 125 yards" critics. Andrew Luck....16-21 169 yards and 2 TDs. How did they win by so much? They RAN for 400+ yards For all of the attention Luck gets, Stanford is a RUNNING team. Just ask Toby Gerhart.

3) I think the Niners will be looking at TE Coby Fleener in the draft next year.

4) I really like Andrew Luck, but part of me wonders if he is a product of his system and that he isn't the can't miss prospect he is billed to be. It seems to me that Harbaugh is the QB Whisperer and ALL of his QBs perform.

5) It also seems that Harbaugh is treating Kaepernick the same way he treated Luck. Harbaugh redshirted Luck his first year. Even if Smith struggles, I'd be really surprised to see Kaep start a game this year.

The fact that Luck has all the intangibles... really fricken smart (architectural engineer I believe is his degree) .. has a good arm, good feet, athletic, accurate...

I don't think numbers have anything to do with it. Its his skill set. In a college game surrounded by the spread offense and bloated statistics, he has experience in a pro-style system.

I think this is why everyone is getting a hardon for luck... nothing really to do with statistics.
Andrew Luck is what he's touted to be. The guy will be a star in the NFL unless he gets hurt.

What makes me really nervous is that more than likely the team drafting Luck will be firing their HC. Certainly a guy who knows Andrew well would be a big candidate - ie Roman.

Also worried about losing Fangio to a HC gig at the end of the season. Both guys have done a great job with the talent.

Originally posted by genus49:
Andrew Luck is what he's touted to be. The guy will be a star in the NFL unless he gets hurt.

What makes me really nervous is that more than likely the team drafting Luck will be firing their HC. Certainly a guy who knows Andrew well would be a big candidate - ie Roman.

Also worried about losing Fangio to a HC gig at the end of the season. Both guys have done a great job with the talent.

Roman has a lot to prove still and Fangio isnt going anywhere unless he retires remember Roman still has to go through Harbaugh for the play calls, its Harbaugh who gets the last say.
[ Edited by Natewillis2252 on Oct 24, 2011 at 11:45 AM ]
I think its probably true most succesful QBs are the result of the system they are in. The very good few QBs that are traded or leave via free agency have the kind of success they had with their formal teams. Couple of examples of this is Steve Young in Tampa Bay, didnt do well comes to the Niners and he is all-pro. Kurt Warner was great with the Rams and did little with the Jets (not sure if Jets was the team) but did great with the Cardinals.

Its a mistake if Kaepernick ever sees the field as a starter, ever. I'm not bashing you, I just do not think he will do good in this league.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Wow, great eye and analysis! Nice work Marv

Indeed!

Also, love that stat on Luck.

You're missing a couple things:

1. If you're going to compare Smiths stats to Lucks then Include ALL of them not just this past weekend. (99% of 9er fans would take Luck and quite a few other guys over Smith)

2. There are no University of Washingtons in the NFL so you can run for 400 and not have to pass.

3. It is said that Luck is the ONLY can't miss prospect since Elway.

4. Why would they look at Fleener in the draft? seems to me he would be a free agent pickup at most.

Just my 2cents
[ Edited by sdaddy101269 on Oct 24, 2011 at 12:31 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone