LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 253 users in the forums

University Of Miami Scandal

Apparently, Frank Gore was one of dozens of UM players who had contact with Ponzi schemer Nevin Shapiro.

http://sports.yahoo.com/investigations/news;_ylt=Aic6wnIFmVeXyJlF_4t1vkFRMuB_?slug=ys-frank_gore_allegations
Might have got something, but there have been no details concerning him in the articles published thus far.

Interesting story...the list of Miami (and other) players could be the core of a pretty good professional team.
more importantly were mike rumph or andrew williams paid while at the U?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Not a big deal it happens at most big time college programs.
Who cares? These guys should be allowed to make some coin on the side.
  • Tman
  • Veteran
Props to frank
  • Silky
  • Veteran
Watch your tongue! Frank Gore is a saint!
I had no idea Frank ever attended Michigan.
To watch these big time college programs make millions in ads, memorabilia, and bowl games, with the ADs making 7 figures, while a guy can't even trade a tattoo for a gear is hypocrisy of the highest order. These kids are all adults, over the age of 18 and should be able to get some kind of stipend beyond bare tuition.
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
To watch these big time college programs make millions in ads, memorabilia, and bowl games, with the ADs making 7 figures, while a guy can't even trade a tattoo for a gear is hypocrisy of the highest order. These kids are all adults, over the age of 18 and should be able to get some kind of stipend beyond bare tuition.

agree

if he did, good for him.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Money, gifts and prostitutes lol
So I wonder what Patrick Willis got for gifts while at Ole Miss.....

I'm sure most of you have already heard the allegations of a former Miami U booster, Nevin Shapiro (who is now serving time in prison).

The NCAA gave SMU the death penalty for far less violations. If the NCAA confirms these wild allegations (supposedly, players were even offered $5000 to severely injure Tim Tebow and Chris Rix!) should they implement the "death penalty "?
[ Edited by 49ERFANb4Uwas on Aug 17, 2011 at 4:22 AM ]
No. I don't think you will ever see the death penalty leveled on a program again. SMU still has not recovered from that, decades later.

Also it is debatable that SMU did "far less" than what is being described with regards to Miami. Certainly the sums are lower, but that was a long time ago, and sports bring in an incomparable level of money now. SMU was a habitual offender, and they were caught, warned and penalized multiple times before they got the ultimate hammer. They barely even tried to hide what they were doing and were absolutely flagrant.
Share 49ersWebzone