LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 274 users in the forums

Is D.Jeter the greatest Yankee of all time?

Originally posted by valrod33:
No
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
I love Jeter but no way in hell.
Originally posted by andes14:
Originally posted by Vernon85:
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
Good god no. I don't think there'd be a single team he'd be the best player of all time for (except maybe like the Expos and Rays who have barely been around...and even then, someone like Vladimir Guerrero is largely ignored just because he never played on those great teams like Jeter did), let alone the YANKEES.

Come on. I can't even take this seriously. Padres. Expos. Rays. Toronto. KC. Rockies. Arizona. etc.. Sorry and many more without even looking at it.
All-star for most of his career. 300+ career Avg. 3000 hit club. Shortstop and Captain for the hardest team to play for. Cool if you just hate him but don't be silly.

Tony Gwynn >> Derek Jeter

But the other teams have just been terrible forever or havent been alive long enough.

I get your point though

KC- George Brett...Rockies- Larry Walker and Todd Helton (and Troy Tulowitzki is well on his way)....Arizona- Randy Johnson....Blue Jays- Carlos Delgado....the one legit one is the Rays, and that's because they've barely been around (the only other teams you can even make an argument for also haven't been around very long)

I agree with all of them except Larry Walker and Delgado. Helton is arguable. Theyre great players but I think Jeter was better.

Tulowitzki can be great but hes only been in the league for 5 years

Larry Walker dominated way more than Jeter ever has. His '97 was arguably one of the top-3 single seasons ever, and Helton's '00-'01 was one of the very best 2 year stretches as well. Delgado had like 5 or 6 years in Toronto that were better than any year Jeter's ever had.

Andes i think your hate for the yankees and Jeter is clouding the argument. It's good to see other people come up with some names in the arguement but i don't give it much validation. Gwynn, Brett and Alomar seem like the same player as Jeter. It's just that Jeter has 5 championships and the Yankees weren't very good before he got there. As much as i love the Mattingly era, they didn't win. Walker and the other players named is laughable. Your naming guys that had great stints for 3 years or less. Jeter had at least 15 good if not great seasons. George Brett is the only guy i would possibly consider to but Jeter isn't done yet.
Good god no. I don't think there'd be a single team he'd be the best player of all time for (except maybe like the Expos and Rays who have barely been around...and even then, someone like Vladimir Guerrero is largely ignored just because he never played on those great teams like Jeter did), let alone the YANKEES.

Come on. I can't even take this seriously. Padres. Expos. Rays. Toronto. KC. Rockies. Arizona. etc.. Sorry and many more without even looking at it.
All-star for most of his career. 300+ career Avg. 3000 hit club. Shortstop and Captain for the hardest team to play for. Cool if you just hate him but don't be silly.

But the other teams have just been terrible forever or havent been alive long enough.

I get your point though

KC- George Brett...Rockies- Larry Walker and Todd Helton (and Troy Tulowitzki is well on his way)....Arizona- Randy Johnson....Blue Jays- Carlos Delgado....the one legit one is the Rays, and that's because they've barely been around (the only other teams you can even make an argument for also haven't been around very long)

I agree with all of them except Larry Walker and Delgado. Helton is arguable. Theyre great players but I think Jeter was better.

Larry Walker dominated way more than Jeter ever has. His '97 was arguably one of the top-3 single seasons ever, and Helton's '00-'01 was one of the very best 2 year stretches as well. Delgado had like 5 or 6 years in Toronto that were better than any year Jeter's ever had.

Andes i think your hate for the yankees and Jeter is clouding the argument. It's good to see other people come up with some names in the arguement but i don't give it much validation. Gwynn, Brett and Alomar seem like the same player as Jeter. It's just that Jeter has 5 championships and the Yankees weren't very good before he got there. As much as i love the Mattingly era, they didn't win. Walker and the other players named is laughable. Your naming guys that had great stints for 3 years or less. Jeter had at least 15 good if not great seasons. George Brett is the only guy i would possibly consider to but Jeter isn't done yet.

lol Tony Gwynn>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Derek Jeter.

Gwynn led the league in total hits 7 times, won 8 batting titles, career .388 OB%, and had a .338 career avg.

Jeter lead the league in total hits 1 time, won 0 batting titles, career .383 OB%, .313 career avg.

playoff stats make Jeters HOF case stronger, but you cant bring them up when comparing to other greats. Gwynn played for alot of bad teams.
Originally posted by Niners99:

I get your point though

lol Tony Gwynn>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Derek Jeter.

Gwynn led the league in total hits 7 times, won 8 batting titles, career .388 OB%, and had a .338 career avg.

Jeter lead the league in total hits 1 time, won 0 batting titles, career .383 OB%, .313 career avg.

playoff stats make Jeters HOF case stronger, but you cant bring them up when comparing to other greats. Gwynn played for alot of bad teams.

I live down in SD so i know how good Gwynn was. Wade Boggs had a similar career to Gwynn's with batting titles etc.. For me, and it's just my opinion, is that Jeter isn't done yet and he put the Yankees back on the map and was a big contribution to the Yankees 5 championships. Boggs played for great red sox teams and couldn't get it done and Gywnn's teams got there twice and couldn't get it done. Shortstop is just a harder position to play as well. when Gwynn first started he was slim and would rob homers over the wall, definately a good fielder. But it's hard where you place the championships and the "it" factor. Bottom line is we can say alot of different things about Jeter but they weren't very good before he got there and he got it done somehow.
He was never even the best player on his team....

Hell, he isn't even the best SS on his team the last 6-7 years
[ Edited by LundyLove on Jul 10, 2011 at 7:44 PM ]
Meh

Angels ( close with Carew)
Rangers
Indians ( position player anyway - Feller might be #1)
White Sox
Rays
Blue Jays
Diamondbacks
Rockies
Padres (close with Gywnn)
Astros
Mets ( position player. Seaver might be #1)
Marlins

Id say everyone of these teams you could easily argue that Jeter would at least be the best positon player ever for that franchise.
[ Edited by Ninerjohn on Jul 10, 2011 at 8:48 PM ]

I get your point though

You are absolutely nuts. Larry Walker and Todd Helton were better players than Jeter? LMAO. That was funny but then you went Carlos Delgado. You lost any possible credibility if you ever had any with that one.
He's not even the best Yankee on his team.

Originally posted by FamousAnus:

Of course he isnt in 2011. Wow. There is a revelation. He is close to the end of his career. Jeter isnt close to being the greatest Yankee of all time but I would say he is the greatest Yankee over the last 30 years.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by FamousAnus:

Of course he isnt in 2011. Wow. There is a revelation. He is close to the end of his career. Jeter isnt close to being the greatest Yankee of all time but I would say he is the greatest Yankee over the last 30 years.

Wow, indeed!
Most overrated player ever.

Really good player, yes.

Put him on the rangers for his career instead, and you NEVER hear of the guy.

Replace him with Michael Young, they are a better team.
Originally posted by skeetskeet:

Really good player, yes.

You really dont understand baseball do you.
Originally posted by skeetskeet:

Really good player, yes.

I assume that you are joking just to get a rise out of some of us. That and Michael Young is laughing at your comment.
Share 49ersWebzone