There are 136 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

NBA CBA Thread

no football, no basketball son of a b***h
Originally posted by Hopper:
I'm rooting for the owners. The Nba needs a hard cap in the worst way.

I don't feel bad for incompetent owners
Originally posted by blizzuntz:

Some of them are incompetent, but too many teams are losing money. The current system is broken and the parity just stinks under a soft cap.

Some of them are incompetent, but too many teams are losing money. The current system is broken and the parity just stinks under a soft cap.

I agree the soft cap is unfair to smaller teams

this!

I agree the soft cap is unfair to smaller teams

1) The current revenue split is 57/43 in favor of the players, which has been the case since the '99 lockout, IIRC. If the player salaries are a fixed percentage of revenue, why was that sustainable then, but not sustainable now. Wouldn't that suggest that OTHER costs have gone up? And if so, what are they doing about it?

2) I have serious doubts about how many teams are actually losing money. Read that Deadspin article to see some of the ridiculous accounting practices that are used.

3) The owners don't even have revenue sharing. It seems pretty unfair to ask the players to cover any of these "losses"...and I use that terms loosely...without any form of revenue sharing in the league.
  • Otter
  • Veteran
How the hell do they get to deduct depreciation on a player?
Originally posted by Otter:

Read page 11 of this paper. It explains it. Incredible tax shelter, and certainly helps you claim poverty while getting millions of tax free dollars into your bank account.

They get to claim 100% of the purchase price of the franchise split for 15 years, unchallenged. Unbelievable. You're more inclined toward these sorts of things, so let me know if this guys' info doesn't sound accurate.
[ Edited by LA9erFan on Jul 1, 2011 at 9:20 AM ]
Originally posted by LA9erFan:

Read page 11 of this paper. It explains it. Incredible tax shelter, and certainly helps you claim poverty while getting millions of tax free dollars into your bank account.

They get to claim 100% of the purchase price of the franchise split for 15 years, unchallenged. Unbelievable. You're more inclined toward these sorts of things, so let me know if this guys' info doesn't sound accurate.

you know a lot about stuff that ive never heard of before
  • Otter
  • Veteran

I need to read this a few more times. I don't see how this is consistent with other principles.

I take that back, it is consistent with billionaires/millionaires paying for and receiving tax breaks and shelters.
Originally posted by Harbaugh52:

you know a lot about stuff that ive never heard of before

Thanks, but not really...I'm just learning about it myself.
i dont feel bad for owners, they are the dumba$$'s that gave out the money, they should be held to it, not being a victim.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Every time I see a commercial for the WNBA, I can't help but wonder how much NBA owners lose every year by subsidizing it.
supposed to be a worse situation than the nfl cba