There are 186 users in the forums

NBA CBA Thread

Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Every time I see a commercial for the WNBA, I can't help but wonder how much NBA owners lose every year by subsidizing it.

If I was an NBA player, I'd be pissed at those broads stealing my money.
Originally posted by FamousAnus:
Every time I see a commercial for the WNBA, I can't help but wonder how much NBA owners lose every year by subsidizing it.

you have a lot of posts
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Harbaugh52:
Originally posted by FamousAnus:

you have a lot of posts

2 million post per day, thats dam near Jrg level
Do you think there will ever be a real interest in the WNBA? I mean I watch womens Tennis and soccer because they are hot, WNBA chicks look like they on testosterone.
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Do you think there will ever be a real interest in the WNBA? I mean I watch womens Tennis and soccer because they are hot, WNBA chicks look like they on testosterone.

No, there never will be. It's like trying to tell a CRT tv.
Interesting what happens now

Will players just go over seas to make $$$$
Originally posted by Otter:
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Momma says alligators are awry cause they got all them teeth and no toothbrush.

WNBA is funded by the NBA.

Yep. It's funded by the same NBA that's claiming that it's broke and has to drastically decrease player salaries despite the fact that they're raking in record revenue. So what's their claim? They can't control their non-payroll costs. Gee...like an entire league like the WNBA that can't support itself?

/minirant

They do need to change the structure of their labor deal. I really liked Bill Simmons write up of it. The NBA I mean.

(don't wanna further hijack susweel's thread)

I agree (and that was an excellent write up by Simmons), but not nearly as drastically as the owners are proposing. The player's cut of the revenue is fixed at 57%. It was 57% in the '99 CBA & 57% in the '05 CBA.

Why was it sustainable and agreeable then, but now they're losing money hand over fist? It's not the revenue stream...that's the highest it's ever been and has increased every year. So what exactly are these expenses that have taken this deal from profitable (the owners were perceived to have won the '99 CBA negotiations) to as utterly dire as the league claims it is now?

I think they owe the players an explanation of that, personally.
womp womp

Yep. It's funded by the same NBA that's claiming that it's broke and has to drastically decrease player salaries despite the fact that they're raking in record revenue. So what's their claim? They can't control their non-payroll costs. Gee...like an entire league like the WNBA that can't support itself?

/minirant

They do need to change the structure of their labor deal. I really liked Bill Simmons write up of it. The NBA I mean.

I agree (and that was an excellent write up by Simmons), but not nearly as drastically as the owners are proposing. The player's cut of the revenue is fixed at 57%. It was 57% in the '99 CBA & 57% in the '05 CBA.

Why was it sustainable and agreeable then, but now they're losing money hand over fist? It's not the revenue stream...that's the highest it's ever been and has increased every year. So what exactly are these expenses that have taken this deal from profitable (the owners were perceived to have won the '99 CBA negotiations) to as utterly dire as the league claims it is now?

Trimming the continuously growing horns off David Stern isn't as cheap as it may seem.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran

/minirant

LA,

I admit that I don't know jack about the current CBA problems with the NBA. But isn't this really the fault of the owners handing out large contracts to bad players? Stop making those deals, and you'll have more money.

I miss the NBA. I miss my Kings and Warriors playing.
Originally posted by GEEK:

/minirant

LA,

I admit that I don't know jack about the current CBA problems with the NBA. But isn't this really the fault of the owners handing out large contracts to bad players? Stop making those deals, and you'll have more money.

I thought that too until very recently.

Player salaries are fixed at 57% of revenue. A percentage of each player's paycheck is held in an escrow account, and after the year is over the league determines how much money they made in revenue, and the funds in the escrow account are either given to the owners if the player salaries that year exceeded 57%, or back to the players if they fell below that figure.

So ultimately, the wild contracts they'e been giving out don't really matter in terms of their cash flow, because it's a fixed percentage. But being that revenue's increased tremendously since the 57% rule was implemented in '99, I think it's hard for the owners to cry poor because the player's portion of the pie is too big, IMO.

What changed?
hopefully the nba cancels the next 3 seasons
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

Yeah, good one.

• Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

Yeah, good one.

at that gif.