LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 264 users in the forums

NBA CBA Thread

So we all know about the NFL's CBA problems but what about the NBA? From what I hear this could get alot uglier then the NFL lockout which they cannot afford to happen. Its a shame because the NBA has not been this popular since Jordan retired, like it or not you have to thank the Miami Heat for that. What are the issues and how can they get resolved? discuss

[ Edited by AJ_Larrea954 on Jun 17, 2011 at 11:29:48 ]
Originally posted by AJ_Larrea954:
So we all know about the NFL's CBA problems but what about the NBA? From what I hear this could alot uglier then the NFL lockout which they cannot afford to happen. Its a shame because the NBA has not been this popular since Jordan retired, like it or not you have to thank the Miami Heat for that. What are the issues and how can they get resolved? discuss

I don't know about all that. The NBA Finals ratings were down this year compared to Lakers/Boston. The ratings were up across the board in the playoffs. Miami helped, no doubt, but they're not the single reason that ratings were up.

[ Edited by LA9erFan on Jun 17, 2011 at 11:28:24 ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Games will be missed.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
So we all know about the NFL's CBA problems but what about the NBA? From what I hear this could alot uglier then the NFL lockout which they cannot afford to happen. Its a shame because the NBA has not been this popular since Jordan retired, like it or not you have to thank the Miami Heat for that. What are the issues and how can they get resolved? discuss

I don't know about all that. The NBA Finals ratings were down this year compared to Lakers/Boston. The ratings were up across the board in the playoffs. Miami helped, no doubt, but they're not the single reason that ratings were up.

Yeah the Finals kind of sucked. More credit should go to Memphis, New Orleans, Atlanta, Dallas, Oklahoma City IMO.
Originally posted by 9erReign:

Yeah the Finals kind of sucked. More credit should go to Memphis, New Orleans, Atlanta, Dallas, Oklahoma City IMO.

Yeah, I think the appeal of this year's playoffs was a higher level of unpredictability than there's been in a few years. Throw a good villain in there (Miami), and you had a very entertaining playoff run.
I liked last years finals, but this years felt personal, the hate for the heat made me enjoy every dallas victory.

It would have been more entertaining if Memphis or OKC made it though, memphis was playing hard and with passion... And seeing OKC and all their offense go up against LEbrick and wade would have been awesome.
Originally posted by 9erReign:

The finals sucked? Are you serious? Did you watch any of the games. This finals was one of the best I have seen in years. I am not a huge basketball fan but what I saw was really really entertaining and fun.

where did you get that from? everywhere i've seen had the ratings for this year way up compared to last year's finals.

on this topic. Is there a date set where the owners will lock out players after the draft?
Originally posted by lamontb:

where did you get that from? everywhere i've seen had the ratings for this year way up compared to last year's finals.

on this topic. Is there a date set where the owners will lock out players after the draft?

July 1st
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
I liked last years finals, but this years felt personal, the hate for the heat made me enjoy every dallas victory.

It would have been more entertaining if Memphis or OKC made it though, memphis was playing hard and with passion... And seeing OKC and all their offense go up against LEbrick and wade would have been awesome.

LOL heat would of crushed okc or memphis. Dallas was the worst match up they could of had. And they still could of won that series if they didn't choke in game 2 and/or game 4

• 4ML
  • Veteran
Guaranteed contracts are here to stay

In a somewhat conciliatory gesture, NBA owners relaxed their stance on guaranteed contracts Friday during the latest round of collective bargaining negotiations to replace the labor agreement that expires at the end of this month.

[ Edited by 49ersMyLife on Jun 17, 2011 at 18:12:11 ]
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:

In a somewhat conciliatory gesture, NBA owners relaxed their stance on guaranteed contracts Friday during the latest round of collective bargaining negotiations to replace the labor agreement that expires at the end of this month.

That's funny, that's one of the few things that I agreed with the owners on.
Originally posted by lamontb:

It depends how you look at it.

Ratings were slightly down from last year, but if you just look at games 1-6 on average the ratings were slightly up.

Game 7 of LA Boston drew 28 million viewers. That's MJ numbers. Either way his point remains true. The NBA has been trending upwards before the Heatles arrived.
Larry Coon's perspective...

People I've talked to have told me they'd rather lose a year than continue playing in a broken system. I take them at their word on this.

I think they know full well that the longer this goes (especially when they start missing paychecks on November 15), the better the deal they're going to be able to wrest from the players. So there's no reason to start horse trading now. I think they have two positions in mind -- right now they're at what I'll call Point A, which is their opening position. I'll call Point B their bottom-line, best offer. I think they already know exactly what Point B is. Here is what I think is their timeline:

Now through Nov 15: Stick to Point A, with the only thing they negotiate on is a grace period to implement the necessary changes. If the players agree, then we have a CBA. If not, then they continue to wait.

Nov 15 through mid-Jan: Negotiation starts in earnest. They will give up more, but will not go past Point B. Again, if they agree, we have a deal. If not, then they still wait.

Mid-Jan: There will be a specific date on which they decide to cancel the season entirely. Point B becomes their "take it or leave it" offer. If they don't take it, then they cancel the season.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:

That's funny, that's one of the few things that I agreed with the owners on.

Yea, I'm surprised they gave up on this. I'm guessing, this was somethin' they figured players will never agree upon. Still, they shouldn't have taken if off the table.

I despise guaranteed contracts. At least what they could have done is, each team is allowed to have only 5 such contracts or somethin' like that.
Share 49ersWebzone