Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Shaq retires

• TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crzy:
Originally posted by TX9R:
Originally posted by dobo:
Hakeem's greatness is greatly exaggerated in retrospect, thanks to his brief reign of invincibility and his youtube-friendly dream shake.

Totally disagree, if anything he's underrated due to his personality. I would contend that at the end of games when it mattered most he was just as reliable, if not moreso than MJ for about a 5 year period. He just wasn't near as flashy.

You're both wrong.

Hakeem is properly rated. I don't think anyone consideres him the same tier as Wilt or Russell or Kareem.

But he's in that next, second tier, of great centers.

However, if Jordan didn't retire, Hakeem would have 0 rings.

I will never agree with that about the rings. Jordan was eliminated by the team Houston swept in 95. He was still great but the team around him was not.
As far as Hakeem being up there with the greats, I don't see why you can't put him there. He was unstoppable offensively and is the all time leader in blocked shots. People forget about defense and he is arguably the greatest ever in that catagory.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by TX9R:
Originally posted by dobo:
Actually, this has got me thinking. Is there a fanbase that has had as adversarial relationship with Shaq as San Antonio?

San Antonio LOVED him when he was in high school and even at LSU. Then he came into San Antonio as a pro and started smack talking the Admiral. Then he joined the Lakers -- the Lakers! -- and started smack talking Duncan and called the Spurs a WNBA team.

In many ways, Robinson was the perfect foil for Shaq. One, he was a boring, God-fearing, all-around nice guy. Two, he was an established superstar, arguably the best center in the league when Shaq joined the league. Three, his style was the opposite of Shaq's. Robinson was a slender, face-the-basket, athletic freak who had decent range. Shaq was a more traditional big; he lived in the post and just physically dominated his opponents on both ends.

Aguably the 2nd best maybe. Hakeem owned him, especially when it mattered most. I like DRob, but he didn't win anything until TD came to town.

I agree, Hakeem was a better player. I honestly believe Tim Duncan, in his prime, would give Hakeem some trouble...but Tim Duncan is a "SF".

Dobo, I think Shaq's animosity towards Robinson was about an issue when Shaq was younger and Robinson denied him an autograph. I remember hearing about something like that.

On another note, am I the only one who believes Tim Duncan should be a top 5 player EVER? Has there been any other play to win multiple championships without a superstar #2? Don't get me wrong, D. Robinson was a top 50 ever but was not the same player during the Spurs 1st championship. Also, how about Tim Duncan's 3rd and 4th rings. He is the only player I can think of to win multiple rings without a dominant sidekick that requires a double-team.

I think it's definitely possible. Duncan has an extremely unique resume. No one outside of perhaps Hakeem in '94 won a title with a supporting cast as weak as Timmy's in '03. His 2 year stretch in the 01-02 and 02-03 seasons was arguably the best 2 year stretch ever, especially for a big. I think there were at least 3 years where Duncan was the best player in the league, something VERY few players can say has been the case with them. He is one of the best, if not THE best defensive players of all time, and he did it without fouling (tragedy that he will finish his career without a defensive player of the year award). That, coupled with his consistent ability to drop 22-25 on any given night on better than 50% shooting, grab 12+ boards, block 2.5+ shots, dish 3.5+ dimes, etc. without any glaring weaknesses (he was never a TERRIBLE free throw shooter and even shot 80% in one of his MVP years) may deserve him to be placed amongst the Jordans, Wilts, and Magics.
[ Edited by andes14 on Jun 2, 2011 at 2:03 PM ]
I wouldn't have a problem with someone listing Duncan as one of the Top 5 players of all time. He wasn't quite as dominant on the offensive end as most of the other guys that are often mentioned, but he had a tremendous defensive impact on the game, which can't be said about Magic or Bird. He was also a consistently superb rebounder.

I think Magic and Bird get a bit of a pass in the "all-time greatest" discussions because their games were so aesthetically pleasing and because they were so dominant on the offensive end. Their defense gets kinda skimmed over.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
I wouldn't have a problem with someone listing Duncan as one of the Top 5 players of all time. He wasn't quite as dominant on the offensive end as most of the other guys that are often mentioned, but he had a tremendous defensive impact on the game, which can't be said about Magic or Bird. He was also a consistently superb rebounder.

I think Magic and Bird get a bit of a pass in the "all-time greatest" discussions because their games were so aesthetically pleasing and because they were so dominant on the offensive end. Their defense gets kinda skimmed over.

And because their "feud" made for great headlines.
Originally posted by TheSixthRing:

That whole thing was so Hollywood that it almost seemed scripted.

Black dude from the city vs. white dude from the sticks...

Black dude ends up in LA, white dude ends up in Boston...

Black dude dominates with a flashy game, white dude dominates with earthbound jumpers and fundamentals...

That whole thing was so Hollywood that it almost seemed scripted.

Black dude from the city vs. white dude from the sticks...

Black dude ends up in LA, white dude ends up in Boston...

Black dude dominates with a flashy game, white dude dominates with earthbound jumpers and fundamentals...

What is Shaq gonna look like in 5 years when he doesn't have to pretend to stay in basketball shape?

Sometimes I wonder if Lebron, Wade, or even Kobe could win a championship with a guy like Rasho Nesteravic (spelling), or could Shaq ever win a title with a guy like Manu? Manu could score points but he wasn't really considered a "closer" in the sense of Wade or Kobe.
Shaq made over $292M in salary alone over his career. That is crazy.
  • crzy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erReign:

That's like half of Arod lol

So far Arod is at $264M. But yeah he has a lot more to earn until 2017. But over a 1/4 billion for basketball is impressive. Of course baseball players can make more. That is why if you have a choice as an athlete you go #1) baseball, #2) basketball, #3 football.

Probably twice that in endorsements too.
  • crzy
  • Veteran

So far Arod is at $264M. But yeah he has a lot more to earn until 2017. But over a 1/4 billion for basketball is impressive. Of course baseball players can make more. That is why if you have a choice as an athlete you go #1) baseball, #2) basketball, #3 football.

And the strongest union too.
Originally posted by footballxpaul:
Originally posted by sacniner:
I'm 28 years old and I remember being in 5th grade when Shaq was a rookie... Thanks for all the memories. Long and storied career. Still can't believe the C's record with Shaq this last year... I think it was 21-4 or something like that.

See you on TV soon.

I bet Shaq would be f**kin' awesome on TV. The next Charles Barkley.

chuck and shaq would be must see tv. Dump kenny and his stupid tv board and get shaq in there

You want to break up the Beatles, Yoko?

Kenny is an integral part in the magic of EJ, Kenny and Charles.

Seriously bad idea. And Shaq won't be anything like Chuck. Chuck is hilarious cause he don't give a f**k. Shaq tries too hard to be funny.

NBA should try a sideline reporter along the lines of Siragusa. I could see Shaq pulling that off. Have him sit under the hoop and give real insight from a player who used to play.

no one is expecting shaq to be anything like chuck, that would be weird. But their personalities together would be a funny dynamic.