LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 183 users in the forums

Shaq retires

Originally posted by LA9erFan:
I wouldn't have a problem with someone listing Duncan as one of the Top 5 players of all time. He wasn't quite as dominant on the offensive end as most of the other guys that are often mentioned, but he had a tremendous defensive impact on the game, which can't be said about Magic or Bird. He was also a consistently superb rebounder.

I think Magic and Bird get a bit of a pass in the "all-time greatest" discussions because their games were so aesthetically pleasing and because they were so dominant on the offensive end. Their defense gets kinda skimmed over.

And because their "feud" made for great headlines.
Originally posted by TheSixthRing:
I wouldn't have a problem with someone listing Duncan as one of the Top 5 players of all time. He wasn't quite as dominant on the offensive end as most of the other guys that are often mentioned, but he had a tremendous defensive impact on the game, which can't be said about Magic or Bird. He was also a consistently superb rebounder.

I think Magic and Bird get a bit of a pass in the "all-time greatest" discussions because their games were so aesthetically pleasing and because they were so dominant on the offensive end. Their defense gets kinda skimmed over.

That whole thing was so Hollywood that it almost seemed scripted.

Black dude from the city vs. white dude from the sticks...

Black dude ends up in LA, white dude ends up in Boston...

Black dude dominates with a flashy game, white dude dominates with earthbound jumpers and fundamentals...

That whole thing was so Hollywood that it almost seemed scripted.

Black dude from the city vs. white dude from the sticks...

Black dude ends up in LA, white dude ends up in Boston...

Black dude dominates with a flashy game, white dude dominates with earthbound jumpers and fundamentals...

What is Shaq gonna look like in 5 years when he doesn't have to pretend to stay in basketball shape?

Sometimes I wonder if Lebron, Wade, or even Kobe could win a championship with a guy like Rasho Nesteravic (spelling), or could Shaq ever win a title with a guy like Manu? Manu could score points but he wasn't really considered a "closer" in the sense of Wade or Kobe.
Shaq made over $292M in salary alone over his career. That is crazy.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 9erReign:

That's like half of Arod lol
Originally posted by crzy:

So far Arod is at $264M. But yeah he has a lot more to earn until 2017. But over a 1/4 billion for basketball is impressive. Of course baseball players can make more. That is why if you have a choice as an athlete you go #1) baseball, #2) basketball, #3 football.

Probably twice that in endorsements too.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by crzy:

So far Arod is at $264M. But yeah he has a lot more to earn until 2017. But over a 1/4 billion for basketball is impressive. Of course baseball players can make more. That is why if you have a choice as an athlete you go #1) baseball, #2) basketball, #3 football.

And the strongest union too.

Originally posted by footballxpaul:
Originally posted by sacniner:
I'm 28 years old and I remember being in 5th grade when Shaq was a rookie... Thanks for all the memories. Long and storied career. Still can't believe the C's record with Shaq this last year... I think it was 21-4 or something like that.

See you on TV soon.

I bet Shaq would be f**kin' awesome on TV. The next Charles Barkley.

chuck and shaq would be must see tv. Dump kenny and his stupid tv board and get shaq in there

You want to break up the Beatles, Yoko?

Kenny is an integral part in the magic of EJ, Kenny and Charles.

Seriously bad idea. And Shaq won't be anything like Chuck. Chuck is hilarious cause he don't give a f**k. Shaq tries too hard to be funny.

NBA should try a sideline reporter along the lines of Siragusa. I could see Shaq pulling that off. Have him sit under the hoop and give real insight from a player who used to play.

no one is expecting shaq to be anything like chuck, that would be weird. But their personalities together would be a funny dynamic.
Ya, I could see Shaq teaching Ernie Johnson how to Dougie or something like that.
Ya, I could see Shaq teaching Ernie Johnson how to Dougie or something like that.

EJ, Kinny, Chuck + Webber/McHale/Magic/Other co-host is already perfect. Shaq will do something great on TV but that cast is already set.

EJ, Kinny, Chuck + Webber/McHale/Magic/Other co-host is already perfect. Shaq will do something great on TV but that cast is already set.

Shaq should continue with the show that he stole from Nash
on espn live at the moment talking about perhaps OWNING a football team in L.A
Share 49ersWebzone