There are 251 users in the forums

Shaq retires

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Is Shaq a Niners fan ??

Only two football player jerseys are Niners player.

Framed jerseys from the likes of Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Wayne Gretzky, Mark McGwire, Kirby Puckett, Steve Young and Jerry Rice. An NBA Finals MVP trophy. Bottles of wine with labels bearing the "S" logo that he borrowed from Superman and essentially made his own. Basketballs with the Miami Heat logos painted on them, one to commemorate his 25,000th point, the other for his 10,000th rebound. A photo of him, Bill Russell and John Wooden.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6622805
Originally posted by dobo:
Quote:
One of the game's greatest centers considers Kareem Abdul-Jabbar to be the best to play the position. And, excluding himself from the conversation, he considers Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlain, Hakeem Olajuwon and David Robinson to be the top five centers of all time.

"Just to have my name mentioned next to those guys is a blessing," O'Neal said.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6622124

I'd say Shaq, Kareem, and Wilt are the unquestioned top 3.

I question that. You'd have to throw Bill Russell in there.
Kareem thinks Russell was the GOAT. I don't know. Russell and Chamberlain are hard to judge. If you put early 60s Russell and Chamberlain into a time machine and sent them to 2011, how would they fare?

I know, I just undermined my own view that Chamberlain is a top 3 center.

Lol. See that's why it's hard to judge. Wilt and Bill were about the only dominant big man of that era. But just think of it, we turn on SportsCenter this season and Kevin Love was getting alot of attention for his "double digit rebound streak". But it didn't pretain to Wilt and Bills day, it was a streak started after they'd retired. It's like when it's a big deal when Dwight Howard grabs 20 rebounds in a game. Bill Russell averaged 22.5 rebounds in his career. That's insane stats. 51 in one game. 2nd only to Wilt's 55. Russell was not as dominant a scorer as Wilt. But he wasn't the offense's main focus either. Wilt/Russell are the reason the "Block" is a stat now. Their's been reports both would averaged 5+ blocks a game for their careers. Their stats are crazy.

Now I don't know how they'd do in this era. I don't think we can say their were 3 tops Centers ever. IMO you can only go to 5: George Mikan, Wilt, Russell, Kareem, and Shaq.
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Kareem thinks Russell was the GOAT. I don't know. Russell and Chamberlain are hard to judge. If you put early 60s Russell and Chamberlain into a time machine and sent them to 2011, how would they fare?

Lol. See that's why it's hard to judge. Wilt and Bill were about the only dominant big man of that era. But just think of it, we turn on SportsCenter this season and Kevin Love was getting alot of attention for his "double digit rebound streak". But it didn't pretain to Wilt and Bills day, it was a streak started after they'd retired. It's like when it's a big deal when Dwight Howard grabs 20 rebounds in a game. Bill Russell averaged 22.5 rebounds in his career. That's insane stats. 51 in one game. 2nd only to Wilt's 55. Russell was not as dominant a scorer as Wilt. But he wasn't the offense's main focus either. Wilt/Russell are the reason the "Block" is a stat now. Their's been reports both would averaged 5+ blocks a game for their careers. Their stats are crazy.

Now I don't know how they'd do in this era. I don't think we can say their were 3 tops Centers ever. IMO you can only go to 5: George Mikan, Wilt, Russell, Kareem, and Shaq.

Hakeem>>Mikan
  • BobS
  • Veteran

Russel might have fallen of a little because of size, 6'9" 215, but he had incredible leaping ability. Wilt was 7'1" 275+ and was rumored he could grab the top of the back board. While Russell would be power forward size today Wilt would still be large even for a center. Wilt until he got old was very agile and athletic for a man his size, except for his free throw shooting where I think he dented a few rims and cracked a few back boards. I would like to get a time machine and see Shaq and Wilt go at it, in his prime he was triple teamed quite a bit and still was very productive.
Originally posted by crzy:
Hakeem was unquestionably better than Shaq in 95, but it's debateable who had a better career.

I agree. It's also not really fair to compare Shaq in 95 to Hakeem. Shaq from 2000 vs. Hakeem from 1995 would be interesting.
Shaq is a p***y song.

LOL!

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2011/06/06/audio-a-rise-guys-original-shaq-is-a/
I feel old as siht watching him retire
He can't fit in just one thread...

no room

someone's gotta make a part 2

But seriously congrats to the Diesel for his 19 seasons of NBA and shattering backboards, missing free throws, dunking on everyone (including his teammates), cussing on live television, having fun with the media, and missing more free throws.

There will be no other NBA player who plays Scrabble the way he does, looks as dumbfounded (younger days) as he did, and be as funny nor as dominant as the Diesel.

He will be missed and I hope after a little while, he becomes Dr. O'neal, as he'd mentioned in his retirement conference.
  • Otter
  • Veteran
I would get up and leave if Dr Shaq walked in and introduced himself as my physician.

Every time I've heard him speak, he seems to mumble, I'm not sure he'd make a good announcer, ala Barkley.

Originally posted by Otter:
I would get up and leave if Dr Shaq walked in and introduced himself as my physician.

Every time I've heard him speak, he seems to mumble, I'm not sure he'd make a good announcer, ala Barkley.

He's only hard to understand when he's angry.

So....

don't make him angry

Besides, whats the WORST that could happen? Lol
http://www.tout.com/m/ah4r2d

LMFAO

''Taylor Swifts' biggest fan.''
I hope Shaq takes Mark Jacksons announcing spot, since he will be coaching golden state next year.
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
I hope Shaq takes Mark Jacksons announcing spot, since he will be coaching golden state next year.

That would be worse than Bill Walton.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by unst4bl3:

That would be worse than Bill Walton.

no commentating.. he belongs on TNT talking trash with charles.. that would be good TV
Share 49ersWebzone