There are 240 users in the forums

Report: Jim Tressel resigns

• BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by aman49:
The sad thing is people are dumb enough to believe every school isn't doing this.

The Spygate thing a few years back really exposed sports fans' ignorance to reality.

Some are just better at not getting caught.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
The sad thing is people are dumb enough to believe every school isn't doing this.

The Spygate thing a few years back really exposed sports fans' ignorance to reality.

I believe that every school bends the rules to try and gain any advantage. I don't believe that every school lets their player partake in illegal activities then lies to try and cover it up.

"This" is way beyond bending the NCAA rules most of which are pretty stupid. "This" is breaking State and Federal laws that the State and Fed's don't look kindly upon.

It was said by the espn dude if this was 10 scrub players Tressel would have kicked the players off the team and it would have been taken care of long ago. Being it was his golden boy and other starters that helped him win he lied.

Kinda sad a good football coach could be so stupid.

Someone's grumpy
  • BobS
  • Veteran
The annoying thing about Tressel is how he preached all these Christian beliefs and recited scripture, while being a lying, deceitful, piece of trash.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BobS:
The annoying thing about Tressel is how he preached all these Christian beliefs and recited scripture, while being a lying, deceitful, piece of trash.

Isn't that what about 98% of those types do? And while I'm sure this type of thing goes on at most top programs the difference is that the majority punish the players when they learn about it, not lie and ignore it. OU kicked it's starting QB out of school a few seasons ago for pretty much the exact same thing with the cars and the program didn't miss a beat. Had Tressel responded the same OSU wouldn't have either. Now they're up s**t creek, but the big10 is so lousy I think over the long haul they'll be fine.
Pryor is an idiot. The cause of this. Driving around in fancy sports cars with a suspended license no less. And selling memorabilia for things...
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Pryor is an idiot. The cause of this. Driving around in fancy sports cars with a suspended license no less. And selling memorabilia for things...

Not sure who was more dumb...Pryor for his actions or Tressel for trying to lie about them.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

Not sure who was more dumb...Pryor for his actions or Tressel for trying to lie about them.

Def Tressel, he's a grown ass man and should know better. IF I was a kid and someone was handing me cars I'd take them too. You don't think at that age. Tressel has no excuse.

He's driving around in fancy sports cars he obviously can't afford as a college student and he doesn't even have a valid license... This is after all the publicity. Obviously he doesn't care.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Jun 1, 2011 at 2:36 PM ]
Originally posted by pantstickle:

Someone's grumpy

Eh... I think OSU is better off in the long run. Tressel was too conservative and CFB, like the NFL, is starting to become all about offense.

I've said the same thing on this board before regarding other teams (USC, etc). One of my old roommates played football for Arizona, and he flat out told me 1)players get paid, by boosters 2) players have their schoolwork done for them 3) most players are on roids.

• 4ML
  • Veteran

Someone's grumpy

Eh... I think OSU is better off in the long run. Tressel was too conservative and CFB, like the NFL, is starting to become all about offense.

I've said the same thing on this board before regarding other teams (USC, etc). One of my old roommates played football for Arizona, and he flat out told me 1)players get paid, by boosters 2) players have their schoolwork done for them 3) most players are on roids.

I tried out for the Cal team...and lived with some of them, and knew several players really really well. I've to say, that's not true at all - at least not at Cal, I can't speak for other schools. I can only recall handful of players doing this kind of stuff.

But, then again...you're talkin' about Arizona University.
[ Edited by 49ersMyLife on Jun 3, 2011 at 1:28 AM ]
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:

Someone's grumpy

I tried out for the Cal team...and lived with some of them, and knew several players really really well. I've to say, that's not true at all - at least not at Cal, I can't speak for other schools. I can only recall handful of players doing this kind of stuff.

Have you seen the 30 for 30 on SMU? That documentary basically validated everything regarding player benefits my old roommate had ever told me.

It's not forced upon you as a major D1 athlete. But its always available.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:

Someone's grumpy

Have you seen the 30 for 30 on SMU? That documentary basically validated everything regarding player benefits my old roommate had ever told me.

It's not forced upon you as a major D1 athlete. But its always available.

I've not, but it may not be the case at every program. I think, because Cal and some of the universities can't recruit any player (players have to meet higher education standards than other schools) the culture may be a little different.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but a coach and his staff can really make a difference in my opinion. I remember several coaches on the very first day telling us - "you're here not only to become the best football player you can, but also to become the best man you can. 1 play can end your career, hopes, and dreams - so make sure you do enough in your classes to have something to fall back on."

I was there for a short time, so who knows. I do know the players I was friends with, and lived with, were equally focused in their classes.

I don't know, just tellin' you what I saw. A lot of it comes down to how important football is and the coaching staff and what they are lookin' for when they recruit. If it's the most important thing on campus, then coaches are under pressure and the management above them is too, and they let it slide. I was at Cal from 2003-2006, and I can tell you - even though we loved our football...we loved our trees more. People didn't let them cut down some trees because Cal wanted to build a new locker-room for the players, and a LOT of student body supported the ppl who were living in the trees during those years.

It's the same in NFL. Some teams will draft/sign players who have broken laws multiple times, and some teams won't. I don't think one can say, all locker rooms are pretty much the same.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TX9R:

Def Tressel, he's a grown ass man and should know better. IF I was a kid and someone was handing me cars I'd take them too. You don't think at that age. Tressel has no excuse.

Pryor is 21. At 21 you can think. It was merely an immature and irresponsible decision which a lot of young men and women at that age make.

Tressel does have an excuse. It's called his job security. Which is why he chose to not suspend the guilty players from the BCS Bowl game...he knew he needed to win that game.

Sure they won the conference 6 years in a row but he was 2-3 in Bowl games in that stretch (all were BCS Bowls at that and 2 were NCG's), so a loss to Arkansas would have put him at 2-4 (with all 4 losses coming to SEC teams had that happened) and the seat under his ass would begin to get really warm.
AdamSchefter Adam Schefter
Colts hired former Ohio St HC Jim Tressel as gameday asst coach. He'll sit upstairs in coaches booth, help out on instant replay challenges.
Share 49ersWebzone