LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 220 users in the forums

Buster Posey Out for the year

Originally posted by jimrat201:
Originally posted by ninerbrand:
Originally posted by DaManRathman:
Here is my take on this whole thing:

I consider myself a baseball purist. I love the history and traditions of the game. I loved the game when I played it, and I love it as a fan. The play was completely in the rules of the game, clean play all the way.

However, I have never been a fan of being able to run over the catcher. I think of the cather as fairly defenseless in that situation, even with the gear. To me, it's just an injury waiting to happen, for both the catcher and baserunner involved in these collisions. I have always felt it's a play that doesn't really mesh with the rest of the game. That's just how I have always felt, before and after the Posey incident. I think it's safe to say everyone wants the players to stay healthy, and everyone wants the stars of the game to be on the field. To me, this rule just kind of spits in the face of that notion.

That being said, I do think MLB will take a look at this, but I doubt they make a change. I hope they do, so young talents like Posey, McCann, Santana and so forth can hopefully avoid injuries of this nature in what is already a very physically demanding position. Also the runners as well.

Either way, I'll never stop being a fan of the game.

If your going to change the rule @ home plate, you have to change the rule @ 2nd base with taking out the thrower on a DP

Little different when your sliding into a player then bowling over a catcher.......don't ya think
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

worst nightmare! I hope Cousins gets herpes!!!

Like Damon Bruce just said....I am tired of professional sports changing rules because of freak injuries.
clean play tough injury...hopefully he can recover and be back for the start of next year
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by SportsFan:
Originally posted by ninerbrand:
They need to revamp the bowling over the catcher rule, if you can run over a catcher, why not run over the SS/2nd basemen on double plays....................venting

... its a part of baseball.
99% of the time the catcher is not going to break his leg on a collision at home plate

I think it is a bulls**t play. He didn't have to run Posey here as he had a clear lane to hook slide. A little cheap in my opinion.

True had an open plate but chose to crush him.............someone gonna get beaned tonight.

I doubt Cousins will see the field for this last game and the Giants arent going to "bean" an innocent player. It would be a stupid thing to do.

I told you the Giants wouldnt bean anyone. Too much class to do something as stupid as that!
I just can't drop Posey from my fantasy team...
[ Edited by YungAce on May 26, 2011 at 3:47 PM ]
AmyGGiants Amy Gutierrez
Buster had 3 MRI's, ankle, lower leg & knee...knee is fine, fractured fibia & torn ligaments in ankle. #sfgiants

SF_Giants San Francisco Giants
REJOICE! RT @amyggiants Bochy says based on what he's been briefed on Posey's MRI, he thinks Buster will be back this season. #SFGiants
Originally posted by YungAce:

I would put him on the DL but I already have Ryan Zimmerman and Brain Matusz on there
  • jimrat
  • Veteran

Me either, had to pick up some shmuck to replace him.
I wanna see Buster crane kick Cousins in the face.

If he comes back it may be in September or late August if we are extremely lucky.

Unless you are in a keeper league its time to cut him loose.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

Unless you are in a keeper league its time to cut him loose.

Foreveerrrrrrrrr
People are saying it was clean. But it seems slightly dirty to me for 2 reason. 1) Posey wasn't even blocking the plate. If he had his leg blocking the plate, then sure lower your shoulder and see who wins the battle. But he was off the plate and completely giving home up for the slide. 2) Maybe the runner didn't see but Posey didn't even catch the ball. Runner was definitely looking at Posey and I would assume saw that, so no reason to deck a dude that has no chance at making a play. He gave you home and didn't even catch the ball, maybe just maybe you are safe to slide in.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Hey guys! I just made a post on my blog about Home Plate Collisions and the Giants moving forward this season. Check it out and let me know what you guys think.

My Sports Blog
Share 49ersWebzone