LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 309 users in the forums

Is forcing job seekers to go through a draft illegal?

Are college athletes required to go through a draft for the NBA and NFL prior to being able to sign as a free agent? Isn't that illegal? I mean what if a top ranked senior doesn't want to enter the draft and waits until free agency. Why can't he decide for himself to go to the highest bidder?
The Draft is awesome i would hate for them to get rid of the draft
Originally posted by valrod33:

That's cuz your team always sucks.
Originally posted by Joecool:

the 49ers are your team too
Not if there's collective bargaining.
Originally posted by Joecool:

the 49ers are your team too

The 49ers only sort of suck.
The draft is good for football and the fans. I'm not certain where I would stand on all the legal arguments surrounding it on both sides. I generally think it's really good for the game and for the NFL. How would really bad teams or small market teams ever get good if you abolished the draft? Nobody would ever go there...
The Cowboys, Lakers, and Yankees would have all the top players all the time, oh wait...
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
The Cowboys, Lakers, and Yankees would have all the top players all the time, oh wait...

This is correct. But it would be more pronounced. Now small market teams can at least draft good. They leave in FA for Cowboys, Lakers and Yankess. But if you had no draft they would just go directly to the Cowboys, Lakers and Yankess and skip the first 4 - 5 years where they were drafted. You might as well end sports leagues. It would just destroy the competitiveness.
shh

Cowboys have all of the best players? They have 1 playoff win since the 90's. Not to mention that everyone that is good on that team was drafted or developed by the Boys.

Pittsburgh, Green Bay, New Orleans, Indianapolis are your last 4 teams to make the Super Bowl. Moral of the story is the only thing holding you back in the NFL is inept management. That's the way it should be.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on May 19, 2011 at 4:18 PM ]
nobody is forcing job seekers to do anything.

If you DESIRE to play in the NFL, you will have to accept some level of conformity...because the NFL has a business model and it is one of competition and parity

I thought that's what the salary cap is for.
Originally posted by tjd808185:

Cowboys have all of the best players? They have 1 playoff win since the 90's. Not to mention that everyone that is good on that team was drafted or developed by the Boys.

Pittsburgh, Green Bay, New Orleans, Indianapolis are your last 4 teams to make the Super Bowl. Moral of the story is the only thing holding you back in the NFL is inept management. That's the way it should be.

Same is true in the NBA. The Lakers have 5 titles in the last 20 years, and the Spurs have 4. 2nd biggest market in the NBA and the smallest one. The biggest market (Knicks) and the other team in the 2nd biggest market (Clippers) have been a disaster...due to bad management.
If you're good enough to seek employment, you're good enough to get drafted right?
Share 49ersWebzone