LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 221 users in the forums

The Official BCS National Championship Game: #2 Oregon vs #1 Auburn

Originally posted by ads_2006:
^Point Differential means alot in college football

Yeah, only when the team who has more points than the other team it's playing. Other than that, it means absolutely nothing in the National Championship Game.
Originally posted by pantstickle:
Originally posted by Sims84:
Well, there you have it...whose next??

Big 10? check

Big 12? check

Pac-10? check

5 straight National Championships, 4 different teams. SEC OWNS college football

Great defensive effort tonight by Auburn and Oregon but I'm glad Auburn pulled it out and held it down for the SEC

lol

a last second field goal to win translates to the SEC Owning college football.

If the SEC truly owned college football, we'd see some blowouts wins. IE, like more than two scores.

If anything, I think it highlights other teams/conferences are getting bettert, with the SEC still on the throne.

5 in a row, and 8-0 in BCS national championship games. Point differential means nothing. A win is a win, whether it's 1 point or 40.

Exactly. maybe if it was early in the season and you are trying to get those wins that will justify your position in the rankings but when its the National Championship game, that goes out the window. As long as you win, which the SEC does EVERYTIME it plays in the BCS title game, that is all that matters.

And who cares that it was a last second FG. That is not the reason why I'm saying the SEC is the most dominant conference. The reason why is also not because we have won 5 straight, although that should say something but it is because we have 4 DIFFERENT teams within our conference that has won the National Championship.

What 4 teams are going to help the Pac-10 now Pac-12 rattle off 5 straight? ......I'll wait........... What 4 teams in the Big 10 are going to help them rattle off 5 straight? ...... I'll wait again........ The SEC having 4 different champions in a matter of 5 years shows how dominant our conference is, not because we beat Oregon (just another victim) by 3 points with one of the worst defenses the SEC representative has had in a Championship game (Auburn ranked 58th ).

So yeah, I'd say we OWN college football

And for the record, I like Stanford but the reason Oregon was able to compete with Auburn was because they are the ONLY TEAM in the Pac-10 that can match the speed of the SEC. Stanford is very well coached (our very own) but they are not fast enough to play with the SEC. Auburn's front line is JUST AS physical as Stanford is PLUS they are faster so NO, they didn't deserve to play in that game, especially since they were outscored 49-10 after taking a huge lead vs Oregon

Big 10? check

Big 12? check

Pac-10? check

Great defensive effort tonight by Auburn and Oregon but I'm glad Auburn pulled it out and held it down for the SEC

lol

If the SEC truly owned college football, we'd see some blowouts wins. IE, like more than two scores.

If anything, I think it highlights other teams/conferences are getting bettert, with the SEC still on the throne.

5 in a row, and 8-0 in BCS national championship games. Point differential means nothing. A win is a win, whether it's 1 point or 40.

Exactly. maybe if it was early in the season and you are trying to get those wins that will justify your position in the rankings but when its the National Championship game, that goes out the window. As long as you win, which the SEC does EVERYTIME it plays in the BCS title game, that is all that matters.

And who cares that it was a last second FG. That is not the reason why I'm saying the SEC is the most dominant conference. The reason why is also not because we have won 5 straight, although that should say something but it is because we have 4 DIFFERENT teams within our conference that has won the National Championship.

What 4 teams are going to help the Pac-10 now Pac-12 rattle off 5 straight? ......I'll wait........... What 4 teams in the Big 10 are going to help them rattle off 5 straight? ...... I'll wait again........ The SEC having 4 different champions in a matter of 5 years shows how dominant our conference is, not because we beat Oregon (just another victim) by 3 points with one of the worst defenses the SEC representative has had in a Championship game (Auburn ranked 58th ).

And for the record, I like Stanford but the reason Oregon was able to compete with Auburn was because they are the ONLY TEAM in the Pac-10 that can match the speed of the SEC. Stanford is very well coached (our very own) but they are not fast enough to play with the SEC. Auburn's front line is JUST AS physical as Stanford is PLUS they are faster so NO, they didn't deserve to play in that game, especially since they were outscored 49-10 after taking a huge lead vs Oregon

Eh if USC hadn't been hit with hella restrictions and they still had dumbass Pete Carrol they could compete with the SEC and would probably still be winning National Titles. Or if Texas hadn't lost Colt McCoy last year in the title game due to injury, I think they would've won. Garrett Gilbert sucks.
Originally posted by jimmythegreekjr:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Originally posted by jrg:
Well, Newtons stock just went up.

He'll go #1 overall to Carolina.

I thought his stock went down

It did..

Tell us how his stock went down? Because he short armed a pass? Becuase he wasn't Superman tonight? He was still a huge factor in the game and they won. Don't tell us becuase he threw an INT and he shortarmed a pass at the goalline.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

Big 10? check

Big 12? check

Pac-10? check

lol

Eh if USC hadn't been hit with hella restrictions and they still had dumbass Pete Carrol they could compete with the SEC and would probably still be winning National Titles. Or if Texas hadn't lost Colt McCoy last year in the title game due to injury, I think they would've won. Garrett Gilbert sucks.

IF my aunt had a d**k she would be my uncle....we aren't talking about "what if", we are talking about what HAS happened. Everybody wanted the PAC-10 to get a shot at the SEC and just like EVERY OTHER CONFERENCE, they sent their best and got beat.

Colt took ONE SHOT from a LEGIT SEC defense and folded up and there is still no telling what "would of or might of" happened. How about Oklahoma, twice? Ohio.St, twice? Florida State (1999)? So hell, I forgot to add the "ACC" to my list to check off. Oops.

ACC? Check

Big 10? Check

Big 12? Check

PAC-10? Check

Who else wants a piece of the big bad SEC??
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Well that game was a huge dissapointment. other than the last 5 minutes, really boring. I can't beleive I actually thought this would be different and the SEC would actually have a hard time. They just have superior defenses year in, year out. Fairly dominated like Suh against Texas last year. Neither QB impressed me at all.
Originally posted by TX9R:
Well that game was a huge dissapointment. other than the last 5 minutes, really boring. I can't beleive I actually thought this would be different and the SEC would actually have a hard time. They just have superior defenses year in, year out. Fairly dominated like Suh against Texas last year. Neither QB impressed me at all.

Yep, the game was just not good. It was sloppy, turnovers all over the place, and just wasn't exciting.

As for the SEC, they're clearly the best conference in football. You can't argue with 5 straight championships. I just find it odd that some people will defend the conference like it's their favorite team...it's just a conference.
Originally posted by statman:

Yep, the game was just not good. It was sloppy, turnovers all over the place, and just wasn't exciting.

As for the SEC, they're clearly the best conference in football. You can't argue with 5 straight championships. I just find it odd that some people will defend the conference like it's their favorite team...it's just a conference.
There are 5 ways a team can score.

Extra point (1 pt)
2 point conversion (2 pts)
Safety (2 pts)
Field goal (3 pts)
Touchdown (6 pts)

The minimum score possible while scoring all 5 ways possible is 20. When the game was 11-9, the teams had scored the 5 ways possible with the fewest points possible.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by statman:

I completely agree about the conference thing. seems to be most prevelant with SEC and PAC10 guys and I just don't get it. I like my team, whenever another team from my conference plays anyone, I'm rooting for them to get slaughtered.

I jsut saw the replay of that run and he wasnt down, that was a good call
This has probably already been mentioned in this threads 28 pages but that loooong layoff had to hurt the offenses, neither looked real sharp. It's like how when the season starts & a coach will say the def. is ahead of the off. that clearly looked like the case last night. I do however believe the better more talented team did win.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Great game to attend. Stadium was crazy loud.

Congrats to Auburn on their championship. And congrats to Oregon for winning the championship retroactively in 2013.
Game observations:

1. Man, both QB's displayed what they can't do in this game.
2. Fairley is a freaking beast. We all know he camps in the backfield but did you see him chase down a f**king sweep? Damn, that was impressive.
3. #23 WR on Oregon has some speed, skills, and RAC ability. Sleeper in the draft?
4. Am I the only one who thought the ORE uniforms design is awesome?
Originally posted by epdavis:
This has probably already been mentioned in this threads 28 pages but that loooong layoff had to hurt the offenses, neither looked real sharp. It's like how when the season starts & a coach will say the def. is ahead of the off. that clearly looked like the case last night. I do however believe the better more talented team did win.

Finally, someone with a little insight.

Share 49ersWebzone