There are 733 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Official Hot Stove Thread (MLB free agency)

Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Quote:
Fans' treatment of Cliff Lee's wife at Yankee Stadium was ugly, but it might not have hurt the Yankees' recruitment of one of the game's top left-handed pitchers.

During the American League Championship Series games in New York between the Yankees and Rangers, fans were extremely rude to Kristen Lee, spitting and throwing beer in her direction and shouting obscenities.

prolly a non story at 20 million + per year

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/news/story?id=5729471

yankees piss me off

I wish for bad things to happen to the Yankees. I'd love it if Cliff Lee doesn't go there

I'd love it if Lee shows them up and takes less money to stay with the Rangers, and for both Jeter and Rivera to leave for the Red Sox lol
Quote:
Fans' treatment of Cliff Lee's wife at Yankee Stadium was ugly, but it might not have hurt the Yankees' recruitment of one of the game's top left-handed pitchers.

During the American League Championship Series games in New York between the Yankees and Rangers, fans were extremely rude to Kristen Lee, spitting and throwing beer in her direction and shouting obscenities.

yankees piss me off

I wish for bad things to happen to the Yankees. I'd love it if Cliff Lee doesn't go there

even better he goes there for insane money and the 32 yr old lee pitches like he did in 07 when he was left off the indians play off roster his whole yanks career
Originally posted by rigs49:
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
Cody Ross isn't a FA.

Give him an extension then.

Wont be an extension either. Ross is arbitration eligible. He will go to arbitration and get a nice 1 year deal with a large raise or the Giants will offer him a new contract to bypass the arbitration process ( most likely)
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Quote:

yankees piss me off

even better he goes there for insane money and the 32 yr old lee pitches like he did in 07 when he was left off the indians play off roster his whole yanks career

While I wouldn't mind that, I'd just rather he doesn't go there. I don't know why but I hope he goes to a nice situation, preferably an AL team not named the Yankees.
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Quote:

yankees piss me off

While I wouldn't mind that, I'd just rather he doesn't go there. I don't know why but I hope he goes to a nice situation, preferably an AL team not named the Yankees.

play for the giants at a low rate
  • Dapro
  • Veteran
I think the Giants should go after Jason Werth!
Originally posted by Dapro:

No thanks, Aaron Rowand 2.0

I think he may be worth it.
Quote:

[url=http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/news/story?id=5729471]http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/news/story?

id=5729471[/url][/quote

He will need more than that. He will get 20 mil from Texas, he needs 30 in NY to make up for higher taxes, heard it on ESPN. They will have to go way above everyone else, and Lee said rangers are a good option.

I do too. He can hit home runs, but he is more of a doubles man and he led the league in doubles either for a while or until the end. And his hitting style fits AT&T. His defense also fits. Only thing I worry about is his age. He is 31 right now and normally once you hit 32 or 33, you are on the downside of your career unless you take real good care of your body. I wanted Werth pretty bad before the trade deadline, but he was too expensive. If we don't re-sign Burrell, it would look pretty nice with Ross in LF, Torres in CF and Werth in RF.
Originally posted by 49ersRednGold:

I do too. He can hit home runs, but he is more of a doubles man and he led the league in doubles either for a while or until the end. And his hitting style fits AT&T. His defense also fits. Only thing I worry about is his age. He is 31 right now and normally once you hit 32 or 33, you are on the downside of your career unless you take real good care of your body. I wanted Werth pretty bad before the trade deadline, but he was too expensive. If we don't re-sign Burrell, it would look pretty nice with Ross in LF, Torres in CF and Werth in RF.

To add: Werth is more selective than Rowand, has more power, has more speed, a better arm, and hits for a better average. He's WAY better than Rowand.

During the playoffs, he played RF very well. He even threw out a runner (Cody Ross) trying to tag from 2nd to 3rd on a routine fly to right.
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Huff will probably retire and so will Renteria and Burrell

Rent and Burrell i can see. Huff wont. Huff is still relatively young, just outside his prime age, and the Giants are definately willing to bring him back with a pay raise.

Renteria and Burrell i think both realize they were heading into their final couple years as it was, and being able to walk away champions is the perfect way to call it a career. i dont think the Giants are willing to bring either back for much more than maybe 1-1.5 mil in a 1 year deal. theyre probably better off just pulling a Jerome Bettis.

Werth is going to command big bucks, and i just dont think hes all that great a player. hes very good, but he will want to be paid like a "great" player.

hes never hit .300, never driven in 100 runs, and his power came magically after he played half his home games in a bandbox when he came to Philly. hes going to be 32 in May next season, and he will want alot of money for someone his age in a longterm deal.

were better off getting Crawford, who has tools much more suitable for our home park and style of play. imagine what Crawford could do with triples alley....

but enough of that. everyone knows the Yankees, Red Sox, Tigers, or Mets will fork over MEGA cash in the offseason for him. we cant afford him. the only thing we will be able to use is "hey Carl....were the WORLD CHAMPIONS....wanna join?"

its weird, because before no f/a wanted to come here because we couldnt outbid the east coast powerhouses, and our park knocks down homers. for the first time since 2003 players are going to say "hmm....WS champs out west...pitching to do it again....great fanbase....maybe ill check it out."
Originally posted by Niners99:

Werth is going to command big bucks, and i just dont think hes all that great a player. hes very good, but he will want to be paid like a "great" player.

hes never hit .300, never driven in 100 runs, and his power came magically after he played half his home games in a bandbox when he came to Philly. hes going to be 32 in May next season, and he will want alot of money for someone his age in a longterm deal.

were better off getting Crawford, who has tools much more suitable for our home park and style of play. imagine what Crawford could do with triples alley....

but enough of that. everyone knows the Yankees, Red Sox, Tigers, or Mets will fork over MEGA cash in the offseason for him. we cant afford him. the only thing we will be able to use is "hey Carl....were the WORLD CHAMPIONS....wanna join?"

its weird, because before no f/a wanted to come here because we couldnt outbid the east coast powerhouses, and our park knocks down homers. for the first time since 2003 players are going to say "hmm....WS champs out west...pitching to do it again....great fanbase....maybe ill check it out."

This.

Werth is a good player, he can hit for good average, has some pop, can steal bases, and plays good defense - but he isn't great in any area and he is gettin' up in age.

If we are going to spend money, I rather spend another 4-5 million a year on a guy who is in his prime, electric on the bases and in the outfield, and can/will hit for at least .300 in our park.

We don't need another guy who can hit 25 dingers in our park, we have 2-3 guys who can do that (provided Huff, Ross, and Burrell are back). Yes, I would love to have Pat the Bat if the situation is right, and Huff and Ross will have to be back.
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Originally posted by Niners99:

This.

Werth is a good player, he can hit for good average, has some pop, can steal bases, and plays good defense - but he isn't great in any area and he is gettin' up in age.

If we are going to spend money, I rather spend another 4-5 million a year on a guy who is in his prime, electric on the bases and in the outfield, and can/will hit for at least .300 in our park.

We don't need another guy who can hit 25 dingers in our park, we have 2-3 guys who can do that (provided Huff, Ross, and Burrell are back). Yes, I would love to have Pat the Bat if the situation is right, and Huff and Ross will have to be back.

I don't see why we can't pay the big bucks for a guy like Crawford. The amount of money the Giants must have made off the playoffs and World Series (which obviously the last couple years we haven't done) then factor in Renteria's 9 mil off the payroll, DeRosa's money will be off after next year Rowand's will be off in 2012.

I'm sure the contract can be worked around with that for Crawford, if we gave Crawford a 6 year deal and most of the money in the last 4 years, why not? I'm obviously ridiculously stoked that we just won it all, but why not try to become a powerhouse out West?

We have proven time and time again that we do spend money each offseason, with winning a World Series and all the revenue that has generated, plus SF now looking like an ideal place to play, why wouldn't Crawford wanna come to SF?