Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by crzy:
Originally posted by valrod33:
People are so swayed by advertisement.

that jordan commercial gave me goosebumps

Me too

LOL. I hate you guys.

I literally tried to watch the Kobe version and stopped it after 11 seconds.

I was stupid for even trying.

The Jordan-caused-goosbumps returned shortly after I watch his epic ad once again. *whew*

Haha. Yeah, Kobe's a terrible pitchman because there's nothing fun or charismatic about his personality whatsoever. That's why they turned to the puppets.
Yea I thought the only sell shoes thing was a slight to Jordan. Teh empty ceremony has nothing to do with Jordan imo. He didn't even really crush Barkley that bad. either way great commercial better than that tiger commercial.
Originally posted by sacniner:
I like how he takes shots at MJ and Barkley. Lebron is self indulgent, and the way he left CLE was wrong, but he caught too much flak for leaving. He doesn't owe CLE anything. It's funny how CLE supposedly loved him, but right when he left they despise him. He is a ball player, that's the only reason they liked him. He doesn't owe them.

Even if he didn't give up in the playoffs, or do that idiotic segment on ESPN, CLE would hate him for leaving. MJ is turning into a bitter old man. Talk about self indulgent, MJ was probably worse than Lebron. It pains me to say that because he is a legend. And Barkley turned on Bron, but he pulled a similar move when he went to HOU with Clyde and Hakeem.

This commercial is cool because he isn't hiding from all the criticism. He is taking it head on which is interesting.

How?

And Barkley was 32 years old when he left to play with a 33 year old Drexler and a 32 year old Olajuwon. It's different than LeBron being 26 and joining Wade (28) and Bosh (26).

BTW, Jordan was always a bitter guy. He just had Nike and Gatorade making really sweet commercials for him. Kinda like this one.

How? This commercial is going at a lot of people who criticized him. It's the basis of the commercial. Do you see it a different way?

Of course Barkley's move wasn't exactly like Lebron, but it's similar. The way he came out and said Lebron can never be in the conversation of being great is ridiculous. It's somewhat hypocritical because he did join forces with those guys. They might not have been in their prime, but they joined forces with the hope of winning a ring like the guys in MIA.

As far as the Jordan thing, he never received backlash for being an a55hole. He is starting to a little now, but like you said he was packaged up for the public in an entire different way. He would never make a commercial like this. Way too polished and worried about his image, selling shoes, etc. He doesn't give a s*it about anything else. Gatorade never made a commercial like this for him. It was always a happy commercial with a cute song.

How is it "going at" his critics? Is acknowledging critics "going at" them?

Barkley's more similar to Karl Malone signing with the Lakers in his later years than LeBron. I don't see the hypocrisy, he wasn't in his prime.

Jordan never did anything as stupid (marketing wise) as The Decision, so there was no need to make a commercial acknowledging his critics.

I really don't see what's so interesting about this commercial.

By acknowledging them in the commercial he is going at them. He is going at Jordan with the HOF speech and the reference about the shoes. He says Barkley's name so that is obvious. He is not blatantly saying f*ck everyone who talked trash, but that's what the commercial is about.

Barkley is being hypocritical because he pulled a similar move. Just because he wasn't in his prime doesn't change the motive.

This has nothing to do with Jordan's image. He hates on everything now that he is retired, that was evident in his HOF speech. Unfortunately, him commenting on Lebron just makes him look like more of a hater.

You may not find the commercial interesting, but it is ballsy.

Ballsy?!??! How in the world is it ballsy?!?!? This is what passes as ballsy these days?

He made a commercial with the help of one of the best marketing groups in the world, it was surely screened and altered to appeal to the largest chunk of the basketball watching demographic, and that's "ballsy".

After leaving to join forces with Wade & Bosh, LeBron is described as ballsy. Unbelievable.

Yes, it's ballsy. What other mainstream athlete would make this kind of commercial? He is reenacting The Decision, which everyone despises. Most people would just try and leave that in the past. This is a FU. Yes, in this PC world this is ballsy. Barkley isn't making commercials where he is raping Barny anymore.

It was screened to appeal to the largest chunk of basketball watching demographic? This guy is bigger than that. They were talking about this commercial on CNN. This commercial has been talked about by more than basketball watching fans. I have no idea what you even mean with that point. And what's wrong with making a commercial with a big marketing group? All these guys do.

This commercial being ballsy has nothing to do with joining those guys in MIA. Two separate things. It wasn't a ballsy decision to join MIA, but making this commercial is ballsy.

It sounds like you dislike Lebron which is clouding your thinking.

You are confusing a Saturday Night Live skit with a commercial.

Originally posted by IWASATTHECATCH:
I like how he takes shots at MJ and Barkley. Lebron is self indulgent, and the way he left CLE was wrong, but he caught too much flak for leaving. He doesn't owe CLE anything. It's funny how CLE supposedly loved him, but right when he left they despise him. He is a ball player, that's the only reason they liked him. He doesn't owe them.

Even if he didn't give up in the playoffs, or do that idiotic segment on ESPN, CLE would hate him for leaving. MJ is turning into a bitter old man. Talk about self indulgent, MJ was probably worse than Lebron. It pains me to say that because he is a legend. And Barkley turned on Bron, but he pulled a similar move when he went to HOU with Clyde and Hakeem.

This commercial is cool because he isn't hiding from all the criticism. He is taking it head on which is interesting.

How?

And Barkley was 32 years old when he left to play with a 33 year old Drexler and a 32 year old Olajuwon. It's different than LeBron being 26 and joining Wade (28) and Bosh (26).

BTW, Jordan was always a bitter guy. He just had Nike and Gatorade making really sweet commercials for him. Kinda like this one.

How? This commercial is going at a lot of people who criticized him. It's the basis of the commercial. Do you see it a different way?

Of course Barkley's move wasn't exactly like Lebron, but it's similar. The way he came out and said Lebron can never be in the conversation of being great is ridiculous. It's somewhat hypocritical because he did join forces with those guys. They might not have been in their prime, but they joined forces with the hope of winning a ring like the guys in MIA.

As far as the Jordan thing, he never received backlash for being an a55hole. He is starting to a little now, but like you said he was packaged up for the public in an entire different way. He would never make a commercial like this. Way too polished and worried about his image, selling shoes, etc. He doesn't give a s*it about anything else. Gatorade never made a commercial like this for him. It was always a happy commercial with a cute song.

How is it "going at" his critics? Is acknowledging critics "going at" them?

Barkley's more similar to Karl Malone signing with the Lakers in his later years than LeBron. I don't see the hypocrisy, he wasn't in his prime.

Jordan never did anything as stupid (marketing wise) as The Decision, so there was no need to make a commercial acknowledging his critics.

I really don't see what's so interesting about this commercial.

By acknowledging them in the commercial he is going at them. He is going at Jordan with the HOF speech and the reference about the shoes. He says Barkley's name so that is obvious. He is not blatantly saying f*ck everyone who talked trash, but that's what the commercial is about.

Barkley is being hypocritical because he pulled a similar move. Just because he wasn't in his prime doesn't change the motive.

This has nothing to do with Jordan's image. He hates on everything now that he is retired, that was evident in his HOF speech. Unfortunately, him commenting on Lebron just makes him look like more of a hater.

You may not find the commercial interesting, but it is ballsy.

Ballsy?!??! How in the world is it ballsy?!?!? This is what passes as ballsy these days?

He made a commercial with the help of one of the best marketing groups in the world, it was surely screened and altered to appeal to the largest chunk of the basketball watching demographic, and that's "ballsy".

After leaving to join forces with Wade & Bosh, LeBron is described as ballsy. Unbelievable.

Yes, it's ballsy. What other mainstream athlete would make this kind of commercial? He is reenacting The Decision, which everyone despises. Most people would just try and leave that in the past. This is a FU. Yes, in this PC world this is ballsy. Barkley isn't making commercials where he is raping Barny anymore.

It was screened to appeal to the largest chunk of basketball watching demographic? This guy is bigger than that. They were talking about this commercial on CNN. This commercial has been talked about by more than basketball watching fans. I have no idea what you even mean with that point. And what's wrong with making a commercial with a big marketing group? All these guys do.

This commercial being ballsy has nothing to do with joining those guys in MIA. Two separate things. It wasn't a ballsy decision to join MIA, but making this commercial is ballsy.

It sounds like you dislike Lebron which is clouding your thinking.

You are confusing a Saturday Night Live skit with a commercial.

LOL, it was just a joke. Probably a bad one though

Just makin' sure...
Originally posted by IWASATTHECATCH:

Just makin' sure...

why dont you make sure of your face next time PAL
Meh. Lebron reading scripts means squat-diddley to me.

It's good for Nike though.
I don't understand why anyone is saying it's ballsy. It's not anything that hasn't been done before.

It's another version of this commercial by Jordan. Nike has done this a million times.

No s**t.

And no, LeBron wasn't clowning MJ. Jordan has a team that VERY closely guards his image (read about his involvement in 2k11, lol), and if you think that NIKE is going to greenlight a shot at their most famous spokesperson, I don't know what to tell you. They're not in the business of diminishing their own brand.

As far as me "not liking LeBron, so it clouds my thinking"...no. I think the backlash he received for the Decision was ridiculous. But the commercial AND the response to it is extremely lame. People are so swayed by advertisement.

Most people, here and at work, think that wasn't a shot at MJ. I'm definitely in the minority on that. That's fine. Maybe I'm wrong. It's okay if we have different opinions. I'm not trying to sway you to believe me. If you think my response to the commercial is lame, sorry I don't agree with you.

Although, I'm not sure if your statement was directed at me or no, I wasn't swayed by this commercial. My feelings about him are the same. I don't think he is a great human being, I really don't care. He is a great player. That's it. I'm not running out to buy a pair of his sneakers. It's was his right to leave CLE and I don't blame him. But the way he did it was horrendous. I think the backlash he received for doing the segment on ESPN was justified.
Most people, here and at work, think that wasn't a shot at MJ. I'm definitely in the minority on that. That's fine. Maybe I'm wrong. It's okay if we have different opinions. I'm not trying to sway you to believe me. If you think my response to the commercial is lame, sorry I don't agree with you.

Although, I'm not sure if your statement was directed at me or no, I wasn't swayed by this commercial. My feelings about him are the same. I don't think he is a great human being, I really don't care. He is a great player. That's it. I'm not running out to buy a pair of his sneakers. It's was his right to leave CLE and I don't blame him. But the way he did it was horrendous. I think the backlash he received for doing the segment on ESPN was justified.

My statement about people being swayed was a general one that may or may not have applied to you. You say that it doesn't sway you either way, and I have no reason to not believe you. I think people in general put a lot of stock in things based on appearance, and that's always really bothered me. Needing brand name clothes, dismissing people based on their looks, etc. That's probably at the heart of my annoyance with Jordan fans. He was so perfectly marketed that the substance of the player (and there was a lot of it) has been augmented to ridiculously exaggerated proportions. It's also something that I like about Kobe. He's socially awkward, uncharismatic, and his general image is pretty poor. The positive opinions that he's earned are almost entirely based on the substance of his game.

So just chalk it up to a pet peeve of mine.

As for the backlash, it's funny how opposite our opinions are on this. I totally disagree with you here. I woulda had a TON of respect for LeBron had he said, "Get off your high horse. I don't owe you squat. Y'all can kiss my ass."

That's what Barkley woulda done.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame

My statement about people being swayed was a general one that may or may not have applied to you. You say that it doesn't sway you either way, and I have no reason to not believe you. I think people in general put a lot of stock in things based on appearance, and that's always really bothered me. Needing brand name clothes, dismissing people based on their looks, etc. That's probably at the heart of my annoyance with Jordan fans. He was so perfectly marketed that the substance of the player (and there was a lot of it) has been augmented to ridiculously exaggerated proportions. It's also something that I like about Kobe. He's socially awkward, uncharismatic, and his general image is pretty poor. The positive opinions that he's earned are almost entirely based on the substance of his game.

So just chalk it up to a pet peeve of mine.

As for the backlash, it's funny how opposite our opinions are on this. I totally disagree with you here. I woulda had a TON of respect for LeBron had he said, "Get off your high horse. I don't owe you squat. Y'all can kiss my ass."

That's what Barkley woulda done.

He kind of did this last week by telling Cleveland fans to get over it.

He kind of did this last week by telling Cleveland fans to get over it.

Did he? I didn't see that.
crzy...

If LeBron James was a Cleveland Cavaliers fan living in Akron, Ohio, he wouldn’t have liked himself either, he told the Associated Press Friday.

James said he understands why Cavs’ fans continue to become angry at him, but he says that they need to move on and get over it. Since the Decision, James’ popularity has dropped significantly.

“If I was a fan and I was on the outside looking in, I could be upset a little bit if one of my favorite players left,” James said. “Or if I felt like he betrayed us or whatever the case may be. But you have to get over it.”

James then tweeted this after: “Let’s clear this up! I never said to the Cavs fans to ‘get over it.’ I’ve never and will never say anything bad about them. Seven years of joy!”

link
[ Edited by LA9erFan on Oct 26, 2010 at 1:52 PM ]
In pretty much everything he's done since the end of Cleveland's playoff run, my reaction has been the same. "LeBron, you are a goddamn weenie."

From how he checked out at the end of the Boston series, to him joining forces with D-Wade & Bosh, to him not telling everyone to quit their whining, that's been my reaction. He's a great, great player that totally had the right to leave Cleveland, and while The Decision was tacky, it's really a minor deal in my book. But everything about him has screamed "I don't want to carry too much of the blame if things go wrong, and I'm really, really, really concerned with what people think of me."

I hope what happened this offseason pissed him off and he wants to obliterate the league. He's FAR too talented for it to be wasted on someone who's mentally soft. The Dr. J comparisons that Bill Simmons made are ringing true though.
Just watched that commercial live during the game, and it is not "ballsy." I was pumped up when I saw it on youtube for some reason... After seeing it live, I was wrong... put too much on it.

BTW, the Heat offense looks terrible so far. No rhythm.
lol
Share 49ersWebzone