LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 233 users in the forums

Lebron's new "edgy" commerical

Originally posted by IWASATTHECATCH:
Originally posted by sacniner:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
I like how he takes shots at MJ and Barkley. Lebron is self indulgent, and the way he left CLE was wrong, but he caught too much flak for leaving. He doesn't owe CLE anything. It's funny how CLE supposedly loved him, but right when he left they despise him. He is a ball player, that's the only reason they liked him. He doesn't owe them.

Even if he didn't give up in the playoffs, or do that idiotic segment on ESPN, CLE would hate him for leaving. MJ is turning into a bitter old man. Talk about self indulgent, MJ was probably worse than Lebron. It pains me to say that because he is a legend. And Barkley turned on Bron, but he pulled a similar move when he went to HOU with Clyde and Hakeem.

This commercial is cool because he isn't hiding from all the criticism. He is taking it head on which is interesting.

How?

And Barkley was 32 years old when he left to play with a 33 year old Drexler and a 32 year old Olajuwon. It's different than LeBron being 26 and joining Wade (28) and Bosh (26).

BTW, Jordan was always a bitter guy. He just had Nike and Gatorade making really sweet commercials for him. Kinda like this one.

How? This commercial is going at a lot of people who criticized him. It's the basis of the commercial. Do you see it a different way?

Of course Barkley's move wasn't exactly like Lebron, but it's similar. The way he came out and said Lebron can never be in the conversation of being great is ridiculous. It's somewhat hypocritical because he did join forces with those guys. They might not have been in their prime, but they joined forces with the hope of winning a ring like the guys in MIA.

As far as the Jordan thing, he never received backlash for being an a55hole. He is starting to a little now, but like you said he was packaged up for the public in an entire different way. He would never make a commercial like this. Way too polished and worried about his image, selling shoes, etc. He doesn't give a s*it about anything else. Gatorade never made a commercial like this for him. It was always a happy commercial with a cute song.

How? Were you watching hoops when Barkley played in Philly, or even Phoenix? He was traded both times- Philly-to-Phx & Phx-to-Houston. LeBron torched his home town/state/team/owner/fans in an "all-about-me" spectacle. Sh!t's not even in the same ballpark. Barkley was an all-star, LeBron inked his shoulders with "Chosen1," then scurried for help when he fell short after quitting in a few playoff games just cuz a teammate wanted to pump him mom full of "little Delonte's".

Yeah, I watched him back then. He demanded a trade out of PHO. And he wanted to go to a title contender. He wasn't an innocent bystander that got dealt suddenly. I've already stated that the way Lebron left was stupid. Horrible move. I think he realizes that now. Scurried for help? I'm not sure about that. He wanted out of Cleveland. It's a s*itty town and that team will always be sh*itty. I know it's close to his hometown, and that's a cute story, but who cares. He doesn't owe them anything. He made that franchise relevant again. MIA is an awesome situation for him and the NBA. I don't love that team, but I can see why he wanted to go there.

The only mistake he made, and it was huge, was the stupid spectacle on ESPN.
I like how he takes shots at MJ and Barkley. Lebron is self indulgent, and the way he left CLE was wrong, but he caught too much flak for leaving. He doesn't owe CLE anything. It's funny how CLE supposedly loved him, but right when he left they despise him. He is a ball player, that's the only reason they liked him. He doesn't owe them.

Even if he didn't give up in the playoffs, or do that idiotic segment on ESPN, CLE would hate him for leaving. MJ is turning into a bitter old man. Talk about self indulgent, MJ was probably worse than Lebron. It pains me to say that because he is a legend. And Barkley turned on Bron, but he pulled a similar move when he went to HOU with Clyde and Hakeem.

This commercial is cool because he isn't hiding from all the criticism. He is taking it head on which is interesting.

How?

And Barkley was 32 years old when he left to play with a 33 year old Drexler and a 32 year old Olajuwon. It's different than LeBron being 26 and joining Wade (28) and Bosh (26).

BTW, Jordan was always a bitter guy. He just had Nike and Gatorade making really sweet commercials for him. Kinda like this one.

How? This commercial is going at a lot of people who criticized him. It's the basis of the commercial. Do you see it a different way?

Of course Barkley's move wasn't exactly like Lebron, but it's similar. The way he came out and said Lebron can never be in the conversation of being great is ridiculous. It's somewhat hypocritical because he did join forces with those guys. They might not have been in their prime, but they joined forces with the hope of winning a ring like the guys in MIA.

As far as the Jordan thing, he never received backlash for being an a55hole. He is starting to a little now, but like you said he was packaged up for the public in an entire different way. He would never make a commercial like this. Way too polished and worried about his image, selling shoes, etc. He doesn't give a s*it about anything else. Gatorade never made a commercial like this for him. It was always a happy commercial with a cute song.

How? Were you watching hoops when Barkley played in Philly, or even Phoenix? He was traded both times- Philly-to-Phx & Phx-to-Houston. LeBron torched his home town/state/team/owner/fans in an "all-about-me" spectacle. Sh!t's not even in the same ballpark. Barkley was an all-star, LeBron inked his shoulders with "Chosen1," then scurried for help when he fell short after quitting in a few playoff games just cuz a teammate wanted to pump him mom full of "little Delonte's".

Yeah, I watched him back then. He demanded a trade out of PHO. And he wanted to go to a title contender. He wasn't an innocent bystander that got dealt suddenly. I've already stated that the way Lebron left was stupid. Horrible move. I think he realizes that now. Scurried for help? I'm not sure about that. He wanted out of Cleveland. It's a s*itty town and that team will always be sh*itty. I know it's close to his hometown, and that's a cute story, but who cares. He doesn't owe them anything. He made that franchise relevant again. MIA is an awesome situation for him and the NBA. I don't love that team, but I can see why he wanted to go there.

Look at history (sports, or otherwise), all it takes is one "huge mistake" to change opinions forever: Kobe, OJ, Lorena Bobbitt, Attila the Hun, Adolf Hitler, LaMar Kardashian, Senator Gary Hart, Judas, Mike Tyson, Mother Theresa, Lionel Ritchie (post Commodores, but pre-Dancing On The Ceiling), Ditka (after the draft-day trade to get Ricky Williams)... and on and on and on. And now BronBron.

How?

Look at history (sports, or otherwise), all it takes is one "huge mistake" to change opinions forever: Kobe, OJ, Lorena Bobbitt, Attila the Hun, Adolf Hitler, LaMar Kardashian, Senator Gary Hart, Judas, Mike Tyson, Mother Theresa, Lionel Ritchie (post Commodores, but pre-Dancing On The Ceiling), Ditka (after the draft-day trade to get Ricky Williams)... and on and on and on. And now BronBron.

You have a point, but if Bron goes in and wins several titles his public image will be a lot better. A lot of the people you listed are impossible to compare with him for obvious reasons. Kobe was hated before that girl lied, but it's not even brought up anymore. He is still hated, but probably the same amount he was hated before the incident.

Bron will never be viewed as an angel, his public image before was really good before and it'll never be there again. But if he is successful on the court and wins rings he'll be fine.

How?

You have a point, but if Bron goes in and wins several titles his public image will be a lot better. A lot of the people you listed are impossible to compare with him for obvious reasons. Kobe was hated before that girl lied, but it's not even brought up anymore. He is still hated, but probably the same amount he was hated before the incident.

Bron will never be viewed as an angel, his public image before was really good before and it'll never be there again. But if he is successful on the court and wins rings he'll be fine.

You're right, his public image will improve after hoisting a trophy or two. But don't forget the public is made up of people I'd never want to know or be associated with. To top it all off, take your average stupid person and then realize that 50% of them are dumber.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Before the end of next year, Lebron will be probably be worshiped by everyone except Cleveland fans.

I'll probably eventually forgive him as well. That commercial was awesome

[ Edited by crzy on Oct 25, 2010 at 22:42:39 ]
Originally posted by crzy:
Before the end of next year, Lebron will be probably be worshiped by everyone except Cleveland fans.

I'll probably eventually forgive him as well. That commercial was awesome

I liked it too

How?

How is it "going at" his critics? Is acknowledging critics "going at" them?

Barkley's more similar to Karl Malone signing with the Lakers in his later years than LeBron. I don't see the hypocrisy, he wasn't in his prime.

Jordan never did anything as stupid (marketing wise) as The Decision, so there was no need to make a commercial acknowledging his critics.

I really don't see what's so interesting about this commercial.
And to answer LeBron's question of "what should I do", actually winning something would be a nice start. I can't think of another athlete in my lifetime that's received as much hype as he has without winning anything of significance. Good Lord.

How?

Barkley's more similar to Karl Malone signing with the Lakers in his later years than LeBron. I don't see the hypocrisy, he wasn't in his prime.

Jordan never did anything as stupid (marketing wise) as The Decision, so there was no need to make a commercial acknowledging his critics.

By acknowledging them in the commercial he is going at them. He is going at Jordan with the HOF speech and the reference about the shoes. He says Barkley's name so that is obvious. He is not blatantly saying f*ck everyone who talked trash, but that's what the commercial is about.

Barkley is being hypocritical because he pulled a similar move. Just because he wasn't in his prime doesn't change the motive.

This has nothing to do with Jordan's image. He hates on everything now that he is retired, that was evident in his HOF speech. Unfortunately, him commenting on Lebron just makes him look like more of a hater.

You may not find the commercial interesting, but it is ballsy.
And to answer LeBron's question of "what should I do", actually winning something would be a nice start. I can't think of another athlete in my lifetime that's received as much hype as he has without winning anything of significance. Good Lord.

Used to be A-Rod.

Originally posted by Otter:
I think it's designed to elicit sympathy. So I'm with Syber GTFO.

Start winning championships and everyone will forgive and forget. I personally don't give a s**t. I thought his self indulgent decision thing was crap, I don't look up to him or any athlete, Montana and Young excepted, so in short I don't care, and I don't want to listen to whining from Lebron James as he makes millions for playing a game and millions more trying to sell shoes for Nike.

/rant

cosigned, he's a DBag who makes it more about himself than the game.

How?

By acknowledging them in the commercial he is going at them. He is going at Jordan with the HOF speech and the reference about the shoes. He says Barkley's name so that is obvious. He is not blatantly saying f*ck everyone who talked trash, but that's what the commercial is about.

Barkley is being hypocritical because he pulled a similar move. Just because he wasn't in his prime doesn't change the motive.

This has nothing to do with Jordan's image. He hates on everything now that he is retired, that was evident in his HOF speech. Unfortunately, him commenting on Lebron just makes him look like more of a hater.

Ballsy?!??! How in the world is it ballsy?!?!? This is what passes as ballsy these days?

He made a commercial that was conceptualized by one of the best marketing groups in the world, it was surely screened and altered to appeal to the largest chunk of the basketball watching demographic, and that's "ballsy".

After leaving to join forces with Wade & Bosh, LeBron is described as ballsy. Unbelievable.

[ Edited by LA9erFan on Oct 25, 2010 at 23:18:00 ]
The best Lebron commercial:

[/thread]

How?

Ballsy?!??! How in the world is it ballsy?!?!? This is what passes as ballsy these days?

He made a commercial with the help of one of the best marketing groups in the world, it was surely screened and altered to appeal to the largest chunk of the basketball watching demographic, and that's "ballsy".

After leaving to join forces with Wade & Bosh, LeBron is described as ballsy. Unbelievable.

Yes, it's ballsy. What other mainstream athlete would make this kind of commercial? He is reenacting The Decision, which everyone despises. Most people would just try and leave that in the past. This is a FU. Yes, in this PC world this is ballsy. Barkley isn't making commercials where he is raping Barny anymore.

It was screened to appeal to the largest chunk of basketball watching demographic? This guy is bigger than that. They were talking about this commercial on CNN. This commercial has been talked about by more than basketball watching fans. I have no idea what you even mean with that point. And what's wrong with making a commercial with a big marketing group? All these guys do.

This commercial being ballsy has nothing to do with joining those guys in MIA. Two separate things. It wasn't a ballsy decision to join MIA, but making this commercial is ballsy.

It sounds like you dislike Lebron which is clouding your thinking.
I finally just watched the friggin commercial. WTF is ballsy about that?
Share 49ersWebzone