2010-2011 San Antonio Spurs thread

GO SPURS GO
Starters (for now)

Tony Parker
Manu Ginobili
Richard Jefferson
DeJuan Blair*
Tim Duncan

* I've never much liked Duncan and Blair on the floor at the same time. Apparently Blair now weighs 265 pounds and is down to 8% body fat. If he's quicker and more agile, then perhaps he will be able to better share space with Duncan.
I imagine by the end of the season the finishing 5 will be:

Tony Parker
George Hill
Manu Ginobili
Tim Duncan
Tiago Splitter

Best mix of scoring, shooting, defense, and talent.
Originally posted by dobo:
Starters (for now)

Tony Parker
Manu Ginobili
Richard Jefferson
DeJuan Blair*
Tim Duncan

* I've never much liked Duncan and Blair on the floor at the same time. Apparently Blair now weighs 265 pounds and is down to 8% knee cartilage. If he's quicker and more agile, then perhaps he will be able to better share space with Duncan.

Fixed
So I've given some thought to this: it all comes down to Richard Jefferson and Tiago Splitter. The contributions of the everyone else in the rotation are pretty much predictable*; but if those two guys play well, the Spurs will be contenders. The key is winning games while preserving Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili.

If Splitter can play 30+ minutes at a Varejao/Scola level:

(1) Duncan will be able to rest, even while on the court. Esp. on defense.
(2) It will be easier to let Duncan play fewer minutes (depending on the circumstances), since Blair is both young and a solid contributor and would make a nice duo with Splitter.
(3) Duncan and Splitter together help mask a glaring weakness in the post-Bowen era, the lack of an elite perimeter defender. Sean Elliott wasn't an elite perimeter defender, and the '98-'99 Spurs were the best defensive team I've ever seen.

If Jefferson can play 30+ minutes, while hitting open shots and not making boneheaded mistakes on defense:

(1) Manu will be able to rest. Last season, Jefferson was pretty much useless when he was on the court at the same time as Hill and Parker. So he never really afforded Manu any rest. Manu had to be on the court, creating for Jefferson (much in the same way Kidd did).
(2) More space will be created on offense for the penetrators and the posts. A credible outside threat is absolutely essential for the Spurs. It's how Parker and Manu are able to blow by defenders with ease, and it helps Duncan in the post (if they double him, he almost always has an open slasher, and Duncan is one of the best at that.)
(3) Related to (2), Pop will stop being so infatuated with Matt Bonner and "his ability to stretch the floor." Less Bonner means more Blair, more Duncan, more Splitter, more McDyess.

So it's up to Splitter and Jefferson. Mainly because Splitter is an unknown and Jefferson is an enigma. If they both suck, the Spurs will win 44-46 games, limping into the playoffs with Manu and Duncan tired and/or injured. The ceiling is upper 50s if they're good, with the team peaking and the Big 3 fresh and ready to contend.

* Tim Duncan will continue his slow decline, Tony Parker will be Tony Parker (give or take a step), Manu Ginobili will be his usual competitive/crafty/clever/clutch self but injury prone, George Hill will be a solid combo guard, DeJuan Blair will be a round bundle of energy, Antonio McDyess will spend the first half of the season asleep before finding his mid-range jumper, Matt Bonner will be a hit-and-miss stretch 4

[ Edited by dobo on Oct 26, 2010 at 07:48:18 ]
Most likely, I see both Splitter and Jefferson getting 25 minutes per game. I think their contributions won't be ideal, but I think Jefferson will be improved from last season. Splitter will have some growing pains.

Realistically, I think the Spurs win 48-50 games.
Good observations. I think Splitter has a higher likelihood of fulfilling his responsibilities than Jefferson does. Did you watch any of the preseason? How did Splitter look?
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Good observations. I think Splitter has a higher likelihood of fulfilling his responsibilities than Jefferson does. Did you watch any of the preseason? How did Splitter look?

Splitter has yet to suit up, I think. He's been hurt.

Jefferson looks better, but in a 49ers preseason kinda way.

Oh damn, didn't know Splitter was hurt. Jefferson will at least know what the hell is going this year, kinda like Artest for the Lakers. From my observation, guys who are heavily dependent upon their speed or jumping ability tend to fall off the cliff very quickly once they become average athletes. Jefferson could be one of those guys.

Oh damn, didn't know Splitter was hurt. Jefferson will at least know what the hell is going this year, kinda like Artest for the Lakers. From my observation, guys who are heavily dependent upon their speed or jumping ability tend to fall off the cliff very quickly once they become average athletes. Jefferson could be one of those guys.

Yeah, I'm a little concerned about that. I'm not entirely sure Tiago Splitter exists.

What I've noticed so far this preseason about Jefferson is his improved confidence. Apparently he spent all summer working on his shot and his defense with Pop and, let's face it, the opt-out thing was obviously premeditated by both parties. That makes me optimistic, since the Spurs FO has earned a presumption of smarts from me.

His responsibilities aren't that huge. The Spurs need him to be Sean Elliott, circa kidney failure.

I really do think giving Manu a rest and keeping Bonner on the bench would be HUGE.
Quote:
Where do you think the three of you should be regarded among the great trios in NBA history?

TP: “Yeah, that's a GREAT question, because I'm watching the game last night (Miami's Big Three had played its preseason opener the night before) and it shows all the best Big Threes — Chicago, Boston, the Lakers. After that, there's a hole and it goes straight to Miami. I don't know why they never put us on that list. It's not like it's gonna bother me, because I have the rings and I'll sleep well at night. But they just don't want to put us up there.”

TD: “That's how it always is. Even in the midst of us winning championships every other year, every year we started we'd be like the No. 5 team on the list to win it. That's the way it is in San Antonio, for whatever reason. We don't get that respect.”

TP: “I always say if we did what we did in New York, we'd be gods right now.”

TD: “It would be crazy.”

TP: “I think the fact that me and Manu are international players, I don't think we get the same respect. Because we're not from America, I think that's why we're not considered up there with the Bostons, or the Lakers or Chicago.”

TD: “It's a conspiracy theory.”

OK, I'm done posting for awhile. It's getting all jrg-y in here.
It's getting all jrg-y in here.

The talking to yourself part, the Rodney Dangerfield part, or the convincing yourself that your team's a contender part?
It's getting all jrg-y in here.

The talking to yourself part, the Rodney Dangerfield part, or the convincing yourself that your team's a contender part?

all of it

(btw, I posted the Dangerfield part because of Duncan's sarcasm, I love it)
Offense looked good last night. Defense not so good. I think the Pacers were just shooting. Also need to limit them turnovers. Oh well first game and we got a win.
Originally posted by Ajanke:
Offense looked good last night. Defense not so good. I think the Pacers were just shooting. Also need to limit them turnovers. Oh well first game and we got a win.

yeah 122 point is pretty good. gotta get the D goin