LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 370 users in the forums

2010-11 Back-to-Back NBA Champion Los Angeles Lakers Thread

• kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LA9erFan:

True. I'd add...

6. This team's won back-to-back titles and has nothing to prove in the regular season.

I think that's a big factor when determining regular season wins. In 2000, we won 67 games and then got the title against Indiana. The next two seasons we only won 56 & 58 games, and yet still got it done in the postseason. In 2009, we won 65, and that dropped to 57 last year.

I just think it's hard (and probably counterproductive) for a team to go balls out for 82 games when they've come off of a title. It's very possible that their Give-A-s**t-O-Meter is pretty low in November & December.

This squad is easily more talented than the two previous teams though. My biggest worry is Kobe's health/regression, because he's still the sun that everyone else orbits around.

To be fair, the 57 wins were enough to win the West, and the Lakers coasted a bit after building up a pretty big conference lead.

Also the Lakers ran into serious health issues last season and they were spread out throughout the season:

1. Kobe with the finger, ankle (which actually caused him to miss games) and then the knee.
2. Pau with two missed stretches thanks to his hamstrings.
3. Ron with his "fall" and concussion.
4. Drew with yet another injury (strained Achilles tendon) later in the season.

Basically, if 4 out of 5 starters miss significant time and you still win 57 and the conference...I'd say you did damn well. That being said, Kobe singlehandledly won at least 7 of those games with his clutch play. (And 7 games was the difference between the 1st and the 8th seed in the West).

Fully healthy, I think the Lakers would have won 65 plus games last year at teh very least.
Originally posted by kray28:

True. I'd add...

6. This team's won back-to-back titles and has nothing to prove in the regular season.

I think that's a big factor when determining regular season wins. In 2000, we won 67 games and then got the title against Indiana. The next two seasons we only won 56 & 58 games, and yet still got it done in the postseason. In 2009, we won 65, and that dropped to 57 last year.

I just think it's hard (and probably counterproductive) for a team to go balls out for 82 games when they've come off of a title. It's very possible that their Give-A-s**t-O-Meter is pretty low in November & December.

This squad is easily more talented than the two previous teams though. My biggest worry is Kobe's health/regression, because he's still the sun that everyone else orbits around.

To be fair, the 57 wins were enough to win the West, and the Lakers coasted a bit after building up a pretty big conference lead.

Also the Lakers ran into serious health issues last season and they were spread out throughout the season:

1. Kobe with the finger, ankle (which actually caused him to miss games) and then the knee.
2. Pau with two missed stretches thanks to his hamstrings.
3. Ron with his "fall" and concussion.
4. Drew with yet another injury (strained Achilles tendon) later in the season.

Basically, if 4 out of 5 starters miss significant time and you still win 57 and the conference...I'd say you did damn well. That being said, Kobe singlehandledly won at least 7 of those games with his clutch play. (And 7 games was the difference between the 1st and the 8th seed in the West).

Fully healthy, I think the Lakers would have won 65 plus games last year at teh very least.

Excellent counterpoints. I think that if the Lakers needed to win a few more games to win the West, they probably would have pushed a little harder and done so. And you're right that there were an unusual amount of injuries last year, but I don't know if that's a product of age. We're already off to a bad start in that department with Bynum and with Kobe working his way back from surgery.

It's still my perception though that this team has a habit of taking games off, for whatever reason. That's why I disagree with your 65+ games opinion. Had it been a goal of their's they could have easily done it, but I don't think it is.

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see us beating the crap out of teams in the playoffs though.

[ Edited by LA9erFan on Oct 13, 2010 at 16:15:36 ]
Sasha got knocked a concussion from a wayward Odom elbow yesterday. Here's what Phil Jackson had to say about the tests they ran afterward.

"Sasha says he's feeling pretty good actually. He doesn't have blurred vision. He doesn't see lights and they did find a brain when they went in."
Sasha got knocked a concussion from a wayward Odom elbow yesterday. Here's what Phil Jackson had to say about the tests they ran afterward.

"Sasha says he's feeling pretty good actually. He doesn't have blurred vision. He doesn't see lights and they did find a brain when they went in."

there ain't nothing like getting zinged by the coach

its all love in la la land
Does anyone agree preseason basketball is 20x better than postseason baseball?
  • titan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by socalfan21:

NBA pre-season warmup is better than postseason baseball.
Originally posted by titan:

thats coming from 2 guys who dont like baseball so thats why yall 2 come out with those ridiculous statements
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:

thats coming from 2 guys who dont like baseball so thats why yall 2 come out with those ridiculous statements

Isn't that the point?

Anyway, game tonight at 7:30 vs. Denver.

I'm an A's fan and I do like baseball lmao

I'm an A's fan and I do like baseball lmao

I can confirm his dedication to the A's.

Oh snap. Lakers on NBATV right now vs the Nuggets.
The Lakers rotation looks mightttyyyyy goood
Lakers suck they can't even win a preseason game...
Lakers suck they can't even win a preseason game...

They beat the nuggets the other night.

• jrg
  • Veteran
Who cares, it's pre season
Share 49ersWebzone