There are 110 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Coffee Retires?

Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
I dont know why people hate on this guy. He just didnt have an interest in making football his number priority. Personally speaking, im glad he left the team, rather than having him out on the field only giving 50% effort. Consequently, hurting us in the long run. So, i thank him for having the courage to retire.

I saw and interview of him where he stated that, people around him, pushed him to play football most of his life because he had talent at an early age. And when he end up in the NFL he felt like he was just going through the motions. He also said that he had a talk with Singletary after his rookie season letting him know that his heart just wasn't in it anymore, so the niners were well aware. I think at that point the niners should have just tried to go in a different direction.

Just to think we had an opportunity to have Gore and Blunt in the backfield makes me

We drafted Dixon a year after we'd picked Coffee. If the Niners knew, they acted accordingly.
He should have not declared for the draft if he knew he wasn't Ganna play
Ex-49ers quitter Glenn Coffee quits quitting, returns to football.

how long before he quits again?
[ Edited by skynet907 on May 16, 2011 at 4:07 PM ]
  • mod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by skynet907:

I guess he found out how tough the real world is.
Originally posted by modninerfan:

maybe Singletary hurting his poor feelers yelling doesn't seem so bad?
  • dj43
  • Veteran
Originally posted by solidg2000:
He should have not declared for the draft if he knew he wasn't Ganna play

In one of the interviews following his retirement, he answered that question.
Originally posted by modninerfan:

maybe Singletary hurting his poor feelers yelling doesn't seem so bad?

He's playing semi-pro now for fun
That's his business. Who cares anymore?
If he still wanted to play football why didn't he just keep playing? He wasn't good anyway. So I don't care. Best wishes to him.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on May 16, 2011 at 9:54 PM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
If he still wanted to play football why didn't he just keep playing? He wasn't good anyway. So I don't care. Best wishes to him.

He said he always wanted to play LB.
Originally posted by LeftBankeNiner:
That's his business. Who cares anymore?

AGREE!!! F-him
  • KRS-1
  • Hall of Fame
Unbelievable that people can't respect a man's decision to move on with his life.
Some could say that Jake Plummer did something similar. Dude's playing handball somewhere now.

I don't think its that Coffee doesn't want to play football, it seems as though he doesn't want to play football when it is not fun for him. Maybe the pressures of the NFL where he just can't go out there and play is what did it. He realized there was a lot more work to do off the field and it probably wasn't fun for him anymore.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Said he didn't want to make football his number one priority in life, which is what it takes to play in the NFL.
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Unbelievable that people can't respect a man's decision to move on with his life.

It's sports man, if this happened at our job, nobody would give a f**k...but it's one of our few ways to escape reality without drugs, and pretend like the world should circle around us, in this case the world being sports...