Not a member? Register Now!

The Official Offseason Thread for the Phoenix Suns

Originally posted by TheSixthRing:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Quote:
Suns To Hire Babby As Head Of Basketball Ops

League sources have said player agent Lon Babby will be the next leader of the Suns' basketball operations, perhaps as a president.

Babby has represented both Hedo Turkoglu and until recently, Childress.

So is it like "Hey, if you can get us Hedo and Childress, we'll put you in charge of our entire organization"?

As Grant Hill's agent, he'd been rumored as a candidate for the GM job - I'm sure his connections to Hedo and Childress didn't hurt his case.

Also, while it's unprecedented, I don't see a huge leap in transitioning from Agent to a GM or President of Bball Ops - both require the ability to juggle player egos while having a knowledge of financial workings, albeit from the opposite end of the spectrum. The question is, does Babby have the foresight and ability to put together a complimentary squad? I guess we'll find out.

Yeah, it's a really interesting move that could theoretically work.

Although trading for two former clients that both play a position that's already filled isn't the most promising start.

While it might work against a few teams, I cringe at the thought of throwing a bunch of small forwards against big front courts such as the one in Portland or LA. Hedo might be 6'10, but I think he'd be giving up way too much weight in most matchups at the 4 spot; hopefully we're still actively pursuing a deal to land us a legit 4.
Al Jefferson is on the Block but I dont know what id want in return
Originally posted by valrod33:
Quote:

League sources have said player agent Lon Babby will be the next leader of the Suns' basketball operations, perhaps as a president.

So is it like "Hey, if you can get us Hedo and Childress, we'll put you in charge of our entire organization"?

As Grant Hill's agent, he'd been rumored as a candidate for the GM job - I'm sure his connections to Hedo and Childress didn't hurt his case.

Also, while it's unprecedented, I don't see a huge leap in transitioning from Agent to a GM or President of Bball Ops - both require the ability to juggle player egos while having a knowledge of financial workings, albeit from the opposite end of the spectrum. The question is, does Babby have the foresight and ability to put together a complimentary squad? I guess we'll find out.

Although trading for two former clients that both play a position that's already filled isn't the most promising start.

While it might work against a few teams, I cringe at the thought of throwing a bunch of small forwards against big front courts such as the one in Portland or LA. Hedo might be 6'10, but I think he'd be giving up way too much weight in most matchups at the 4 spot; hopefully we're still actively pursuing a deal to land us a legit 4.

Matt Bonner, deal
The Kings hired Jason Levien, a player agent, to be their Assistant GM, and there were talks he'd be groomed to eventually replace Petrie.

But he left the team last week after a couple years. Never really heard anything from him.

I don't think it's a bad idea, as long as the guy knows the game. I'm assuming Babby has some more plans for the roster.
Originally posted by dobophile:
Quote:

Matt Bonner, deal

Matt Bonner looks like a guy that would play in Minnesota.
Originally posted by pantstickle:
Originally posted by dobophile:
Quote:

Matt Bonner, deal

Matt Bonner looks like a guy that would play in Minnesota.

That comment is racist
Apparently the Toronto / Phoenix deal is actually 3-team deal involving Charlotte as well.

Diaw will be heading to Toronto. Jose Calderon to Charlotte.

There could be another player from Toronto heading to the Bobcats or the Suns. It'll be interesting to see how this all unfolds.
[ Edited by TheSixthRing on Jul 12, 2010 at 11:06 AM ]
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Hedo to the Suns
Josh Childress as well

Bye Bye Barbosa!
link

• ImaMod
  • Veteran

Nash
JRich
Hill
Turkoglu
Frye

Is that our plan so far or if we dont add a big man? We need a big man
Lopez improved greatly last season compared to his rookie season. I think he should get more playing time.
But that is one deadly shooting team, Nash Jrich and Turkeyglue are all amazing 3 point shooters. Nash will just make Hedo look even better
[ Edited by ImaMod on Jul 15, 2010 at 2:39 PM ]
Yeah, pretty classy move by Amare.

I've criticized his public speaking abilities in the past, but I would hope that would not be confused with the class he has shown. He'd handled himself well despite the numerous trade rumors over the last 3 or so seasons.

It is a shame he could not find a deal that suited him enough to stay in Phoenix, and I do wish him well, but that Knicks team is going to be awful.

Maybe Carmelo and Paul will join him by 2012. We'll see.
Suns officially name Lon Babby President of Basketball Operations.
[ Edited by TheSixthRing on Jul 21, 2010 at 2:16 PM ]
Game 6 of the WCF is on NBATV right now!

Suck it!

Suck it!

Goran Dragic lead his team to gold and won the MVP for the Stankovic Cup tournament.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home