There are 123 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Bigger Event?

Bigger Event?

Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by Conejo:
And Pete, Japan and South Korea co-hosted in 2002

Oh that's right. 2006 was Germany, right?

Originally posted by TheSixthRing:
Depends on what you mean by bigger.

I believe winning a Gold Medal in the Olympics carries more prestige than winning the World Cup.

They're both prestigious but there's no way in hell that winning an Olympic medal is more prestigious than winning gold in the world cup. How many gold Olympic medals are handed out? Like 200. How many world cup gold medals are handed out? one to each member of a squad which is like 22 players plus staff. That's it. And only about 7 countries have ever won the World Cup.
Originally posted by 1251alex:

I believe winning a Gold Medal in the Olympics carries more prestige than winning the World Cup.

They're both prestigious but there's no way in hell that winning an Olympic medal is more prestigious than winning gold in the world cup. How many gold Olympic medals are handed out? Like 200. How many world cup gold medals are handed out? one to each member of a squad which is like 22 players plus staff. That's it. And only about 7 countries have ever won the World Cup.

Go to any country and ask the average person on the street for names of Olympic Gold medal winners. Then ask for names of guys that have won a World Cup.

I guarantee you'll get a lot more names for Gold Medal winners than you will guys that have won a World Cup.
  • Brew
  • Veteran

Go to any country and ask the average person on the street for names of Olympic Gold medal winners. Then ask for names of guys that have won a World Cup.

I guarantee you'll get a lot more names for Gold Medal winners than you will guys that have won a World Cup.

hmmmm?
ask anybody outside the US (besides maybe China) and they'll more than likely say the World Cup
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Super Bowl

I wouldn't be shocked if Wimbledon final had more viewers than the Superbowl
  • dman
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Aussie49er:
Super Bowl

Ya true ... the Champs League Final had more viewers too.

Obviously in this country the SB is king, not so much worldwide.
Originally posted by dman:
Super Bowl

I'd be interested to see how many people watch a Cricket match between Pakistan and India. I think it would be VERY large
Super Bowl

I'd be interested to see how many people watch a Cricket match between Pakistan and India. I think it would be VERY large

pervert
Super Bowl

pervert

FAIL
Grass growing

Very untrue, chances are they'd say pele or maradona. Unless their country has won numerous Olympic gold medals, they wouldn't have a clue.

I was on the field when the USA played Brazil at Stanford in '94.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

I was on the field when the USA played Brazil at Stanford in '94.

Lucky...

Very untrue, chances are they'd say pele or maradona. Unless their country has won numerous Olympic gold medals, they wouldn't have a clue.

I don't think so, but since there has only been 7 nations to win the World Cup, perhaps that wasn't the best example. Instead, perhaps a better one would be to ask people in each country names for it's past and present Olympians, then ask names for it's past and present World Cup players, regardless of Medal Placement or wins in the World Cup.

I still think the Olympians get more recognition in most countries.

[ Edited by TheSixthRing on Feb 12, 2010 at 09:07:31 ]