There are 148 users in the forums

Bigger Event?

Bigger Event?

Originally posted by TheSixthRing:
Originally posted by dman:
Originally posted by Riot:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Let me put it this way...

World Cup = Countries competing against each other in a sport that most of them care about A LOT.

Summer Olympics = Countries competing against each other in sports that they only give a s**t about for 3 weeks every 4 years.

This is the truth.

And dont forget that soccer is also an Olympic event but those countries don't send their best players to the Olympics but rather they save them for the World Cup.

Probably because World Cup = More Money

Correct me if I'm wrong, but teams get paid to play in the World Cup. Olympic teams do not.
be corrected

my pleasure

have a nice day
  • Riot
  • Veteran

World Cup = Countries competing against each other in a sport that most of them care about A LOT.

Summer Olympics = Countries competing against each other in sports that they only give a s**t about for 3 weeks every 4 years.

This is the truth.

And dont forget that soccer is also an Olympic event but those countries don't send their best players to the Olympics but rather they save them for the World Cup.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but teams get paid to play in the World Cup. Olympic teams do not.

That might have something to do with it, but the World Cup simply has more prestige attached to it than the Olympics. Look at the Confederations Cup - a lot of the same teams participate but nobody would choose a Confederations Cup win over a World Cup win.
i dont really know anyone who watches soccer.

to me, Soccer is the equivalent to Lacrosse.
Originally posted by skeetskeet:

that proves it (if anybody ever had doubts)

you're white
Originally posted by Conejo:

you're white

but i dont watch nascar..
World Cup

you're white

but i dont watch nascar..

not a sport

This is the truth.

be corrected

my pleasure

have a nice day

$1,000 to 25K? That's chump change, and that's to the individual performers from their own country. The IOC pays nothing to the athletes or the teams themselves. FIFA, on the other hand, dished out approximately $42,000,000 in 2002 to the participating teams.

And looking at the Salaries for Managers who got their teams to the World Cup this year, it's no wonder they don't want their best players playing in the Olympics.

Besides, soccer is only one of the sports played at the Olympics. Now I'm not saying the World Cup isn't huge, or isn't a more watched event than the Olympics - it is - but I do believe Olympic Gold carries more weight, more prestige, than a World Cup win. That is all.
[ Edited by TheSixthRing on Feb 11, 2010 at 1:56 PM ]
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Tough question. I would think since you have more countries involved in the Olympics that it's bigger worldwide as a whole. I mean do asian nations play soccer? I don't know but if you count them, plus most Americans, that's a good chunk of the population that doesn't care abouit the WC. The Olympics are more all inclusive I think simply because you have many countries competing in an event at once, wheras the soccer games are 2 countries H2H.
Originally posted by TX9R:
Tough question. I would think since you have more countries involved in the Olympics that it's bigger worldwide as a whole. I mean do asian nations play soccer? I don't know but if you count them, plus most Americans, that's a good chunk of the population that doesn't care abouit the WC. The Olympics are more all inclusive I think simply because you have many countries competing in an event at once, wheras the soccer games are 2 countries H2H.

Wasn't the last world cup held in Korea?

• TX9R
  • Veteran

No clue, it was a question. I never really heard of China or Japan being good at soccer though. i know they like baseball and basketball though. Come to think of it, do they have any of their own sports? Ninja-ing?

I mean do asian nations play soccer?

wow, really?

yes Asians are very much into soccer. They have 4 direct spots into the WC from Asian qualifying play, and can have a 5th if their representative wins a playoff match vs the champion of the Oceania Football Confederation.

And Pete, Japan and South Korea co-hosted in 2002
[ Edited by Conejo on Feb 11, 2010 at 2:12 PM ]
  • TX9R
  • Veteran

wow, really?

yes Asians are very much into soccer. They have 4 direct spots into the WC from Asian qualifying play, and can have a 5th if their representative wins a playoff match vs the champion of the Oceania Football Confederation.

What can a I say, I'm an American. I couldn't watch 5 minutes of a soccer game without falling asleep. In fact, for a long time I thought the WC was some big boat race. Turns out that's some other cup.

wow, really?

What can a I say, I'm an American. I couldn't watch 5 minutes of a soccer game without falling asleep. In fact, for a long time I thought the WC was some big boat race. Turns out that's some other cup.

Oh that's right. 2006 was Germany, right?
[ Edited by LA9erFan on Feb 11, 2010 at 2:27 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone