LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 273 users in the forums

Mark McGwire Admits Steroids Usage

Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
So was McGwire trying to tell Costas that he took performance enhancing drugs that didn't enhance his performance???? Why did he do that interview ??

Exactly his ego was starting to get the best of him at certain parts of the interview. he came off real shady after this interview
and now here comes Canseco again

Mark McGwire admitted Monday to using steroids during his career, but Jose Canseco contends McGwire is not being entirely forthcoming about the matter.

Canseco, whose book "Juiced" fueled congressional hearings into performance-enhancing drugs in 2005, revisited one topic Tuesday that he wrote about in the book: that he and McGwire injected each other with steroids in the clubhouse bathroom stalls before games when they were teammates with the Oakland Athletics from 1986 to '92.

McGwire denied that claim in an interview Monday night on the MLB Network, telling interviewer Bob Costas that it wasn't true and that Canseco must have made the claim to help sell "Juiced."

"I've got no problems with a few of the things he's saying, but again, it's ironic and strange that Mark McGwire denies that I injected him with steroids. He's calling me a liar again," Canseco said Tuesday on "The Waddle & Silvy Show" on ESPN 1000. "I've defended Mark, I've said a lot of good things about him, but I can't believe he just called me a liar.

"There is something very strange going on here, and I'm wondering what it is. I even polygraphed that subject matter, that I injected him, and passed it completely. So I want to challenge him on national TV to a polygraph examination. I want to see him call me a liar under a polygraph examination."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4819250
Originally posted by valrod33:

Mark McGwire admitted Monday to using steroids during his career, but Jose Canseco contends McGwire is not being entirely forthcoming about the matter.

Canseco, whose book "Juiced" fueled congressional hearings into performance-enhancing drugs in 2005, revisited one topic Tuesday that he wrote about in the book: that he and McGwire injected each other with steroids in the clubhouse bathroom stalls before games when they were teammates with the Oakland Athletics from 1986 to '92.

McGwire denied that claim in an interview Monday night on the MLB Network, telling interviewer Bob Costas that it wasn't true and that Canseco must have made the claim to help sell "Juiced."

"I've got no problems with a few of the things he's saying, but again, it's ironic and strange that Mark McGwire denies that I injected him with steroids. He's calling me a liar again," Canseco said Tuesday on "The Waddle & Silvy Show" on ESPN 1000. "I've defended Mark, I've said a lot of good things about him, but I can't believe he just called me a liar.

"There is something very strange going on here, and I'm wondering what it is. I even polygraphed that subject matter, that I injected him, and passed it completely. So I want to challenge him on national TV to a polygraph examination. I want to see him call me a liar under a polygraph examination."

He's the worst attention whore in the history of sports. He should probably kill himself, the world would be a better place.
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:

He's the worst attention whore in the history of sports. He should probably kill himself, the world would be a better place.

i actually disagree. he is an attention whore but he did what no one else would. he admitted to using steroids without being pressured to our brought to court or any of that s**t. then he named names.
Originally posted by jdt84_2:

i actually disagree. he is an attention whore but he did what no one else would. he admitted to using steroids without being pressured to our brought to court or any of that s**t. then he named names.

and he did all that to sell books and make money
Originally posted by pantstickle:
Originally posted by jrg:
Originally posted by BigRon:
Originally posted by TheNaitch:
Originally posted by Negrodamus:
I Don't Care. It wasn't against the rules so, I don't care.

Baseball didn't make steroids against the rules until like 03.

I know I will take a lot of heat for this stance But. I don't care if McGwire or Bonds or Sosa or anyone else took Steriods prior to them being a banned substance by MLB. If the Owners and Upper Management were dumb enough to not ban a substance that was against the law when they knew about it in the 70's, the players ...can't be held responsible for using.

Taking steroids doesn't make you a consistent hitter. The strength to hit the ball over the fence as many times as they did, yes. But the talent to be able to hit a 95+ mile an hour pitch as often as they did is not thanks to steroids.

It's still cheating, and I hope the Hall of Fame sends a message to the roiders and keeps 'em out.

SOOOOOOO, no HOF's from 1985 to now?
  • TX9R
  • Veteran

Regardless of his reasons, he has to be the biggest figure on baseball of the decade. And he didn't even play.
Originally posted by dobophile:
When will we truly appreciate the all-time greatness of Ken Griffey Jr.?

I know right, i miss watching that guy
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by pantstickle:

I know I will take a lot of heat for this stance But. I don't care if McGwire or Bonds or Sosa or anyone else took Steriods prior to them being a banned substance by MLB. If the Owners and Upper Management were dumb enough to not ban a substance that was against the law when they knew about it in the 70's, the players ...can't be held responsible for using.

Taking steroids doesn't make you a consistent hitter. The strength to hit the ball over the fence as many times as they did, yes. But the talent to be able to hit a 95+ mile an hour pitch as often as they did is not thanks to steroids.

It's still cheating, and I hope the Hall of Fame sends a message to the roiders and keeps 'em out.

Technically, it wasn't cheating.

If something is against US law, I'm pretty sure it's not allowed in a sport.

hmm. now what if they had a doctor's prescription? even if it was for an insane amount, who are they to question a doctor?

Seriously he's been so overlooked in all this and deserves to get some praise from the media, but instead they just like to report on the negativity of things.

Originally posted by silkyjohnson:

Wouldn't 'roids give you a faster swing? Therefore giving you a bit more time to decipher a pitch? How else would you explain the crazy rise and drop-off in BA during Mark, Sammy and Bonds' "peak" years?

i don't know much about sammy and mark. but bonds wasn't some huge rise. he was always right around .300. it was only the 2 years where he had some huge rise. but if that is criteria, joe mauer must be juicing his BA raised 40 points.

i decided to look it up. 1st mcgwire can't really be judged because he used most of his career. and sosa didn't have a huge rise in BA. his stats fit a natural curve.

i think bonds is more an example of what roids can do for an already great player.
Originally posted by NinerFanMT:

Seriously he's been so overlooked in all this and deserves to get some praise from the media, but instead they just like to report on the negativity of things.

I know right, i miss watching that guy

Griffey is the greatest baseball talent I have ever seen. Were it not for injuries, he would have probably broken Aaron's record . . . cleanly.

Who know, though? Maybe he cheated, too.

yeah i feel bad for non roiders in this era. i do not know if griffey falls in there or not. but every player should be under suspicion.

and he did all that to sell books and make money

Exactly. Why else would you be coming out saying McGwire is lying about you injecting him? That's some pretty questionable s**t to be saying. People already know what you said, no one read your book. GTFO!
Share 49ersWebzone