Mark McGwire Admits Steroids Usage

Originally posted by jrg:
Originally posted by pantstickle:
Originally posted by BigRon:
Originally posted by TheNaitch:
Originally posted by Negrodamus:
I Don't Care. It wasn't against the rules so, I don't care.

Baseball didn't make steroids against the rules until like 03.

I know I will take a lot of heat for this stance But. I don't care if McGwire or Bonds or Sosa or anyone else took Steriods prior to them being a banned substance by MLB. If the Owners and Upper Management were dumb enough to not ban a substance that was against the law when they knew about it in the 70's, the players ...can't be held responsible for using.

Taking steroids doesn't make you a consistent hitter. The strength to hit the ball over the fence as many times as they did, yes. But the talent to be able to hit a 95+ mile an hour pitch as often as they did is not thanks to steroids.

It's still cheating, and I hope the Hall of Fame sends a message to the roiders and keeps 'em out.

Technically, it wasn't cheating.

If something is against US law, I'm pretty sure it's not allowed in a sport.

I know I will take a lot of heat for this stance But. I don't care if McGwire or Bonds or Sosa or anyone else took Steriods prior to them being a banned substance by MLB. If the Owners and Upper Management were dumb enough to not ban a substance that was against the law when they knew about it in the 70's, the players ...can't be held responsible for using.

Taking steroids doesn't make you a consistent hitter. The strength to hit the ball over the fence as many times as they did, yes. But the talent to be able to hit a 95+ mile an hour pitch as often as they did is not thanks to steroids.

It's still cheating, and I hope the Hall of Fame sends a message to the roiders and keeps 'em out.

Against state and federal law, maybe, but not cheating.
  • jrg
  • Veteran

Technically, it wasn't against the rules. If it wasn't cheating, then there would be no reason to hide it and deny it.

Agreed completely. I don't agree with it what-so-ever, but I don't think many people look at it the way Ron is. It wasn't a banned substance at the time.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

Stoney, don't get me started on you about banned substances.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

Stoney, don't get me started on you about banned substances.

Well done lol
Originally posted by LA9erFan:

Technically, all of the St. Louis Tardinal fans that have been giving me and all other Giants fans sh*t for the past 6 years can lick my grundle.

[ Edited by Legbreaker on Jan 11, 2010 at 21:14:43 ]
Originally posted by LA9erFan:

NASCAR vehicles travel at over 200 miles per hour, while the top speed for any road in the US is 80 MPH. Also, explain the spittie/slurpie!

• jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Legbreaker:

Technically, all of the St. Louis Tardinal fans that have been giving me and all other Giants fans sh*t for the past 6 years can lick my grundle.

Hahaha. Ah, Legbreaker...I need to make it out to a Cardinals/Giants game.

Wouldn't 'roids give you a faster swing? Therefore giving you a bit more time to decipher a pitch? How else would you explain the crazy rise and drop-off in BA during Mark, Sammy and Bonds' "peak" years?

• zero
  • Veteran
This news is sooooooooooo five years ago
Originally posted by Legbreaker:

Hahaha. Ah, Legbreaker...I need to make it out to a Cardinals/Giants game.

You should! It would ROCK!!!!!!!!!

Make it happen, amigo
So was McGwire trying to tell Costas that he took performance enhancing drugs that didn't enhance his performance???? Why did he do that interview ??

• BobS
  • Veteran
Steroids weren't against the rules but they were against the LAW. I would not think a sport should need to make a rule banning an illegal activity, anyone should assume an illegal activity would violate the rules of a sport.
Share 49ersWebzone