There are 96 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Patrick Willis or Tim Lincecum?

Patrick Willis or Tim Lincecum?

Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by j3xperience:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Willis. He plays every game, Timmy only plays a 5th of them(obviously). Yeah he's a great pitcher but PWilly should probably be the DPOY if he was on a slightly better team. In NFL DPOY goes to a guy who has a great year on a great team(this year Woodson, last year I think it might've been Haynesworth?). In the MLB you can win a Cy Young without being on a team that made the playoffs(timmy last 2 years, Greinke). So I don't see how you can hold that against Willis. He plays every game for his team and he's the best defensive player in the NFL. I'd love to see what he could do if we got more creative with him, he's already good for like 3 sacks and 3 ints in a season. He could probably get 5 a piece if we got more creative with him. We need to use more blitzes up the middle with him.

willis hasnt won DPOY, he won the DRPOY if im not mistaken. im not knocking it but its easier to win than DPOY.

this would be like saying lincecum won a lesser award, but cy young is the best award he could get as a pitcher and did it back to back. thats phenomenal.

Willis would be DPOY easy if he played on a playoff team like MN or AZ or GB. Wouldn't be close dude. Yeah Timmy won the Cy twice, but he's only going up against NL guys and you don't have to be on a great team to win that award. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Lincecum fan, I love the giants, I just think PWillis is about the same as far as how good they ACTUALLY are, not just percieved to be, and I think Willis will be better in the future when he's on a good team.

I disagee.

Two of the last 5 DPOY's (Jason Taylor and Ed Reed) have been from non-playoff teams. It can be won with a complete season (with either a lot of sacks or INT). Patty made huge strides this year in that regard with 4 sacks and 3 INT, but he's not there yet.

Only going up against NL guys? Huh? I don't see how that is an argument against Timmy. Does Willis face a bigger task when he goes against AFC guys? Not necessarily. And Timmy did face the AL and went 2-1 with 1.38 ERA.

And a big thing is face recognition. Lincecum is recognizable. Willis is not there yet.

Love both guys, but Timmy is the bigger SF sports star.
I love Willis, but what Lincecum has already achieved... I don't even have the words to describe it properly.
Originally posted by SacRock14:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by j3xperience:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Willis. He plays every game, Timmy only plays a 5th of them(obviously). Yeah he's a great pitcher but PWilly should probably be the DPOY if he was on a slightly better team. In NFL DPOY goes to a guy who has a great year on a great team(this year Woodson, last year I think it might've been Haynesworth?). In the MLB you can win a Cy Young without being on a team that made the playoffs(timmy last 2 years, Greinke). So I don't see how you can hold that against Willis. He plays every game for his team and he's the best defensive player in the NFL. I'd love to see what he could do if we got more creative with him, he's already good for like 3 sacks and 3 ints in a season. He could probably get 5 a piece if we got more creative with him. We need to use more blitzes up the middle with him.

willis hasnt won DPOY, he won the DRPOY if im not mistaken. im not knocking it but its easier to win than DPOY.

this would be like saying lincecum won a lesser award, but cy young is the best award he could get as a pitcher and did it back to back. thats phenomenal.

Willis would be DPOY easy if he played on a playoff team like MN or AZ or GB. Wouldn't be close dude. Yeah Timmy won the Cy twice, but he's only going up against NL guys and you don't have to be on a great team to win that award. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Lincecum fan, I love the giants, I just think PWillis is about the same as far as how good they ACTUALLY are, not just percieved to be, and I think Willis will be better in the future when he's on a good team.

I disagee.

Two of the last 5 DPOY's (Jason Taylor and Ed Reed) have been from non-playoff teams. It can be won with a complete season (with either a lot of sacks or INT). Patty made huge strides this year in that regard with 4 sacks and 3 INT, but he's not there yet.

Only going up against NL guys? Huh? I don't see how that is an argument against Timmy. Does Willis face a bigger task when he goes against AFC guys? Not necessarily. And Timmy did face the AL and went 2-1 with 1.38 ERA.

And a big thing is face recognition. Lincecum is recognizable. Willis is not there yet.

Love both guys, but Timmy is the bigger SF sports star.

No I meant that Timmy is only competing for NL guys in the award. Plenty of AFC players win DPOY all the time. THere's 2 cy youngs, 1 al and 1 NL, so he doesn't have to worry about the AL pitchers doing better.
Originally posted by Niners99:
to be fair, neither player should be knocked for their situation. lincecum pitching every 5th day vs Willis playing every game has nothing to do with eachother. its how you perform when you play.

being on a 49ers board where Patrick Willis is universally loved, im kind of surprised Lincecum is keeping up. but its probably deserved. i voted Lincecum myself, due to the sheer difficulty and rarity of winning 2 CY awards in a whole career, let alone his first 2 seasons in the majors.

however, people dont seem to be recognizing that Patrick Willis will now be "All-Pro" for all 3 seasons hes played. which despite not winning a DPOY award, still means he is the BEST at his position in the entire NFL bar none, just like Lincecum.

its very close.

You won't get an accurate (unbiased) number here. I've already seen a couple non-Giants fans chime in here. It's a wonder that Timmy's still ahead of the poll.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by SacRock14:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by j3xperience:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Willis. He plays every game, Timmy only plays a 5th of them(obviously). Yeah he's a great pitcher but PWilly should probably be the DPOY if he was on a slightly better team. In NFL DPOY goes to a guy who has a great year on a great team(this year Woodson, last year I think it might've been Haynesworth?). In the MLB you can win a Cy Young without being on a team that made the playoffs(timmy last 2 years, Greinke). So I don't see how you can hold that against Willis. He plays every game for his team and he's the best defensive player in the NFL. I'd love to see what he could do if we got more creative with him, he's already good for like 3 sacks and 3 ints in a season. He could probably get 5 a piece if we got more creative with him. We need to use more blitzes up the middle with him.

willis hasnt won DPOY, he won the DRPOY if im not mistaken. im not knocking it but its easier to win than DPOY.

this would be like saying lincecum won a lesser award, but cy young is the best award he could get as a pitcher and did it back to back. thats phenomenal.

Willis would be DPOY easy if he played on a playoff team like MN or AZ or GB. Wouldn't be close dude. Yeah Timmy won the Cy twice, but he's only going up against NL guys and you don't have to be on a great team to win that award. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Lincecum fan, I love the giants, I just think PWillis is about the same as far as how good they ACTUALLY are, not just percieved to be, and I think Willis will be better in the future when he's on a good team.

I disagee.

Two of the last 5 DPOY's (Jason Taylor and Ed Reed) have been from non-playoff teams. It can be won with a complete season (with either a lot of sacks or INT). Patty made huge strides this year in that regard with 4 sacks and 3 INT, but he's not there yet.

Only going up against NL guys? Huh? I don't see how that is an argument against Timmy. Does Willis face a bigger task when he goes against AFC guys? Not necessarily. And Timmy did face the AL and went 2-1 with 1.38 ERA.

And a big thing is face recognition. Lincecum is recognizable. Willis is not there yet.

Love both guys, but Timmy is the bigger SF sports star.

No I meant that Timmy is only competing for NL guys in the award. Plenty of AFC players win DPOY all the time. THere's 2 cy youngs, 1 al and 1 NL, so he doesn't have to worry about the AL pitchers doing better.

Ah, ok. I misunderstood that part.
  • crzy
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 39,280
Patrick Willis is the best linebacker in the NFL. Probably the best defensive player in the NFL.

But he has not accomplished what Tim Lincecum has. Not even close.
i'd sleep with both..



oh wait..
Originally posted by HaiGuise:
Originally posted by Niners99:
to be fair, neither player should be knocked for their situation. lincecum pitching every 5th day vs Willis playing every game has nothing to do with eachother. its how you perform when you play.

being on a 49ers board where Patrick Willis is universally loved, im kind of surprised Lincecum is keeping up. but its probably deserved. i voted Lincecum myself, due to the sheer difficulty and rarity of winning 2 CY awards in a whole career, let alone his first 2 seasons in the majors.

however, people dont seem to be recognizing that Patrick Willis will now be "All-Pro" for all 3 seasons hes played. which despite not winning a DPOY award, still means he is the BEST at his position in the entire NFL bar none, just like Lincecum.

its very close.

You won't get an accurate (unbiased) number here. I've already seen a couple non-Giants fans chime in here. It's a wonder that Timmy's still ahead of the poll.

What? Pretty much everyone besides me said Timmy, and I'm a Giants fan and I'm the only one I think who said Willis.
Originally posted by bayarealuv:
i'd sleep with both..



oh wait..

at the same time??
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by HaiGuise:
Originally posted by Niners99:
to be fair, neither player should be knocked for their situation. lincecum pitching every 5th day vs Willis playing every game has nothing to do with eachother. its how you perform when you play.

being on a 49ers board where Patrick Willis is universally loved, im kind of surprised Lincecum is keeping up. but its probably deserved. i voted Lincecum myself, due to the sheer difficulty and rarity of winning 2 CY awards in a whole career, let alone his first 2 seasons in the majors.

however, people dont seem to be recognizing that Patrick Willis will now be "All-Pro" for all 3 seasons hes played. which despite not winning a DPOY award, still means he is the BEST at his position in the entire NFL bar none, just like Lincecum.

its very close.

You won't get an accurate (unbiased) number here. I've already seen a couple non-Giants fans chime in here. It's a wonder that Timmy's still ahead of the poll.

What? Pretty much everyone besides me said Timmy, and I'm a Giants fan and I'm the only one I think who said Willis.

Not sure if you saw the post by a Cards fan in here.
  • BigRon
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 14,778
Timmy wins not because of his awards but because he looks like everyman and most Sports fans can recognize him. Willis is known as an awesome Linebacker that NO ONE would recognize if they saw him on the street.
I'd be happy to have just one stud player on the SF teams to compete with being the best in their sport/position. To have two to even make this a discussion is awesome.
Whoever takes their team to the playoffs first.
Originally posted by crzy:
Patrick Willis is the best linebacker in the NFL. Probably the best defensive player in the NFL.

But he has not accomplished what Tim Lincecum has. Not even close.

Amen to this. Like I said ealier... Lincecum by a mile. His accomlishments FAR exceed anything that Willis has had to this point. I cant believe anyone could actually vote for Willis unless they are totally biased.
Ace pitchers (like Lincecum) are to a baseball team what QB's are to their football team. They'll always get more recognition. It's just the nature of the beast.