LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 264 users in the forums

Patrick Willis or Tim Lincecum?

Patrick Willis or Tim Lincecum?

This poll is for all 49ers AND Giants fans. who do you think is the bigger superstar in SF? i know, unstoppable force vs. immovable object, but just for fun, vote for one of them.

they both came out of the gate as elite talents who took little time to get acclimated and start dominating their sports.

3 straight pro bowls for Willis to begin his career, soon to be 3 time All-Pro, well on his way to a HOF career if he stays healthy. since his rookie season, he leads the entire NFL by far in total tackles, with an amazing 467 combined tackles in just 3 seasons.

Lincecum has won the NL CY twice in his first 2 full seasons as a major leaguer, and is 40-17 with a 2.90 career ERA and has struck out 676 batters in just 598.2 career innings, with an incredible 68 quality starts in just 89 career starts. thats about 76% of his starts have been quality starts.

Both are clearly HOF talents, bot are the absolute best at what they do in their sports, and were very lucky as a fanbase to have gotten them on our teams.
[ Edited by Niners99 on Jan 6, 2010 at 6:00 AM ]
This was discussed here a few months back. If I recall, Lincecum had Willis beat.
Originally posted by HaiGuise:
This was discussed here a few months back. If I recall, Lincecum had Willis beat.

That was in baseball season.

-9fA
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by HaiGuise:

That was in baseball season.

-9fA

I'm a fan of both, but I still think Lincecum has it over Willis at this point in time. Timmy's the best pitcher in the game and has proven that with his two Cy Young awards. I think Patrick's going to need a couple of DPOY awards in order to catch up to Timmy.

One thing that Timmy has in his favor is that he's King of the K in baseball. While Patrick is known as a beast and a tackling machine, the 'K' is a much more sexy statistic than a regular tackle.
Lincecum by a mile.
Lincecum right now but if patrick willis gets at least one DPOY award he would be closer but Lincecum has his number right now and is more popular.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Lincecum
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Right now: Lincecum

End of their careers: Willis
Originally posted by jrg:
Right now: Lincecum

End of their careers: Willis

better knock on wood he stay. (both of them actaully)
Willis. He plays every game, Timmy only plays a 5th of them(obviously). Yeah he's a great pitcher but PWilly should probably be the DPOY if he was on a slightly better team. In NFL DPOY goes to a guy who has a great year on a great team(this year Woodson, last year I think it might've been Haynesworth?). In the MLB you can win a Cy Young without being on a team that made the playoffs(timmy last 2 years, Greinke). So I don't see how you can hold that against Willis. He plays every game for his team and he's the best defensive player in the NFL. I'd love to see what he could do if we got more creative with him, he's already good for like 3 sacks and 3 ints in a season. He could probably get 5 a piece if we got more creative with him. We need to use more blitzes up the middle with him.

Back to back Cy Young awards in his first 2 full seasons says it all
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Willis. He plays every game, Timmy only plays a 5th of them(obviously). Yeah he's a great pitcher but PWilly should probably be the DPOY if he was on a slightly better team. In NFL DPOY goes to a guy who has a great year on a great team(this year Woodson, last year I think it might've been Haynesworth?). In the MLB you can win a Cy Young without being on a team that made the playoffs(timmy last 2 years, Greinke). So I don't see how you can hold that against Willis. He plays every game for his team and he's the best defensive player in the NFL. I'd love to see what he could do if we got more creative with him, he's already good for like 3 sacks and 3 ints in a season. He could probably get 5 a piece if we got more creative with him. We need to use more blitzes up the middle with him.

willis hasnt won DPOY, he won the DRPOY if im not mistaken. im not knocking it but its easier to win than DPOY.

this would be like saying lincecum won a lesser award, but cy young is the best award he could get as a pitcher and did it back to back. thats phenomenal.
Originally posted by j3xperience:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

willis hasnt won DPOY, he won the DRPOY if im not mistaken. im not knocking it but its easier to win than DPOY.

this would be like saying lincecum won a lesser award, but cy young is the best award he could get as a pitcher and did it back to back. thats phenomenal.

Willis would be DPOY easy if he played on a playoff team like MN or AZ or GB. Wouldn't be close dude. Yeah Timmy won the Cy twice, but he's only going up against NL guys and you don't have to be on a great team to win that award. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Lincecum fan, I love the giants, I just think PWillis is about the same as far as how good they ACTUALLY are, not just percieved to be, and I think Willis will be better in the future when he's on a good team.
Just by recognition alone I'd have to go with Lincecum. The guy has won two Cy Youngs. That's creme of the crop stuff right there.

But really I think an Ace pitcher of Lincecum's caliber will always beat an outstanding NFL player that plays for a mediocre team. If the Niners were an elite team, no doubt Willis would be up there or even surpass Timmy.
to be fair, neither player should be knocked for their situation. lincecum pitching every 5th day vs Willis playing every game has nothing to do with eachother. its how you perform when you play.

being on a 49ers board where Patrick Willis is universally loved, im kind of surprised Lincecum is keeping up. but its probably deserved. i voted Lincecum myself, due to the sheer difficulty and rarity of winning 2 CY awards in a whole career, let alone his first 2 seasons in the majors.

however, people dont seem to be recognizing that Patrick Willis will now be "All-Pro" for all 3 seasons hes played. which despite not winning a DPOY award, still means he is the BEST at his position in the entire NFL bar none, just like Lincecum.

its very close.
[ Edited by Niners99 on Jan 6, 2010 at 1:41 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone