There are 59 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

status of barry bonds trial--what do you think/hope happens

Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
I disagree that Bonds is being singled out. He's not on trial because he took steroids, he's on trial because he allegedly lied to the grand jury. Roger Clemens is going to be on trial for the same reason.

I also think it's pretty naive to believe that Bonds didn't know he was taking steroids. I think it's fairly obvious that he lied to the grand jury, it's just a matter of whether or not it can be proven. I think he'll walk, but he definitely knew what he was taking.

I agree with this. All Bonds had to do was simply admit that he took steroids and all would have been forgiven. Arod and Pettitte survived just fine after they admitted to it. Just like Clemens, Bonds was too proud, arrogant, and dillusional to admit the truth.

This case is not about going after Bonds for roids. Its about lying to a grand jury. In my opinion there is no question that he got up on the stand and blatantly lied to protect his records and his legacy.

I do agree that it is a waste of tax payers money, that he will be found not guilty, and that nothing will have been gained from the trial.

sounds about right.
Originally posted by Legbreaker:
I disagree that Bonds is being singled out. He's not on trial because he took steroids, he's on trial because he allegedly lied to the grand jury. Roger Clemens is going to be on trial for the same reason.

I also think it's pretty naive to believe that Bonds didn't know he was taking steroids. I think it's fairly obvious that he lied to the grand jury, it's just a matter of whether or not it can be proven. I think he'll walk, but he definitely knew what he was taking.

C'mon Pete...others lied, too.

A-Rod lied. Ramirez lied. Sosa lied. McGuire lied. Pudge lied. A host of others lied, too. Hell...Palmiero perjured himself before CONGRESS...and was pardoned for it.

The thing is, when the hitters that were using were packing parks with monster home runs and the pitchers who were using were throwing 98 MPH+, throwing perfect games, rolling up saves like spare change and reviving a game that was on life support after a nasty labor spat, no one gave a damn.

Bonds is being singled out as poster boy for the steroid era and this entire "perjury" trial is a sham.

If you want to prosecute one, then prosecute them all. Make it fair, or make it go away.

THAT ^^^

/THREAD

A-Rod lied. Ramirez lied. Sosa lied. McGuire lied. Pudge lied. A host of others lied, too. Hell...Palmiero perjured himself before CONGRESS...and was pardoned for it.

The thing is, when the hitters that were using were packing parks with monster home runs and the pitchers who were using were throwing 98 MPH+, throwing perfect games, rolling up saves like spare change and reviving a game that was on life support after a nasty labor spat, no one gave a damn.

Bonds is being singled out as poster boy for the steroid era and this entire "perjury" trial is a sham.

If you want to prosecute one, then prosecute them all. Make it fair, or make it go away.

The fact that all these guys were called upon by Congress was a joke and a waste of government money. They may as well have brought the entire WWE to Congress as there have been many deaths possibly related to the abuse performance enhancements. Or what about actors such as Sly Stallone using steroids to quickly alter their bodies for roles? Isn't all that the same s**t...making money.
[ Edited by Joecool on Apr 6, 2011 at 9:49 AM ]
Originally posted by IdentityCrisis:

I agree with this. All Bonds had to do was simply admit that he took steroids and all would have been forgiven. Arod and Pettitte survived just fine after they admitted to it. Just like Clemens, Bonds was too proud, arrogant, and dillusional to admit the truth.

This case is not about going after Bonds for roids. Its about lying to a grand jury. In my opinion there is no question that he got up on the stand and blatantly lied to protect his records and his legacy.

I do agree that it is a waste of tax payers money, that he will be found not guilty, and that nothing will have been gained from the trial.

sounds about right.

Palamero didn't admit to it and lied but he wasn't called in for perjury. Bonds is being singled out and this is all a joke. Maybe there's a bitter congressman who's great great grandpa was Babe Ruth and he wants Bonds to be dirtied.

Clemens is a different story. He kept poking the pit bull and telling it he can kill it whereas Bonds was just trying to stay as far away as he could.
[ Edited by Joecool on Apr 6, 2011 at 9:52 AM ]

Many lied, no doubt. But I think the only ones that perjured themselves were Bonds, Clemens, Sosa, & Palmeiro. McGwire refused to answer the question in front of Congress, and I don't think that A-Rod, Pudge, Ramirez, Tejada, or others testified on this.

Bonds would have a fair claim at being "singled out" on this if Clemens wasn't being pursued for this as well. I don't know the rationale in pursuing Bonds/Clemens but not Sosa/Palmeiro, and it definitely seems unfair. But Bonds isn't alone in this.

It also makes sense that Bonds is the first person to face charges, being that the date of his alleged perjury (Balco, 2003) was before the Congressional Hearings in 2005 or Clemens' in 2009.
BTW...I actually like Bonds. I think he's a great example of how vindictive sports media can be when covering someone they're supposed to be impartial about. I just think that the most likely scenario in all of this is the Bonds knowingly took steroids, perjured himself in saying that he didn't, and that he isn't being singled out, as Clemens is being charged as well and the government has no vendetta that I know of to go after Bonds instead of others.
Originally posted by Joecool:

sounds about right.

Palamero didn't admit to it and lied but he wasn't called in for perjury. Bonds is being singled out and this is all a joke. Maybe there's a bitter congressman who's great great grandpa was Babe Ruth and he wants Bonds to be dirtied.

Clemens is a different story. He kept poking the pit bull and telling it he can kill it whereas Bonds was just trying to stay as far away as he could.

Bonds is on trial for his testimony in the Federal Government's case against BALCO.

Palmeiro and others lied to Congress in a hearing on steroids in baseball.
Originally posted by redrathman:

sounds about right.

Bonds is on trial for his testimony in the Federal Government's case against BALCO.

Each case is perjury though. And I believe Clemens' testimony to Congress was in a hearing as well, not a trial, and he's still been indicted on perjury charges.
Originally posted by redrathman:

sounds about right.

Each case is perjury though. And I believe Clemens' testimony to Congress was in a hearing as well, not a trial, and he's still been indicted on perjury charges.

I think Clemens is being pursued only because he dove into the fire and initiated all contact himself further digging himself into a deeper hole. I don't think he would be pursued if he simply kept his mouth shut and tried to stay away from the situation.

Bonds' statements were far different in that he only referenced unknowingly taking steroids. He never said he never took steroids as some others have.
this guy Anderson that goes to jail rather than testify--do you think he is world's most loyal friend, or did he get paid off?
Originally posted by hofer36:
this guy Anderson that goes to jail rather than testify--do you think he is world's most loyal friend, or did he get paid off?

he's probably already wealthy
Originally posted by vrabbit:

THAT ^^^

/THREAD

Judicial economy. Do you really want DOJ to invest major time/money into pursuing everybody?

DOJ is going for the biggest target to send as much of a signal as it can that it will pursue perjury, no matter who you are. Even if Bonds gets off, I have to think the image of him going to trial for perjury will at least leave a lasting impression on the public of the risk of perjury, which is the true goal here IMO.
  • Otter
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by hofer36:

he's probably already wealthy

He got paid, son
While i agree that Bonds screwed himself to cover his baseball legacy by lying to the grand jury, i also dont think it wouldve been as simple as telling the truth like some of the other players did. everyone who isnt a Giants fan pretty much hates Bonds' guts. the media hates Bonds even more than the fans. while fan favorites like Andy Pettitte could just admit and apologize, Bonds wouldnt have been forgiven the same.

But, it does look like hes going to get away with it. they have no real proof that he didnt know what he was taking. theres no actual evidence that isnt hearsay. no video tapes of him admitted he knows exactly what he took.
Originally posted by Niners99:
While i agree that Bonds screwed himself to cover his baseball legacy by lying to the grand jury, i also dont think it wouldve been as simple as telling the truth like some of the other players did. everyone who isnt a Giants fan pretty much hates Bonds' guts. the media hates Bonds even more than the fans. while fan favorites like Andy Pettitte could just admit and apologize, Bonds wouldnt have been forgiven the same.

But, it does look like hes going to get away with it. they have no real proof that he didnt know what he was taking. theres no actual evidence that isnt hearsay. no video tapes of him admitted he knows exactly what he took.

white
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home