LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 288 users in the forums

status of barry bonds trial--what do you think/hope happens

Originally posted by SFL49ER:
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Not guilty! Regardless he will still be one of my favorite athletes.

One of your favorite atletes? Your standards are hella low my man. Im not asking offensively, but what years of Barry did you watch with the most intent?

I just can't believe anyone would have any respect for this douchebag of a player

He might be a douche bag of a person, but he's one of the best ball players ever, and anyone that denies it is hopelessly deluded...including the putz that wrote I am the "worst father of all time" for taking my kid to see him play.

Barry did what every other player of his era did (including the pitchers he routinely destroyed).

He's being singled out for it...at best it's an improper attempt at "justice" and at worst it represents unequal protection under the law. Either way, this whole trial is a joke.
Quote:
The only spicy moment came when Prosecutor Matt Parrella asked Leung on redirect whether the lab tested the sample for clomid, an estrogen linked to steroid users who try to counteract the side effects of steroids. The questioning is apparently out of bounds under pretrial rulings, but Parrella insisted the door had been opened up by a line of defense questioning. After an animated sidebar conference out of the jury's earshot, U.S. District Judge Susan Illston cut off the questioning.

It could have been important to undercut the defense's argument that Bonds did not know when he took "the clear" that he was ingesting a steroid. Clomid, as an adjunct to steroid use, would be more difficult to rationalize under the I-ididn't-know theory.
Originally posted by Legbreaker:
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Not guilty! Regardless he will still be one of my favorite athletes.

One of your favorite atletes? Your standards are hella low my man. Im not asking offensively, but what years of Barry did you watch with the most intent?

I just can't believe anyone would have any respect for this douchebag of a player

He might be a douche bag of a person, but he's one of the best ball players ever, and anyone that denies it is hopelessly deluded...including the putz that wrote I am the "worst father of all time" for taking my kid to see him play.

Barry did what every other player of his era did (including the pitchers he routinely destroyed).

He's being singled out for it...at best it's an improper attempt at "justice" and at worst it represents unequal protection under the law. Either way, this whole trial is a joke.

This times a million. This trial pisses me off so much about the priorities of how the government spends our money while there are increasing class sizes and we keep falling behind other countries.

Everyone knows that someone in a group of wrong doers will be made an example of and you pick the one that is easiest to punish. They went about this all wrong and picked the wrong guy. We have idiots in the government who's only skill to get there was to keep a clean of an image as possible but totally disregard their actual ability to fill the role.
Can't a petition or anything be signed by the population to freaking stop this trial?
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Quote:
The only spicy moment came when Prosecutor Matt Parrella asked Leung on redirect whether the lab tested the sample for clomid, an estrogen linked to steroid users who try to counteract the side effects of steroids. The questioning is apparently out of bounds under pretrial rulings, but Parrella insisted the door had been opened up by a line of defense questioning. After an animated sidebar conference out of the jury's earshot, U.S. District Judge Susan Illston cut off the questioning.

It could have been important to undercut the defense's argument that Bonds did not know when he took "the clear" that he was ingesting a steroid. Clomid, as an adjunct to steroid use, would be more difficult to rationalize under the I-ididn't-know theory.

One small problem: Clomid is taken by supplement users that aren't taking steroids.

I took norandro 19 (not a steroid) along with some other prohormones and anabolic componds which weren't steroids either back in 1998-2002.

Clomid was recommended as an "off cycle" supplement, and was available over the counter.

Any attorney worth their salt can rip a Clomid test to pieces.
I disagree that Bonds is being singled out. He's not on trial because he took steroids, he's on trial because he allegedly lied to the grand jury. Roger Clemens is going to be on trial for the same reason.

I also think it's pretty naive to believe that Bonds didn't know he was taking steroids. I think it's fairly obvious that he lied to the grand jury, it's just a matter of whether or not it can be proven. I think he'll walk, but he definitely knew what he was taking.
  • Otter
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
I disagree that Bonds is being singled out. He's not on trial because he took steroids, he's on trial because he allegedly lied to the grand jury. Roger Clemens is going to be on trial for the same reason.

I also think it's pretty naive to believe that Bonds didn't know he was taking steroids. I think it's fairly obvious that he lied to the grand jury, it's just a matter of whether or not it can be proven. I think he'll walk, but he definitely knew what he was taking.

This.

He knew, but I agree with the sentiment that there are better things to do with the court's time.

C'mon Pete...others lied, too.

A-Rod lied. Ramirez lied. Sosa lied. McGuire lied. Pudge lied. A host of others lied, too. Hell...Palmiero perjured himself before CONGRESS...and was pardoned for it.

The thing is, when the hitters that were using were packing parks with monster home runs and the pitchers who were using were throwing 98 MPH+, throwing perfect games, rolling up saves like spare change and reviving a game that was on life support after a nasty labor spat, no one gave a damn.

Bonds is being singled out as poster boy for the steroid era and this entire "perjury" trial is a sham.

If you want to prosecute one, then prosecute them all. Make it fair, or make it go away.
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
Originally posted by teeohh:
not guilty!
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

A-Rod lied. Ramirez lied. Sosa lied. McGuire lied. Pudge lied. A host of others lied, too. Hell...Palmiero perjured himself before CONGRESS...and was pardoned for it.

The thing is, when the hitters that were using were packing parks with monster home runs and the pitchers who were using were throwing 98 MPH+, throwing perfect games, rolling up saves like spare change and reviving a game that was on life support after a nasty labor spat, no one gave a damn.

Bonds is being singled out as poster boy for the steroid era and this entire "perjury" trial is a sham.

If you want to prosecute one, then prosecute them all. Make it fair, or make it go away.

...to add to that - MLB revealed a LOT of names who were tested for steroids or were under suspicion of taking them, but only the big stars were asked to come in front of congress to tell the truth. Why not everyone else? What kind of standard is that?

Originally posted by ads_2006:
Quote:

One small problem: Clomid is taken by supplement users that aren't taking steroids.

I took norandro 19 (not a steroid) along with some other prohormones and anabolic componds which weren't steroids either back in 1998-2002.

Clomid was recommended as an "off cycle" supplement, and was available over the counter.

Any attorney worth their salt can rip a Clomid test to pieces.

thank you for that information
Quote:
U.S. District Judge Susan Illston started the day finalizing several rulings on issues that must be decided before the Bonds case reaches the jury. Federal prosecutors this morning decided to abandon one of the four perjury counts against Bonds, rather than contest the defense's argument that the
Advertisement
government failed to present sufficient evidence to support the charge during the trial. As a result, Bonds now faces three counts of perjury and one count of obstructing justice for lying to a federal grand jury in December 2003 about using steroids. The now-abandoned charge dealt with allegations Bonds lied about using the "cream" and "the clear" before the 2003 baseball season.

Closing arguments set for Thursday, Jury will begin to deliberate Friday at the latest

I agree with this. All Bonds had to do was simply admit that he took steroids and all would have been forgiven. Arod and Pettitte survived just fine after they admitted to it. Just like Clemens, Bonds was too proud, arrogant, and dillusional to admit the truth.

This case is not about going after Bonds for roids. Its about lying to a grand jury. In my opinion there is no question that he got up on the stand and blatantly lied to protect his records and his legacy.

I do agree that it is a waste of tax payers money, that he will be found not guilty, and that nothing will have been gained from the trial.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

I agree with this. All Bonds had to do was simply admit that he took steroids and all would have been forgiven. Arod and Pettitte survived just fine after they admitted to it. Just like Clemens, Bonds was too proud, arrogant, and dillusional to admit the truth.

This case is not about going after Bonds for roids. Its about lying to a grand jury. In my opinion there is no question that he got up on the stand and blatantly lied to protect his records and his legacy.

I do agree that it is a waste of tax payers money, that he will be found not guilty, and that nothing will have been gained from the trial.

sounds about right.

THAT ^^^

/THREAD
Share 49ersWebzone