LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 300 users in the forums

Lincecum WINS CY YOUNG AGAIN!!!!!!!!!

OH YEAH! Timmay is awesome
Originally posted by RogerCraig:
Nice to see a Bay Area player capture a top prize. Timmy must be high as a kite after winning the award.

Pablo Sandoval should win some kind of award, even if it's only as the heaviest third baseman in the league.

Panda was oh so close to being considered a rookie this season. It sucked that he only missed it by a handful of games. He would be a runaway ROY too if he was eligible.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Congrats Tim. Didn't expect him to win over Wainwright or Carp, but oh well. He's a great pitcher no doubt.
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Do you think Cards fans are a little hot this afternoon?

Quote:
This is highway robbery.
Linecum’s won loss differential is 8 (15-7) & Carpenter’s is 13 (17-4). What’s more is that Carpenter had a better ERA. I guess the only thing that matters is strikeouts. I don’t get it. Seven other guys had 15 wins so what is the big deal there, and three guys had more wins than him. Woops, we already determined that wins and ERA do not matter. I would love a face to face meeting with the two gutless cowards that left Carpenter off the ballot. Is there any way to find out who they are? They would fit well in the Iranian elections. They stink.
Big Jim

I wonder what Timmy's run support avg is compared to Carpenter's.
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by BigRon:
NL Cy Young Award Voting
Player  1st  2nd  3rd  Pts.
Tim Lincecum, SF  11  12  9  100
Chris Carpenter, STL  9  14  7  94
Adam Wainwright, STL  12  5  15  90

If the dope that left Carpenter off the ballot, for pitching 30 less innnings, had put him on, Carpenter wins. We need to find out who that was and send him a gift basket full of Giants paraphernalia.

I think it was Keith Law, can't be 100% positive on that though. He still wouldn't have won, I think it's a 5-3-1 system for the points. Even if the votes for Haren and Vasquez went to Carpenter in the exact same positions, they would have tied at the very least.

OOPS... just saw your post and you are correct about the voting. As far as Keith Law ... I thought only the beat writers had votes. Are you sure that Law has a vote?

Just found it:

Quote:
Two voters, Will Carroll of Baseball Prospectus and Keith Law of ESPN.com, did not include Carpenter on their ballots.

Like you said, they would have tied if either one of them had put them on their ballots.

?????????? How would they have tied if either had put them on ballot? Carp finished 6 pts behind Lincy and 3rd place votes are just worth 1 pt. He would have needed a first and 2nd to win or a first and 3rd to tie.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Glad we have some Cub fans leaving Carpenter completely off their ballot.
Originally posted by BigRon:
NL Cy Young Award Voting
Player  1st  2nd  3rd  Pts.
Tim Lincecum, SF  11  12  9  100
Chris Carpenter, STL  9  14  7  94
Adam Wainwright, STL  12  5  15  90

If the dope that left Carpenter off the ballot, for pitching 30 less innnings, had put him on, Carpenter wins. We need to find out who that was and send him a gift basket full of Giants paraphernalia.

I think it was Keith Law, can't be 100% positive on that though. He still wouldn't have won, I think it's a 5-3-1 system for the points. Even if the votes for Haren and Vasquez went to Carpenter in the exact same positions, they would have tied at the very least.

OOPS... just saw your post and you are correct about the voting. As far as Keith Law ... I thought only the beat writers had votes. Are you sure that Law has a vote?

Just found it:

Quote:
Two voters, Will Carroll of Baseball Prospectus and Keith Law of ESPN.com, did not include Carpenter on their ballots.

Like you said, they would have tied if either one of them had put them on their ballots.

?????????? How would they have tied if either had put them on ballot? Carp finished 6 pts behind Lincy and 3rd place votes are just worth 1 pt. He would have needed a first and 2nd to win or a first and 3rd to tie.

None of it would have mattered if our a*****e writers had put Tim 1st.
Originally posted by 49ersRednGold:

Quote:
This is highway robbery.
Linecum’s won loss differential is 8 (15-7) & Carpenter’s is 13 (17-4). What’s more is that Carpenter had a better ERA. I guess the only thing that matters is strikeouts. I don’t get it. Seven other guys had 15 wins so what is the big deal there, and three guys had more wins than him. Woops, we already determined that wins and ERA do not matter. I would love a face to face meeting with the two gutless cowards that left Carpenter off the ballot. Is there any way to find out who they are? They would fit well in the Iranian elections. They stink.
Big Jim

It was surpisingly very close.. 5.84 runs to 5.83 runs. Wainwright, on the other hand, had over 7 runs per game support.
Originally posted by jrg:

You can take some comfort in the fact that the Cubs "fans" didnt cost Carpenter the win by leaving them completley off.

• JMC52
  • Veteran

Go play with your over priced used computer :P
  • luv49rs
  • Hall of Fame

so bitter james
from keith law

Here were my top 3 for NL Cy Young

My NL Cy Young ballot was

1. Tim Lincecum

2. Javier Vazquez

3. Adam Wainwright

Lincecum was a no-brainer, and it's disappointing to see that a majority of voters on the award whiffed on the easiest part of the three-part question. Lincecum led the NL in FIP (Fielding Independent Pitching) and WAR (Wins Above Replacement), both of which normalize a pitcher's stats to account for the help he received from his defense, and he led both categories by wide margins. He also led the NL in VORP, which adjusts for park but not for defense, by a narrow margin. I understand that many voters are uncomfortable with these advanced stats, but Lincecum also finished second in the NL in (unadjusted) ERA, but threw 36 more innings than the guy in front of him, Chris Carpenter.

Carpenter's innings total was the main reason he ended up off my ballot. He pitched extremely well when on the mound, but not well enough to close the value gap between him and the three pitchers I listed, each of whom threw at least 27 innings more than Carpenter. Both Carpenter and Wainwright received significant help from their defense, while neither Lincecum nor Vazquez could say the same.

As for Vazquez, he ranked ahead of Wainwright in the advanced metrics anyway, but I also gave him extra credit for pitching in the most difficult division in the NL, one in which he had to face two great offenses and only one patsy.

As for the win total of each pitcher: I ignored that, because, as I've said for years, it tells us nothing useful about how well the pitcher performed.
TIMMMMMYYYY!!!
Originally posted by 49ersRednGold:

Quote:
This is highway robbery.
Big Jim

It was surpisingly very close.. 5.84 runs to 5.83 runs. Wainwright, on the other hand, had over 7 runs per game support.

I am sure that was a factor in the decision for some then. Wainwright a lot of wins but coupled with an average of a 7 run run support and a higher ERA and with Carpenter pitching over 30 innings less than either of these guys probably was a big factor in Timmy's win.

And I also wonder how many of Timmy's game ended up being No Decisions when leaving the game with a lead versus the other 2 guys.
Share 49ersWebzone