The 2009 Notre Dame Fighting Irish Thread

YES! Preserve that shutout!!!!!!
Originally posted by IWASATTHECATCH:
YES! Preserve that shutout!!!!!!

Can I quote myself for a "QFT"?

If so, then....

Originally posted by IWASATTHECATCH:
BTW...

Touchdown Jesus has a message for Mark May....

*modded

QFT

^^^^ Religious art is frowed upon on these boards?

Cest' la vie. Can't put a damper on this day.

great way to start the season.. and shoot me a pm of the modded pic.. I missed it
Originally posted by bigfan:
great way to start the season.. and shoot me a pm of the modded pic.. I missed it

ok 1 sec.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Sept. 5 Nevada
Sept. 12 at Michigan
Sept. 19 Michigan State
Sept. 26 at Purdue
Oct. 3 Washington
Oct. 10 Open Date
Oct. 17 USC
Oct. 24 Boston College
Oct. 31 vs. Washington State (at San Antonio, Texas)
Nov. 7 Navy
Nov. 14 at Pittsburgh
Nov. 21 Connecticut
Nov. 28 at Stanford

Michigan, Purdon't, sc, Pitt and Boston College all with convincing wins today.

It's on!

They Said It

Notre Dame head coach Charlie Weis…

On the team’s overall performance:
“In an opener, you always worry about just being a little bit sloppy…I’m sure we’ll find plenty to critique when we watch the tape, but overall I thought the operation, especially in the first half, how everything went, went pretty much like clockwork.”

On Jimmy Clausen’s improvement since last year:
“All the things we’ve been talking about. About his presence in the pocket, and now he's not just a bailout guy anymore…From what I can remember, I can remember him making two mistakes. The one throw to Kyle [Rudolph] down the middle, that could be a home run if we hit him in stride on the play action. Then the one time we threw the fade ball where he got hit in plus territory, you know. They ran one cover, and originally Golden [Tate] was going to run the slant, he tapped and tried to have him run a go, and really I would have liked him run the slant and go ahead. Because you hit Golden on the slant, you have just as easy a chance for him taking it to the house there, too. But other than those two plays, I can't remember a play that he wasn't right on.”

On the defense pitching a shutout despite giving up 307 total yards:
“Well, I mean, I'll take the yards any day of the week. I think the big play, the big play came on the 4th and inches…and [the defense] just stuffed that one. I think that even though there is some play down in plus territory for most of the day, I thought the defense was pretty much on track.”

On Michael Floyd’s 88-yard touchdown in the third quarter:
“The last touchdown, we got the ball, backed up. We're in the third quarter now backed up. And I didn't tell the players at halftime, but I told the coaching staff that I'm throwing a go as quickly as I can throw one. Well, when you start on the three-inch line, you can't really throw that go on the first play. But as soon as I got to the 10 or 11, wherever it was, we were going to lay it up there.”

On how he expects his team to handle such a successful opener:
We're thanking Teddy Roosevelt on that one. Believe it or not we've been living off this little mantra, you know, it's not a motto. We're not T shirt bound or anything. But we're not talking about it, we just want to go out and do something about it, you know. So we're trying to carry that big stick that President Roosevelt talked about.

On being able to get sophomore quarterback Dayne Crist his first game action:
“I thought it was good for him. I kept him in with the first offensive line first, if you noticed, because I wanted him to get used to being in there with the first offensive line. Then we came out there and let him throw a pass right off the bat, too. His first play in, we're backed up a little bit. It's going to be a run. Everyone in the house knows it's going to be a run. He goes and throws the comeback to Deion (Walker) right off the bat. I thought that got Dayne his first little taste where we, you know, we can start growing from there.”

Notre Dame junior quarterback Jimmy Clausen…

On Michael Floyd’s performance:
“He just makes plays every time the ball’s thrown to him.”

Notre Dame senior safety Kyle McCarthy…

On being "businesslike" after the game:
“We know this is just one game, and Coach Weis does a good job of bringing us down to an even keel and really letting us know that the season is a marathon. This is only one game of hopefully 13, so we know we have a big test for us next weekend and that's going to start for us tomorrow.”

On seeing representatives from the Orange Bowl at the game:
“It's nice to have some notoriety back around here after the last couple years. It feels like the old Notre Dame a little bit.”

Notre Dame senior center Eric Olsen…

On the 99-yard touchdown drive:
“I told [the fans] when we started that drive on the one-yard line that we were going 99 yards for the touchdown, and when I got into the huddle I said, 'Don't make me look bad, guys.' I just told them we were going 99 and we did, so I had to show them some love.”

On maintaining a level head after the win:
“It feels good, but I'm already thinking about Michigan. I'm a cynic by nature, and obviously it's something good and we did a great job all around on every facet of the game, but our work's not done yet.”

Notre Dame sophomore tight end Kyle Rudolph…

On his first-quarter touchdown catch:
“We liked the coverage they were going to run in the red zone. It’s something we worked on all week. Jimmy showed a lot of trust in me in throwing the ball up, even with a guy kind of right there, and I just wanted to go up and make a play on the ball.”

Notre Dame junior linebacker Brian Smith…

On getting back to live game action after a long offseason:
“It was a lot of fun. Guys out there getting rowdy, not just offensive guys with offensive guys, defense with the defense, but the team collectively. We had each other's backs. Whenever the offense was in a bad situation, the defense put us in a good situation. We kind of fed off of each other today.”

On making a statement after two seasons filled with adversity:
“We’re not going to be the media’s whipping boy anymore.”

Notre Dame sophomore defensive end Kapron Lewis-Moore…

On his nerves going into his first collegiate game action:
“It wasn't hard to keep my head about me, I was more nervous than anything. I was redshirted last year and going out on the field for the first time in about two years, since high school, was just a great feeling. I felt like I settled down after the first couple of plays.”

On his first fumble recovery:
“I saw the ball on the ground and I was right on it and I was just so happy. It was one of the happiest times of my life.”
Notre Dame and Michigan first played in 1887 in Notre Dame's introduction to football. The Wolverines proceeded to win the first eight contests, then after Notre Dame notched its first win in the series in 1909, Michigan canceled the following year's matchup and boycotted Notre Dame for years.
Thanks to Elmer Layden, Michigan returned to the schedule in 1942, and the University of Michigan beat then #1 Notre Dame in Notre Dame Stadium. The next season, on October 9, 1943, Number 1 ranked Notre Dame defeated Number 2 Michigan in the first matchup of top teams since polls began in 1936., After that, the Wolverines did not schedule the Irish again until the series was renewed in 1978, thanks to the efforts of athletic directors (UM's) Don Canham and (ND's) Moose Krause. Including the 2007 season game, Michigan leads the overall series 20-15-1; however, Notre Dame holds a slight edge of 12-11-1 since 1978. In the most recent series, Notre Dame leads Michigan 4-3. In 2007, both teams were 0-2 for the first time ever. The two programs agreed to a 25 year contract extension in 2007 that will keep the rivalry game going through the 2031 season.

• Ang
  • Hall of Fame

Funny for so many reasons...
is notre dame ranked?
Originally posted by teeohh:
is notre dame ranked?

23rd going into this week.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
is notre dame ranked?

We should be #1

Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
is notre dame ranked?

We should be #1

I just wanna beat the s**t out of Michigan next week. My best friend is a big Michigan fan and all he could say on saturday night was how Nevada is god awful and how great Michigan is after their big win. All I could think was, they beat Western Michigan...
Share 49ersWebzone