There are 167 users in the forums

Phillies Trade For Cliff Lee (Confirmed)

Originally posted by jrg:
Good move for the Phillies.

Lee vs Timmy saturday
Originally posted by PTulini:
Just a thought... The Phillies could move Pedro Martinez to the bullpen? He is getting older, it would keep him healthy, and Brad Lidge has struggled this year. Regardless, the Phils will need to do some shuffling in that pitching rotation.

I was wondering what happens to Pedro.

Phillies have Hamels, Lee, Blanton, Moyer, Happ and Lopez up right now, don't they? That's 6 already. Gonna have to get creative.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Hamels
Lee
Blanton
Moyer
Pedro
No Happ? 7-1.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
If it's not the Giants, I hope Phillies take the NL and win it all.
Hamels
Lee
Blanton
Moyer
Pedro

Haap isnt going to give up his spot for Pedro in my opinion. Haap has been just too good to sit.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Hamels
Lee
Blanton
Moyer
Pedro

Haap isnt going to give up his spot for Pedro in my opinion. Haap has been just too good to sit.

Moyer should be the one moving to the pen imo, unless/until Martinez sucks it up in the rotation
This is a great deal, and even better than people think.

No one is talking about the fact that we got Ben Francisco as well. In not quite full time duty last year he hit about .270 and 19 HRs. With Philly's lineup and park, if he played every day, he could easily ahve at least 25 dingers.

In the short term, this is a huge upgrade with the right handed bat off the bench that the Phils needed. And in the longer run, could be protection for when Ibanez's age or injuries catch up with him and/or when Werth leaves as a FA.

Combine that with not giving up any of our elite prospects, getting a guy almost as good as Halliday, but who makes half as much and is 2 years, younger, and this is a steal of a trade.

Plus, with Pedro and Brett Meyers potentially ready to contribute in a few weeks, our pitching staff could be crazy deep. Espcially if the guys on the DL from our bullpen return to form as well. (If not Pedro or Meyers may take over in some fashion.)

I am beyond thrilled with this trade. Even more so than if we had landed Halliday, but had to give up Happ and our best prospects to do it AND we still needed a RH bat.
Originally posted by TexasNiner:

No one is talking about the fact that we got Ben Francisco as well. In not quite full time duty last year he hit about .270 and 19 HRs. With Philly's lineup and park, if he played every day, he could easily ahve at least 25 dingers.

In the short term, this is a huge upgrade with the right handed bat off the bench that the Phils needed. And in the longer run, could be protection for when Ibanez's age or injuries catch up with him and/or when Werth leaves as a FA.

Combine that with not giving up any of our elite prospects, getting a guy almost as good as Halliday, but who makes half as much and is 2 years, younger, and this is a steal of a trade.

Plus, with Pedro and Brett Meyers potentially ready to contribute in a few weeks, our pitching staff could be crazy deep. Espcially if the guys on the DL from our bullpen return to form as well. (If not Pedro or Meyers may take over in some fashion.)

I am beyond thrilled with this trade. Even more so than if we had landed Halliday, but had to give up Happ and our best prospects to do it AND we still needed a RH bat.

I agree with everything you said. Like I've said multiple times in this thread, this is an excellent deal for you guys. They get a very good pitcher to solidify your rotation for this year and next, and you don't mortgage your future by giving up your 3 top 25 prospects.

Phillies are my second favorite team (not just because of the world series, there are family ties) so I'm excited too.
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Originally posted by TexasNiner:

I agree with everything you said. Like I've said multiple times in this thread, this is an excellent deal for you guys. They get a very good pitcher to solidify your rotation for this year and next, and you don't mortgage your future by giving up your 3 top 25 prospects.

Phillies are my second favorite team (not just because of the world series, there are family ties) so I'm excited too.

Yeah, I'm super excited about the post season now. I'm going to see the Phils play a few games against the Astros in September, and it should be that much better now.

It's such a treat to finally see the Phils not only doing well, but being a consistantly good team who is willing to make the right moves to be competitive with the window they have.

After so many years of having the 9ers be great and Phils dwelling at the bottom of the NL, it's great to see them having such a strong run.

Now, if can just get Pat Gillick as a special advisor to the Yorks, we may be in business.

Pat Gillick is the best GM in baseball.

Everywhere he goes his teams win. He should try his hand on the Pirates or the Royals.

[ Edited by AllTimeGreat on Jul 29, 2009 at 15:09:18 ]

Everywhere he goes his teams win. He should try his hand on the Pirates or the Royals.

Gillick is good, but my hat goes off to Theo Ep with the BoSox
Originally posted by Hollywood49er:

Gillick is good, but my hat goes off to Theo Ep with the BoSox

While Espstein is very good, he also is helped substantially by the big market his team plays in.

Gillick has been with multiple teams and he's turned almost all of them into playoff calibre, world series contending teams at some point during his tenure.

He could if he wanted to right now, but he's still working as an advisor to the Phillies current GM, Ruben Amaro Jr.

He brought 2 Titles north of the border
Share 49ersWebzone