LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 231 users in the forums

Sources: Matt Holliday to Cardinals

• jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by valrod33:
this is a good deal for the cards they needed another bat, but in no way do i think this makes them the team to beat, it hurts me to say this, but the phillies and dodgers are still the best teams in the NL even after this trade

If the Phillies can't add anyone, St. Louis will pass them up.

They're only 2 games ahead now with the team they have..and St. Louis just added Holliday.

If the Phillies now make a deal for Halladay, sure. If not, no way.

We all know the Dodgers are gonna be there..but Philadelphia needs to answer now.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by IdentityCrisis:
Originally posted by jrg:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Bad deal for the Cards who really rolled the dice here. Unless they win the WS and sign Holiday long term they lose. I cannot believe they gave up their #1 prospect for a guy having a down year and could be there just 2 months.

Personally, I think this is going to trigger the Phillies-Jays deal and have Halliday end up in Philadelphia. If that happens.. Philly is going to be a strong favorite over STL to win the NL pennant even with Holiday and Derosa.

1. You think the Cardinals win ONLY if they win the WS and sign him long term?

2. Why wouldn't they sign him in the off season. You have as much reason to think they WILL sign him in the off season as you do to think they won't.

3. Holliday is a National League player who bats .358 in Busch Stadium.

4. Now Philadelphia HAS to match the Cardinals to keep them near the top of the NL. There are a bunch of good teams Dodgers, Cardinals, Phillies, etc. and if they want to stay there..they need to get a deal done.

5. The Cardinals are playing to win now..Wallace was a tough piece to lose, but Holliday coming back to the National League being sandwiched between Pujols & Ludwick is VERY LEGIT for the Cardinals lineup for the near future.

I'm happy with the deal.

Those are all short term goals in which Holliday will help with. However, i doubt the Cards will be the top suitors for him in FA and long term will lose him and have lost Wallace.

Its not necessarily short term if they are able to sign Holliday. We just have to wait and see what happens.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Also, what a lot of people aren't saying anything about.

Oakland is paying a part of Holliday's contract which frees up more cash for the Cardinals to re-sign him in the off season.

Oakland is paying a part of Holliday's contract which frees up more cash for the Cardinals to re-sign him in the off season.

Do you agree then that it would be a poor deal if StL is unable to resign him?
  • jrg
  • Veteran

If we win the WS, no.

If we don't, yes.
what difference does it make for the A's? As soon as they get good theyll trade them for more prospects

If we win the WS, no.

If we don't, yes.

agreed
  • jrg
  • Veteran

If we win the WS, no.

If we don't, yes.

agreed

BUT, I would be shocked if St. Louis didn't re-sign him. They've been wanting a player of this caliber to protect Pujols for a LONG time now. Now they have him, pay him his salary.
Originally posted by valrod33:
this is a good deal for the cards they needed another bat, but in no way do i think this makes them the team to beat, it hurts me to say this, but the phillies and dodgers are still the best teams in the NL even after this trade

If the Phillies can't add anyone, St. Louis will pass them up.

They're only 2 games ahead now with the team they have..and St. Louis just added Holliday.

If the Phillies now make a deal for Halladay, sure. If not, no way.

We all know the Dodgers are gonna be there..but Philadelphia needs to answer now.

well i guess we will agree to disagree, but you guys acutally should be worrying about the Astros more than anything right now
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Bad deal for the Cards who really rolled the dice here. Unless they win the WS and sign Holiday long term they lose. I cannot believe they gave up their #1 prospect for a guy having a down year and could be there just 2 months.

Personally, I think this is going to trigger the Phillies-Jays deal and have Halliday end up in Philadelphia. If that happens.. Philly is going to be a strong favorite over STL to win the NL pennant even with Holiday and Derosa.

1. You think the Cardinals win ONLY if they win the WS and sign him long term?

2. Why wouldn't they sign him in the off season. You have as much reason to think they WILL sign him in the off season as you do to think they won't.

3. Holliday is a National League player who bats .358 in Busch Stadium.

4. Now Philadelphia HAS to match the Cardinals to keep them near the top of the NL. There are a bunch of good teams Dodgers, Cardinals, Phillies, etc. and if they want to stay there..they need to get a deal done.

5. The Cardinals are playing to win now..Wallace was a tough piece to lose, but Holliday coming back to the National League being sandwiched between Pujols & Ludwick is VERY LEGIT for the Cardinals lineup for the near future.

I'm happy with the deal.

You wont be if the Cards dont sign him long term thats for sure. And yes.. I do think that the Cards only win in this deal if they win it all and/or sign him long term. If they dont win this year and he leaves.. then it is a massive fail.

J

If we win the WS, no.

If we don't, yes.

agreed

BUT, I would be shocked if St. Louis didn't re-sign him. They've been wanting a player of this caliber to protect Pujols for a LONG time now. Now they have him, pay him his salary.

The thing is though he said earlier this season he would love to play in New York for either the Yanks or the Mets and those teams both love him as well so it'll be interesting if a small market team can offer enough to him this summer especially when you're dealing with Boras.
I've heard that Holliday is a "baseball rat" abd loves the game. Given a chance to play in a city that worships baseball and the Cardinals he just may fall in love. St. Louis is hardly a small market team and i best he would love to play long term hitting behind Pujols playing in front of adoring fans.

Or he could just be a greedy b*****d and go for the highest contract out there.
Some other team will outbid the cards for holliday
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by socalfan21:

I love how everyone is already calling Holliday a rental player..and teams will out bid them..

We got that extra cap space from Oakland for a REASON. Nobody seems to understand that.
Originally posted by socalfan21:

I love how everyone is already calling Holliday a rental player..and teams will out bid them..

We got that extra cap space from Oakland for a REASON. Nobody seems to understand that.

1.5 million? If you guys are really going to resign him I doubt that is going to help you guys much.
Share 49ersWebzone